Question that no one may have an answer to but its worth a shot

If you’re looking at FSCJ it’s a good cheap program, you won’t get Jax tower and good luck getting to center. Drop the attitude though, people in this career will rip you to sheds and make your life hell for an attitude like that

If you’re looking at FSCJ it’s a good cheap program, you won’t get Jax tower and good luck getting to center. Drop the attitude though, people in this career will rip you to sheds and make your life hell for an attitude like that
He would know, trust me!

Calm down brother.

Here is my 2 cents. im a retired FAA ATC. I was hired in 1982 from the USAF as a Controller. I would be honest and tell you that the outlook is bleek, but not impossible: here is why: There are roughly 15,000 FAA Air Traffic Controllers/Controllers jobs...thats it.

on Aug. 3, 1981, more than 12,000 members of the Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization walked off the job, setting off a chain of events that still effects ATC today. the FAA rebuilt the controller workforce in about 5 years. so 1981-1986 90% of the ATC workforce was the same age. So we all retired within 10 years of each other roughly 2008 to 2018 (25 years and age 50) so FAA needed 12,000 ATC new hires to fill.

The following are from the FAA ATC hiring plan. several years ago.

controller retirements are expected to continue to decline for the next five years to a new level of 200-240 per year through 2028. In the last five years, 3,110 controllers have retired. Fiscal year 2018 retirements were lower than projected. Cumulative Retirement Eligibility has also fallen. Tens of thousands of controllers were hired after the 1981 strike, and at the end of FY 2018 only 25 controllers remain from those who were hired before 1984.

The anticipated number of new controller hires in FY 2019 is 907. This represents a substantial reduction to the FY 2019 target of 1,431

the majority of the FAA controller workforce has been hired in the last 10-15 years and are ages 24-37. There are a relative small number of controllers approaching mandatory retirement at age 56 over the next 15 years

controllers can become eligible under special retirement criteria for air traffic controllers (age 50 with 20 years of “good time” service or any age with 25 years of “good time” service). “Good time” is defined as service in a covered position in Public Law 92-297

Agency projections show that an additional 117 controllers will become eligible to retire in FY 2019. The number of retirement-eligible controllers has been in decline in recent years from the peak and should continue to decline for the next few years.

so in summary you will be competing with everyone else for 100 jobs a year.

Here is my 2 cents. im a retired FAA ATC. I was hired in 1982 from the USAF as a Controller. I would be honest and tell you that the outlook is bleek, but not impossible: here is why: There are roughly 15,000 FAA Air Traffic Controllers/Controllers jobs...thats it.

on Aug. 3, 1981, more than 12,000 members of the Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization walked off the job, setting off a chain of events that still effects ATC today. the FAA rebuilt the controller workforce in about 5 years. so 1981-1986 90% of the ATC workforce was the same age. So we all retired within 10 years of each other roughly 2008 to 2018 (25 years and age 50) so FAA needed 12,000 ATC new hires to fill.

The following are from the FAA ATC hiring plan. several years ago.

controller retirements are expected to continue to decline for the next five years to a new level of 200-240 per year through 2028. In the last five years, 3,110 controllers have retired. Fiscal year 2018 retirements were lower than projected. Cumulative Retirement Eligibility has also fallen. Tens of thousands of controllers were hired after the 1981 strike, and at the end of FY 2018 only 25 controllers remain from those who were hired before 1984.

The anticipated number of new controller hires in FY 2019 is 907. This represents a substantial reduction to the FY 2019 target of 1,431

the majority of the FAA controller workforce has been hired in the last 10-15 years and are ages 24-37. There are a relative small number of controllers approaching mandatory retirement at age 56 over the next 15 years

controllers can become eligible under special retirement criteria for air traffic controllers (age 50 with 20 years of “good time” service or any age with 25 years of “good time” service). “Good time” is defined as service in a covered position in Public Law 92-297

Agency projections show that an additional 117 controllers will become eligible to retire in FY 2019. The number of retirement-eligible controllers has been in decline in recent years from the peak and should continue to decline for the next few years.

so in summary you will be competing with everyone else for 100 jobs a year.
This guy is mostly right, the number of openings will be down to almost laughably low numbers in the coming years. People are starting to realize it's not "the best job in the world", so there will be more people who leave on the own in the coming years, but also things like automation upgrades and the eventual use of video towers or contracting out of the 20-30 level four towers created by 804 will eliminate more jobs then people leaving on their own so it won't create a net increase in hiring.

So this is a interesting time to be a controller, I consider it the last full generation of controlling before AI takes over, I am going to love watching it, especially all these people with a god complex who thought they were Superman and irreplaceable lol.

This guy is mostly right, the number of openings will be down to almost laughably low numbers in the coming years. People are starting to realize it's not "the best job in the world", so there will be more people who leave on the own in the coming years, but also things like automation upgrades and the eventual use of video towers or contracting out of the 20-30 level four towers created by 804 will eliminate more jobs then people leaving on their own so it won't create a net increase in hiring.

So this is a interesting time to be a controller, I consider it the last full generation of controlling before AI takes over, I am going to love watching it, especially all these people with a god complex who thought they were Superman and irreplaceable lol.
Are we gonna revive that thread now?

Back
Top Bottom