Radar only experience options

KrogerC

Lurker
I’m set to separate in the next seven months and I’m interested in applying on one of the next prior experience bids. I’ve worked at two facilities as a radar controller but I’m wanting to get some tower experience is well. How limited will my options likely be in terms of tower and up/down facilities? If necessary, I’m young enough where I could re enlist to get my CTO and still be able to apply with the FAA down the road.

Solution
You don’t need a CTO. I was also radar only, and only got towers and up/downs on my list. You will get your CTO in the FAA. Just like everyone said, be ready to work another job while you wait to get picked up by the FAA. GL.
I’m set to separate in the next seven months and I’m interested in applying on one of the next prior experience bids. I’ve worked at two facilities as a radar controller but I’m wanting to get some tower experience is well. How limited will my options likely be in terms of tower and up/down facilities? If necessary, I’m young enough where I could re enlist to get my CTO and still be able to apply with the FAA down the road.
Literally doesn’t matter if you’re going FAA. The only way it will affect you is if you want a stateside tower contract. And any tower experience you get in the military will barely help in FAA. Just apply and roll with it.

I guess I don't really understand if you're going to separate but willing to re enlist. But. To give you answers, big air force will give you a CTO maybe, but its not guaranteed. Guard can and will give you a CTO if enlisted in that specific UTC (package) and go through the ropes. Basic I'd 8 week, tech school is 4 months, upgrade training anywhere between 4 -9 months. ATC requires a six year commitment but the only big requirement that you have to please is the initial training and 2 weeks of training in the summer a year. Other option is to go to somewhere like advanced ATC, pay for it and come out with a CTO. Not sure if there are any CTI schools that offer a CTO any more or not, but that would be your final option. Always take a peek on USAJOBS for jobs that are looking for people that you could qualify for and maybe get a CTO out of. I've heard of it working the other way (IE someone goes to a army base with just a CTO, and they get them a radar rating while there). Your only options being radar only contract wise are Overseas. As many have said, the FAA doesn't really care, it's just a crap shoot of applying/making it through / waiting. Majority of everything I've ever said has been mentioned a few times on this forum so feel free to search around. There's some great information here. And some shitty advice too

I guess I don't really understand if you're going to separate but willing to re enlist. But. To give you answers, big air force will give you a CTO maybe, but its not guaranteed. Guard can and will give you a CTO if enlisted in that specific UTC (package) and go through the ropes. Basic I'd 8 week, tech school is 4 months, upgrade training anywhere between 4 -9 months. ATC requires a six year commitment but the only big requirement that you have to please is the initial training and 2 weeks of training in the summer a year. Other option is to go to somewhere like advanced ATC, pay for it and come out with a CTO. Not sure if there are any CTI schools that offer a CTO any more or not, but that would be your final option. Always take a peek on USAJOBS for jobs that are looking for people that you could qualify for and maybe get a CTO out of. I've heard of it working the other way (IE someone goes to a army base with just a CTO, and they get them a radar rating while there). Your only options being radar only contract wise are Overseas. As many have said, the FAA doesn't really care, it's just a crap shoot of applying/making it through / waiting. Majority of everything I've ever said has been mentioned a few times on this forum so feel free to search around. There's some great information here. And some shitty advice too
I might be incorrect, but I think ATC is a 4 year commitment now.

FAA only puts out about 2 bids each year for each OTS and prior experience. If you plan on getting out, have a backup plan and another job ready because you’ll be waiting. The last prior experience bid just closed last month and people are just now being notified of making referral lists. On average it takes 7-10 months from referral to start working in the FAA, and now with COVID potentially slowing everything down you’re looking at a longer wait period.

I would recommend either reenlisting to get a CTO (recruiters will allow you to reenlist for 2 years, or extend for 6-12 months), or look into ANG like the previous post mentioned. I’m also in the Air National Guard, that would be another good option for you. You can Palace Front directly in with no break in service. You obviously wouldn’t have to do any basic retraining (basic or tech school). There are 10 ANG ATC units throughout the US. Do some research as to what facility type each base offer and ask if you could enlist and be in the tower UTC so you can get a CTO. We have had several people at my unit come through either to get certs/CTO, or work on their 52 weeks consecutive controlling and then get picked up by FAA. Let me know if you have any questions

I guess I should of clarified. Guard contracts are 6. Active may be 4, but I'm unsure. I know guard requires 6 years for just about every job, but you come in as a E3!! All that money
First term usual is 6/4 years, but the min to reenlist is 2. Recruiters won’t tell you, but if you ask, it is possible and allowed. Although you won’t get any SRB incentives/bonuses this way. My unit is offering 10k sign on bonus for a 6 year ATC contract right now. Most guard units are low on manning right now anyways, so there’s more of a chance there

hes already in the AF as ATC. He didn’t realize he didn’t need a CTO for the FAA, that’s why he was willing to re-enlist if he needed to to get a CTO.

If you didn't apply to this most recent bid, the next bid (assuming they do another this year) would open right around the time you are separating. So you are looking at anywhere from 6 months to years (if you get tier 2'd) just to go through the hiring process. Have a plan. Extending for a few months is always an option.

Also I wouldn't re-enlist just for a CTO since you have no guarantee of getting one. Radar was always hurting for manning so it was rare we were allowed to go to the tower to get qualified. They always ended up trying to bribe you into re-enlisting by vaguely promising you some tower training, and then usually forgetting about it after you re-enlisted.

First term usual is 6/4 years, but the min to reenlist is 2. Recruiters won’t tell you, but if you ask, it is possible and allowed. Although you won’t get any SRB incentives/bonuses this way. My unit is offering 10k sign on bonus for a 6 year ATC contract right now. Most guard units are low on manning right now anyways, so there’s more of a chance there
Our unit the minimum to re enlist is one year. Not sure if it changes depending on the status of a member. But I know people in our unit who just reup for one year until the bonus rolls around

You don’t need a CTO. I was also radar only, and only got towers and up/downs on my list. You will get your CTO in the FAA. Just like everyone said, be ready to work another job while you wait to get picked up by the FAA. GL.

Solution
You can get picked up on a experienced bid. I was radar only as well but got screwed into going to the academy. Beggars can’t be choosers, made it to the FAA regardless

Good luck with the application process, may the odds be ever in your favor

Back
Top Bottom