Recent, En Route trainee advice

AlphaMikeTUL

Lurker
FAA
Facility
TUL Tulsa Tower
Hey everyone, I'm hoping this catches the eye of anyone that has recently gone through the En Route course in OKC. My cousin got picked up and starts the Zoom Basics course 8Sep, then starts En Route in person from Oct23 until about Jan23. I've been through TSEW, TETRA, and the Tower class, but never Basics or En Route. I feel like the most help i'm able to give him is, "shut up and study" and "work on your Alpha-phonetics". Anyone have anything I can help him go over prior to his courses? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hey everyone, I'm hoping this catches the eye of anyone that has recently gone through the En Route course in OKC. My cousin got picked up and starts the Zoom Basics course 8Sep, then starts En Route in person from Oct23 until about Jan23. I've been through TSEW, TETRA, and the Tower class, but never Basics or En Route. I feel like the most help i'm able to give him is, "shut up and study" and "work on your Alpha-phonetics". Anyone have anything I can help him go over prior to his courses? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Basics is a joke. The only test that counts is the final and you only have to pass it to continue. Most of the instruction, at least from my experience, is self study. The instructors do read a bit and the content is very, VERY dry but it's broken down quite a bit to make it understandable to someone with no experience.

Academy does require a bit more work. Lots of self study and study with groups. If they're comfortable with the basics, maybe get ahold of the most recent Academy map and let them start there. There really isn't anything else to be studied before the academy. The NATO alphabet is a tremendous help! Know it so well you can recite it without thinking. Practice with license plates. The labs (nonradar and radar) are worth the most, so understanding the concept and being able to apply it is key, but the instructors are very helpful and there's plenty of time to get it down. For radar, there's a practice lab in the basement for the keyboarding practice.

I have the same date for enroute basics but my academy date is projected for Oct13. I have an aviation background via education (degree) and work experience (arpt ops and faa ops) but from what I hear it's just study study study. Basics: I'm not really worried. Academy: group study is a major key I keep hearing so that's my plan.

Yeah I realize how important the group study is. Pretty much how I made it out of TESEW and TETRA. My tower class was Pass/Pass so there wasn’t that fear of “pass or job is gone” but I still studied my ass off. So I let him know that much of it, but I still came from an ATC background in the military so I had 6 years of it under my belt. Since he’s off the street AND going en route, which I’m not familiar with rules-wise I figured I’d ask here.

I have the same date for enroute basics but my academy date is projected for Oct13. I have an aviation background via education (degree) and work experience (arpt ops and faa ops) but from what I hear it's just study study study. Basics: I'm not really worried. Academy: group study is a major key I keep hearing so that's my plan.
You class 178010?

Yeah I realize how important the group study is. Pretty much how I made it out of TESEW and TETRA. My tower class was Pass/Pass so there wasn’t that fear of “pass or job is gone” but I still studied my ass off. So I let him know that much of it, but I still came from an ATC background in the military so I had 6 years of it under my belt. Since he’s off the street AND going en route, which I’m not familiar with rules-wise I figured I’d ask here.
You still studied with in a pass/pass class? My hats off to you. All I did was chase skirts around Bricktown and get blacked out drunk everyday after class and all weekend lol.

You didn’t take the MMPI?
lol I got hired VRA ex military controller (Army) during the George Bush administration. I did nothing but the psychological evaluation. My military security clearance crossed over. And got a 20k bonus. I can retire in 9 years. My entire era of FAA controllers are BIG drinkers

lol I got hired VRA ex military controller (Army) during the George Bush administration. I did nothing but the psychological evaluation. My military security clearance crossed over. And got a 20k bonus. I can retire in 9 years. My entire era of FAA controllers are BIG drinkers
Marion Blakey sends her regards.

Back
Top Bottom