Retiring from FAA and National guard.

squawkIFR

Trusted Contributor
I have been in the FAA for 2 years now and I am in the process of buying back my military time from when I was active duty Air Force for 6 years. When I separated from active duty I joined the Air National Guard and have been in for 2 years. From what I’ve read you can’t have years count towards both FAA retirement and towards military retirement. So my question is, if I buy back my active duty military time for the FAA and then subsequently retire from the National Guard, how will that effect my pension for both FAA and National Guard?

I have been in the FAA for 2 years now and I am in the process of buying back my military time from when I was active duty Air Force for 6 years. When I separated from active duty I joined the Air National Guard and have been in for 2 years. From what I’ve read you can’t have years count towards both FAA retirement and towards military retirement. So my question is, if I buy back my active duty military time for the FAA and then subsequently retire from the National Guard, how will that effect my pension for both FAA and National Guard?
Yes, You can buy your time back and have it counts towards both the FAA and national guard retirement. It’s written in the law, as well as the FERS handbook. The caveat is that national guard retirement is based on points (your active duty is now considered points towards that calculation). What you’re referring to would be an active duty retirement (20 years) with pension, you can choose one or the other, but those years can’t count as both. I will dig more into it and find the references when I have time. I’m in the same boat, almost 20 years national guard, more than half was active duty, and I’m a civilian 2152 with FERS, buying back my time as well

Yes, You can buy your time back and have it counts towards both the FAA and national guard retirement. It’s written in the law, as well as the FERS handbook. The caveat is that national guard retirement is based on points (your active duty is now considered points towards that calculation). What you’re referring to would be an active duty retirement (20 years) with pension, you can choose one or the other, but those years can’t count as both. I will dig more into it and find the references when I have time. I’m in the same boat, almost 20 years national guard, more than half was active duty, and I’m a civilian 2152 with FERS, buying back my time as well
Cool thanks for the info!

Here’s an exact scenario (Link) along with references to US Code and FERS handbook within the article.
10 USC 12731
FERS Handbook section 22A4.1-1

Back
Top Bottom