Scale of 1-10, how hard?

mvyorkie009

Lurker
At that point, you shouldn’t be making multiple A1 errors all in one clearance. Violating airspace, screwing up departure clearances, not seeing holding traffic, etc. All can’t happen if you want to pass.

That being said, one of my good friends in my class did have 3 A1’s in one eval, but still did well in his other two and passed.
just stating how points/errors can rack up real fast.
yorkie

PushingTin

Trusted Contributor
FAA
Facility
ARB Ann Arbor Tower
Since the stakes are so high for your life and career; there is nothing that can fully prepare you for the nerves of the evals. I breezed through the training and was fairly arrogant about the Evals going in... but that morning my palms were sweating my mouth was dry and I was super nervous. Obviously the best way in your control to offset that is by knowing your shit, but like others have said: you really cant preplan or script the eval or ask what are examples of errors etc. If you understand the rules and have the aptitude to adapt and decisiveness to make proper moves in a timely manner, youll be fine. (The really shi*&y thing is for those who just get super nervous and bomb the eval, but clearly were good enough and could be great controllers... thats pretty tragic and sucky and sad.) If you don't, you may still squeak through and be a mediocre controller for 20 years, which IMO would suck at the enroute level and make those Thunderstorm'y summer nights hell on earth for your mental health and blood pressure. Silver lining, you will end up as an FLM or in TMU within 5 years! :lol:

What is the current average success rates for enroute classes... like 50%?

BAS92

Trusted Contributor
FAA
Facility
ZAU Chicago Center
PushingTin I don’t get nervous on anything, and I felt like I was going to puke my guts out before my second eval 😂.

BAS92

Trusted Contributor
FAA
Facility
ZAU Chicago Center
The best feeling is passing after 2 and not mentioning it to the evaluator of the third one.
After my second, I needed a 15 on the third. Best part was my evaluator was new, so her scoring had to be looked over by the lead evaluator after.. Meanwhile I’m just freaking out in the hallway wondering why it was taking so long 🙃