Shoot The Breeze 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you guys watch this CNN guy get destroyed by Rogan?

The entire show was pretty good; it's clear that Rogan likes and respects Gupta quite a bit but wouldn't let him escape that criticism off the bat. Gupta squirmed a bit and modestly conceded because he is still counting on CNN for a paycheck; I very much believe he knows CNN was 100% wrong about it.

They had a pretty good talk about gain of function research towards the end as well. And of course it wouldn't be a JRE Show without him talking about weed for a good portion of it too; Gupta used to be/still is one of the larger medical media figures and it was a big deal when he publicly changed his stance on medical marijuana about a decade ago, especially because he used to be super critical of it.

Honestly, the entire show made me respect Gupta a bit more overall. Say what you will about his CNN connection, but I watched a guy take a beating in the first 5 minutes about his employer and then honestly discuss a lot of things including how he changed his mind/admitted he was wrong on something in a field he has expertise on. Now if he could just do the same thing again on his position of single-payer, we could use a lot more people like that in positions of power.

The entire show was pretty good; it's clear that Rogan likes and respects Gupta quite a bit but wouldn't let him escape that criticism off the bat. Gupta squirmed a bit and modestly conceded because he is still counting on CNN for a paycheck; I very much believe he knows CNN was 100% wrong about it.

They had a pretty good talk about gain of function research towards the end as well. And of course it wouldn't be a JRE Show without him talking about weed for a good portion of it too; Gupta used to be/still is one of the larger medical media figures and it was a big deal when he publicly changed his stance on medical marijuana about a decade ago, especially because he used to be super critical of it.

Honestly, the entire show made me respect Gupta a bit more overall. Say what you will about his CNN connection, but I watched a guy take a beating in the first 5 minutes about his employer and then honestly discuss a lot of things including how he changed his mind/admitted he was wrong on something in a field he has expertise on. Now if he could just do the same thing again on his position of single-payer, we could use a lot more people like that in positions of power.
Im listening thru it right now. Honestly they are having a good discussion, but its one of those episodes where ole Rogan is kind of talking out of his league and talking over the guy who he should be listening to at times, in stark contrast to the guy the other day whose world view he seemed to mostly agree with and wasn't as argumentative and just kind of lapped up everything he said.

Truly is a microcosm of the rona debate lmao.

Im listening thru it right now. Honestly they are having a good discussion, but its one of those episodes where ole Rogan is kind of talking out of his league and talking over the guy who he should be listening to at times, in stark contrast to the guy the other day whose world view he seemed to mostly agree with and wasn't as argumentative and just kind of lapped up everything he said.

Generally speaking, If Rogan isn’t talking about weed or mixed martial arts he’s out of his league lol.

Generally, he does a good job of asking questions and letting the person he is speaking with determine the direction of the discussion. It’s annoying when he or the person he is interviewing talk over each other. I think he had an episode with Neil Degrasse Tyson and NDT just talked over him the whole time like an asshole.

From the start up to when he really goes in on him about CNN just over an hour in was really good, and the last 30 minutes or so when they talk about gain of function was good too. I listen to probably one out of every four episodes, it really depends on his guests; I listen to all comedians and then experts in things that interest me. Those tend to avoid the talking over each other problem most of the time.

But you're right, the experts/career professionals he is friends with (like Steven Rinella or Mike Baker just within the last week or two) tend to bore me when they aren't funny and there isn't much discussion of anything. Those I skip entirely.

From the start up to when he really goes in on him about CNN just over an hour in was really good, and the last 30 minutes or so when they talk about gain of function was good too. I listen to probably one out of every four episodes, it really depends on his guests; I listen to all comedians and then experts in things that interest me. Those tend to avoid the talking over each other problem most of the time.

But you're right, the experts/career professionals he is friends with (like Steven Rinella or Mike Baker just within the last week or two) tend to bore me when they aren't funny and there isn't much discussion of anything. Those I skip entirely.
Ya same probably a less frequent listener than that. when he has an comedian on and they start talking about "the store" or grinding my eyes fuckin glaze over, same with the mma guys. I just don't care. Typically if it's someone who has something interesting to say on a topic I like I listen and thats about it. I lost a lot of respect for NDT after his Rogan appearances, dude is a blowhard, and I typically eat up the science/tech episodes. I really like Jack Carr's books a lot, so he's an automatic watch too, though his politics bug me sometimes.

Mike Baker episodes I begrudgingly listen to but the are mostly shit. I'll fuckin fight you about Rinella though. That dude is living my goddamn dream life, is a great outdoor writer and I soak up everything he has to say. Rinella has really funny stories, if you are into the outdoors and/or hunting he's entertaining as shit. His Buffalo book was super interesting.

I think I'm about halfway thru the Gupta ep and you can tell dude is getting a little frustrated at Joe's inability to distinguish between anecdotal stories and peer reviewed data.

Why do you guys love a pot smoker that moved to Texas. How can anyone trust someone like that
I personally think Rogan himself is kind of a moron and I don't take what he says as important or useful. His podcast draws some really interesting guests though, and a lot of them have worthwhile and interesting things to say. I bet his pod makes up less than 20 percent of my podcast intake, but it can be entertaining.

I know reddit tells you he's a bad bad boy though, so it's whatever homie. Do you.

As far as TX goes.... the part he lives in (hill country) is pretty damn cool. One of my favorite parts of the US. Real weird cultural/society/ideological Mashup, it's got something for everyone, and it's pretty scenic too.

Rogan is completely on point when he is taking CNN to task for the ivermectin thing though.

Don Lemon trying to backpedal is hilarious and sad, too, but of course Gupta doesn’t have the spine to stand up for Rogan and call them out for all the times they weren’t fully truthful, instead of spouting half truths.

Lemon just sounds like a smug asshole who knows he’s toeing the line by smearing ivermectin as horse dewormer, and then in the next breath thinks it’s totally okay that it’s been prescribed in humans for another disease. It’s not okay to make fun of/smear people for using ivermectin for river blindness, but it is okay for them attempting to use it for Covid? That literally makes no sense.

I lost a lot of respect for NDT after his Rogan appearances, dude is a blowhard, and I typically eat up the science/tech episodes.

Mike Baker episodes I begrudgingly listen to but the are mostly shit. I'll fuckin fight you about Rinella though.

I think I'm about halfway thru the Gupta ep and you can tell dude is getting a little frustrated at Joe's inability to distinguish between anecdotal stories and peer reviewed data.

I also dropped off the NDT wagon after listening to his long-form stuff that wasn't Star Talk; too much smugness when he is being candid and leads me to believe he has been around too many "yes" men or fans who stroke his ego for too long. I like Rinella and what he's about as well, but he is boring on JRE to me as it all seems pretty cyclical babble for 3 hours. Gupta and Rogan both seem to get frustrated with each other while only being able to half-explain their positions effectively. Rogan can't extrapolate/interpret data to save his life and Gupta can't directly answer questions when it comes to natural immunity because he either thinks he will get in trouble or thinks he can't give candid answers.
Why do you guys love a pot smoker that moved to Texas. How can anyone trust someone like that

HOW DARE WE LIKE THINGS THAT ARE DIFFERENT FROM OTHER THINGS!
I personally think Rogan himself is kind of a moron and I don't take what he says as important or useful.

I think Rogan has even regularly said he is a moron and people shouldn't listen to him. One of his funniest stand-up lines to me is that he said he looks like a thumb with two thumbs and then closed his eyes and held his thumbs up to his bald head. I still think of that line and laugh from time to time.

Don Lemon trying to backpedal is hilarious and sad, too, but of course Gupta doesn’t have the spine to stand up for Rogan and call them out for all the times they weren’t fully truthful, instead of spouting half truths.

Much like a tree falling in the woods: does CNN really exist if you're under 45 years old? I mean, we know it exists; but does it really?

Hey guys I got the vaccine 7 months ago and it literally doesn’t effect my life at all. Hardly even think of it. Imagine loosing your career over just the flu vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom