Spouse Resources Available?

StealthChain

Trusted Contributor
Anyone know of any resources available through the FAA or NATCA available to spouses on help finding employment or any form of support? Having been in the military, which I know this is not, the DOD has all sorts of resources specifically for helping spouses. Obviously controllers don't move around nearly as often, but it is common place, as far as I can tell, for controllers to end up somewhere they don't have any friends or family to help navigate the new city or town.

Yes, there are plenty of job search sites out there, I'm just curious if there is anything created for the purpose of helping controller's families for such a thing.

Have her apply during the next off the street bid, husband/wife combos are one of the fastest growing and newest dynamics poisoning and ruining the career but the FAA promotes it, there are even rules that help spouses get assigned to the same facility.
That has crossed my mind, but she is over the age for application (I barely made the cut when I originally applied). I've also considered seeing if there are civilian positions at my facility, but there isn't anything right now that I have seen.

That has crossed my mind, but she is over the age for application (I barely made the cut when I originally applied). I've also considered seeing if there are civilian positions at my facility, but there isn't anything right now that I have seen.
RPO positions may be available depending on where you're at.

Some type of office/admin job with the agency? Or somewhere else in the Federal Govt? The Government is one of the few places still hiring professionals right now.

Have her apply during the next off the street bid, husband/wife combos are one of the fastest growing and newest dynamics poisoning and ruining the career but the FAA promotes it, there are even rules that help spouses get assigned to the same facility.
How dare they

RPO positions may be available depending on where you're at.
Hand't thought of that, I'll have to look into it.
Some type of office/admin job with the agency? Or somewhere else in the Federal Govt? The Government is one of the few places still hiring professionals right now.
Anything government would be ideal. We've looked on usajobs. Just didn't know if the FAA or NATCA had connections or programs with specific companies to provide opportunities.

No, neither the FAA nor NATCA has any support for helping spouses relocate. Unless they join the agency there isn't much done for them.

I mean this truthfully, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, use these faa resources. If you seek help with housing for instance-they look at craigslist and zillow. If you see an email promoting mental health and therapy, congrats on losing your medical. Unionplus and word of mouth are pretty reliable. Tl:dr if you are searching for this through the faa stop

I mean this truthfully, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, use these faa resources. If you seek help with housing for instance-they look at craigslist and zillow. If you see an email promoting mental health and therapy, congrats on losing your medical. Unionplus and word of mouth are pretty reliable. Tl:dr if you are searching for this through the faa stop
Nothing like this, I know those kinds of things can backfire. It was strictly for job search or "things to do in your new area" kind of thing.

No, neither the FAA nor NATCA has any support for helping spouses relocate. Unless they join the agency there isn't much done for them.

This would be a good idea for Regional NATCA to have a committee or support group dedicated to new hires/relocation or a Point of Contact in each facility that would take the time finding a house/child care/etc.. within reason naturally as I know Military Spousal groups or FRG is extremely toxic with self importance.

On the flip side I back PhillyTroll, mostly because of my personal experience, do not use FAA resources especially pertaining to medical clearance.

This would be a good idea for Regional NATCA to have a committee or support group dedicated to new hires/relocation or a Point of Contact in each facility that would take the time finding a house/child care/etc.. within reason naturally as I know Military Spousal groups or FRG is extremely toxic with self importance.

On the flip side I back PhillyTroll, mostly because of my personal experience, do not use FAA resources especially pertaining to medical clearance.
This is pretty much what I was thinking. With the addition of having contact with hiring/recruiters/job placement companies that wouldn't charge a fee to the person for helping them find jobs.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. With the addition of having contact with hiring/recruiters/job placement companies that wouldn't charge a fee to the person for helping them find jobs.
That is the difference between a Union and the Military though. NEX/AAFES (if memory serves) have slots allocated to dependents and spouses while drawing their budget and salary from NAF (Non-Appropriated Funds), which inherently is a really good thing but most couples in the Agency either already have jobs or made a decision to have a parent stay at home and no such equivalent organisation exists for the FAA. Also, before someone trolls you, controllers tend (for the most part) to marry like minded individuals who take the initiative through USAJOBS (for Federal Jobs) or other job sites so having a contract with a private company would seem like a waste of time for the Union. It really is all about education, asking people, seeking information on how to: Make a USAJOBS resume, understanding the KSA (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities), including the keywords so that a resume is flagged by the computer to be galanced at by a human... These were just several things I found out by on my own initiative but people have to display it, which many do not, before people are inclined to help.

Perhaps instead of a committee one giant "cheat sheet" document might be more beneficial for the spousal unit with correct resource links attached. There was a time Facilities did "Welcome Packets" that included Child Care facilities, housing areas, but I am not sure what happened to those.

Yeah there should really be like a database where people can consolidate information specific to working and living somewhere
I know your nudging people towards the wiki but I believe the reason that facilities stopped doing this is because there are too many variables and things change too often. People are spread out 50 miles in any direction of the facility... So you'd like housing, child care, dentist, and restaurant recommendations for 100+ miles?? That's the beauty of the internet, use Google or Yelp or Nextdoor.

Back
Top Bottom