STAR Clearance

MJ

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have to explicitly clear an a/c for an arrival if its part of the filed/issued route?

Solution
Do you have to explicitly clear an a/c for an arrival if its part of the filed/issued route?

No. The lateral portion of an arrival is included as part of the clearance and functions just like a fancily-named airway. However, an aircraft may not change altitude to meet the altitude restrictions unless explicitly cleared to "descend via" the STAR.
That clearance is issued before departure. The '...then as filed' covers the STAR. Unless the STAR is changed while enroute.

ref 7110.65 4-2-1 (d)

Also, is this a troll or something else that's gone way over my head, sir MJ?

Last edited:
The controller would need to issue a descent / "descend via" clearance. Otherwise, when does the pilot start the descent if they're in level cruise at FL340 and the altitude of the first STAR fix is at-or-above 16,000?

That clearance is issued before departure. The '...then as filed' covers the STAR. Unless the STAR is changed while enroute.

ref 7110.65 4-2-1 (d)

Also, is this a troll or something else that's gone way over my head, sir MJ?
No troll. I’m asking about the in flight part though, not the issuance/ reading of the clearance.
Like how an approach clearance has to be explicitly given even if the route is the same as the approach.

ex: a/c route is BAZBL BAATS RIICE RIICE8 and is cleared direct BAZBL, is there “cleared RIICE8 arrival” or something similar requirement.

No troll. I’m asking about the in flight part though, not the issuance/ reading of the clearance.
Like how an approach clearance has to be explicitly given even if the route is the same as the approach.

ex: a/c route is BAZBL BAATS RIICE RIICE8 and is cleared direct BAZBL, is there “cleared RIICE8 arrival” or something similar requirement.
I’ve always included the “XXX Arrival” part in all FRC, if it is included in the flight plan.

No. The lateral portion of an arrival is included as part of the clearance and functions just like a fancily-named airway. However, an aircraft may not change altitude to meet the altitude restrictions unless explicitly cleared to "descend via" the STAR.

Solution
Back
Top Bottom