STARS Tips/Tricks

Won't flash to adjacent facility, but it should?

Forcing a flash from IF, but is on a correct NAS code. You'll need the adjacent facility codes i.e. YYY is one of mine, but works like this.

F9 4250 YYY ENTER

Then, reattempt the flash handoff. You have to take it out of IF first.

Will force it to the sector you are trying to flash to like the old ARTS FORCE method. Each facility has a 3 letter or digit code.
This would help us a lot at my Tracon. What facility you at? So I can get my tech ops guy to talk to your tech ops guy for the patch lol

F16 is just a macro button, we use it for that as well but you can bind any longer command to it.

Anyone else have issues where you sign on and then a minute or so later, all of the wx becomes unselected randomly even though it's enabled on your pref sets? It's a super annoying issue. I can either just enable them all again or sign on with someone else's initials and put one of their pref sets in and then sign back on to mine and it'll be good again. Any permanent solutions? I told my stars guy and he seemed uninterested

Anyone else have issues where you sign on and then a minute or so later, all of the wx becomes unselected randomly even though it's enabled on your pref sets? It's a super annoying issue. I can either just enable them all again or sign on with someone else's initials and put one of their pref sets in and then sign back on to mine and it'll be good again. Any permanent solutions? I told my stars guy and he seemed uninterested
This has been a STARS issue for years. Here at PCT, they "fixed" it by running a macro in the background after you sign in to turn WX on without you having to do anything. The problem with this fix is that if you type something in the 5ish seconds that it takes to run the macro, you can interrupt the macro which makes it not work.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a good fix for the issue that works 100% of the time. I tend to be a quick typer so I run into this issue quite often.

May I ask what facility you are at?

AW

The weather thing is annoying… had it happen to me yesterday. Took about 10-15 seconds for it to pop up after I had to enable all of my settings to turn it back on again.

Reviving this thread for a question -

The Pref Set of one of the controllers here has a weird thing we can’t fix. The unlabeled ADS-B quick look preview button in the top left corner displays the squawk code of most/all targets on other pref sets when depressed, but it doesn’t on the one she based hers off. We can’t find the command to toggle that on/off. Any ideas?
If anyone randomly has this issue, we finally found the solution - There’s a box in the DCB shift menu labeled “BEACON MODE-2” that was activated, apparently it needs to be deactivated to display beacon codes.

Anyone have luck with imputing a VFR flight plan in to the NAS from STARS when a pop up calls up? What I mean is when ever the A/C calls up I try to input the FP as off of the XXX270030 (or wherever it is) going to ABC. I usually get a format error. However when I just put the arrival airport only the FP defaults that the A/C departed from our primary airport. I guess not that big of a deal considering it’s VFR but would like to know if I’m doing something wrong.
Don’t use a radial/DME fix and just type the nearest satellite airport, splat, destination and then continue inputting the rest of the CFTAP.

Back
Top Bottom