Hardship for parent with Dementia

Lump88

Has anyone submitted a hardship to take care of their parent with dementia? We have doctors notes and a letter from Family stating why they can’t be the caretaker. Just looking for general tips prior to submitting.

Has anyone submitted a hardship to take care of their parent with dementia? We have doctors notes and a letter from Family stating why they can’t be the caretaker. Just looking for general tips prior to submitting.
Get a medical power of attorney, helps a ton and it’s pretty easy to do usually just need a notary

Make sure to provide info on why your parent can’t move to where you live to get the care they need. It’s bullshit and shouldn’t be needed, but the FAA really wants you to prove that you have to move to your parent and not the other way around.

This is important! The agency knows what the process for transferring a patient is like and quite often is relatively less difficult to move them than getting a hardship approved. I agree that is bullshit, but you definitely need to be prepared to document the reasons why your parent can’t be transferred to where you are.

My mother in law has dementia, and she lived with us until it got to the point where it wasn’t safe for her, or us to have her without having 24/7 professional caregivers, so I understand the very difficult and painful path that lies ahead for you. Hopefully you can get your hardship approved! 🙏

This is important! The agency knows what the process for transferring a patient is like and quite often is relatively less difficult to move them than getting a hardship approved. I agree that is bullshit, but you definitely need to be prepared to document the reasons why your parent can’t be transferred to where you are.

My mother in law has dementia, and she lived with us until it got to the point where it wasn’t safe for her, or us to have her without having 24/7 professional caregivers, so I understand the very difficult and painful path that lies ahead for you. Hopefully you can get your hardship approved! 🙏
Yes, we thought about that. But moving her out of her known environment, where she is currently familiar enough could just make things worse. Not only does she have dementia, but she has depression because her son unexpectedly passed away about a year ago and she’s struggling with that as well. Still trying to get our ducks in a row but all of this is great info!

I was in the Great Lakes area trying to get to the NE to help my mom take care of my dad who had dementia because she also works and couldn’t stay home all the time. I was denied.

I was in the Great Lakes area trying to get to the NE to help my mom take care of my dad who had dementia because she also works and couldn’t stay home all the time. I was denied.

Yep you have to be the sole person available to be a care taker. Looked into it as well to also help my dad with my mom but since he’s there and capable it wouldn’t get approved.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm the durable poa for medical and financial matters and executor to the estate. The person has no living kin and no primary caregiver, so I would assume the caregiver role. Only caveat is I'm not related to the person.

Make sure your doctor’s note isn’t suggestive, but definitive that you MUST move there for their well-being. One word in my doctor’s note was the difference in my hardship being approved verses denied (I had to get the new note that was definitive, because I was given a heads up it was going to get denied).

Back
Top Bottom