Stuck in a holding pattern at a facility

*Trying to resist the urge to say something about IQ tests and tower flowers

Are you saying you think tower controllers are idiots? So apparently you are a center controller. So you think you could work any tower in the system? And when you can’t make it at one what does that say about you?

Well

yeah there is little hope for you if you cant get through ground control lol. But I think we are generally speaking at those individuals who are skilled enough to make it through ground control. But I personally have no illusions about the complexity of the radar environment especially on a weather day. I'm definitely advocating for those individuals to get recycled to enroute. In other cases some controllers for so,e reason may get the radar flick better than the tower.

Yeah man I worked at COU with midwest and we didnt have a radar; and when Mizzou had a big football game.....that place got dumb lol!
Thats where I'm headed next!

Well im at a 5 Class d trying to move up to a 8 to get my feet wet before i try to head home to ATL. But trying to find a level 8 tower only out of the cold is turning out to be a monumental task lol.
KDVT. 99 degrees out in the middle of April. They're currently averaging more ops/hours than every tower in the country aside from ATL, ORD, LAX, and DFW. They should be a 9 soon. If you can make it there you can make it anywhere.

KDVT. 99 degrees out in the middle of April. They're currently averaging more ops/hours than every tower in the country aside from ATL, ORD, LAX, and DFW. They should be a 9 soon. If you can make it there you can make it anywhere.

So working as hard as someone at a big international/hub airport for a third less pay? You can keep that haha. Personal opinion but I'm not trying to get my shit pushed in 8 hours a day for the minimum amount of pay, I try and maximize my dollars per movement the best I can. That ain't it. To each his own though. Get them bragging rights if you aren't getting the bread I guess.
My life is fantastic, thanks for asking.

I wasn't asking. People with attitudes like that towards thier coworkers are off-putting to me. They put thier time in, just like you did, and in many cases in a higher cost of living area while trying to get certified at that center/big tracon that's a hell of a lot tougher to certify at. They had to do the poor trainee thing already. It's not a consolation prize to save pay. It's a contractually obligated rule.

I have yet to meet anyone who shares your opinion (I've met a few) who isn't just jealous and bitter because they are stuck where they are and haven't gotten thier shot to be a hero controller at a big house yet. Seems to be a theme.

So working as hard as someone at a big international/hub airport for a third less pay? You can keep that haha. Personal opinion but I'm not trying to get my shit pushed in 8 hours a day for the minimum amount of pay, I try and maximize my dollars per movement the best I can. That ain't it. To each his own though. Get them bragging rights if you aren't getting the bread I guess.

I mean, I personally wouldn't do it. But for somebody that eventually wants to work 'shit pusher' traffic and not be in the cold, it's not the worst place in the world. And you can certainly do worse than making $120k+ in a place like Phoenix.

Did they take away their yard time???
Last I heard they repurposed it, the trainees are kept in kennels out back and the controllers all have sleeping bags, it's pretty much one big screwy sleep over with a bunch of cranky/sexually creepy old guys.

Level 8 or 9 VFR tower is the worst job in the agency
I'm not sure I'd call it the worst job period. No mids, no snitch, less managerial oversight, weather days are a break instead of a burden.

But they certainly are the worst value. For the amount of actual brain work you do, you are severely underpaid.

They dug the yard up to install double wide trailers with bathrooms in them because OSHA said with the influx of trainees we don’t have have enough bathrooms.

No, I’m not joking. They’re literally digging up the yard in front of the Tracon as we speak. Broke ground 2 weeks ago.

So working as hard as someone at a big international/hub airport for a third less pay? You can keep that haha. Personal opinion but I'm not trying to get my shit pushed in 8 hours a day for the minimum amount of pay, I try and maximize my dollars per movement the best I can.

Bing Bing Bing!

Most amount of money for the least amount of work. Only issue is if my current facility gets put on the downgrade chopping block I'll be scrambling to get out...

They dug the yard up to install double wide trailers with bathrooms in them because OSHA said with the influx of trainees we don’t have have enough bathrooms.

No, I’m not joking. They’re literally digging up the yard in front of the Tracon as we speak. Broke ground 2 weeks ago.
So the facility wouldn't even have the infrastructure to support national average staffing with an average number of trainees? It's almost like this could be a cost effective opportunity to build to a new facility that is up to code where people could afford to have a decent standard of living

It only causes more problems because of a bad attitude. With the right attitude knowing you have a fantastic job I think it makes people work harder. We all signed up knowing you might be somewhere you don’t want to be. If where you are is your only problem but you are doing the job you love, then you do in fact have better than most. Im not saying it’s ideal but then find something that makes you happy while you are there either at work or at home.
Spoken like someone who doesn’t understand what it’s like to live somewhere they don’t want to live

So the facility wouldn't even have the infrastructure to support national average staffing with an average number of trainees? It's almost like this could be a cost effective opportunity to build to a new facility that is up to code where people could afford to have a decent standard of living
Westchester County or GTFO. Island's harrible.

Well

yeah there is little hope for you if you cant get through ground control lol. But I think we are generally speaking at those individuals who are skilled enough to make it through ground control. But I personally have no illusions about the complexity of the radar environment especially on a weather day. I'm definitely advocating for those individuals to get recycled to enroute. In other cases some controllers for so,e reason may get the radar flick better than the tower.

Yeah man I worked at COU with midwest and we didnt have a radar; and when Mizzou had a big football game.....that place got dumb lol!
Hey, I currently work MZU and SGF

Ask your boy Dean Iacopelli, he's from N90 and had a huge amount of influence for NCEPT

Dean has been retired for about a year now, but even before he retired.....He didn't set foot at N90 for the last 4 or 5 years, except maybe to attend some meeting downstairs with the ATM and Kevin Maney. The rank and file working upstairs never saw him, and I'm willing to bet that any controller that came to N90 in the last 5 years or so likely has no idea who he is, or what he looks like.

You could say that....They built an extension to the parking lot in the north grass field, and now they're putting new office trailers in what used to be our front lawn, so we no longer have any significant grass left in the facility to look at anymore, not to mention that we spend so much time inside that building that there's no time for anything else. During the late fall, winter, early spring months, it's dark outside when you come in for the dayshift, and by the time you're leaving the 10 hour shift, it's dark outside again.

Back
Top Bottom