Stuck in a holding pattern at a facility

So working as hard as someone at a big international/hub airport for a third less pay? You can keep that haha. Personal opinion but I'm not trying to get my shit pushed in 8 hours a day for the minimum amount of pay, I try and maximize my dollars per movement the best I can. That ain't it. To each his own though. Get them bragging rights if you aren't getting the bread I guess.

I wasn't asking. People with attitudes like that towards thier coworkers are off-putting to me. They put thier time in, just like you did, and in many cases in a higher cost of living area while trying to get certified at that center/big tracon that's a hell of a lot tougher to certify at. They had to do the poor trainee thing already. It's not a consolation prize to save pay. It's a contractually obligated rule.

I have yet to meet anyone who shares your opinion (I've met a few) who isn't just jealous and bitter because they are stuck where they are and haven't gotten thier shot to be a hero controller at a big house yet. Seems to be a theme.

I wasnt asking for your opinion either but here you are. I'm at a highly desirable facility so your point is moot. Life is fantastic here bud.

Why is there so many seemingly defensive/butthurt people on here? lol some of y'all jump at the chance to get offended at shit

Why is there so many seemingly defensive/butthurt people on here? lol some of y'all jump at the chance to get offended at shit
Maybe I gotta put my years in and get it

How long has N90 been 6 day work weeks?

I'm about to retire next month. I've spent my entire career here at N90, most of it was spent doing 6 day work weeks. Back in the 90's it wasn't scheduled as it has been for the last 15 years or so, but even when it was call up overtime, it was pretty regular. Only for a brief amount of time during the first year or so of the white book did we have an interruption of the overtime, and management quickly found out much to their dismay that this place couldn't function properly without it. The EWR area is guaranteed to be on mandatory 6 day workweeks for at least another decade, maybe more if the checkout rates stay at their historical levels. It's very likely that place stays like this long after I pass away. It is what it is. Good luck to the new generation of N90 controllers. I did my turn, and now my watch is over!

I'm about to retire next month. I've spent my entire career here at N90, most of it was spent doing 6 day work weeks. Back in the 90's it wasn't scheduled as it has been for the last 15 years or so, but even when it was call up overtime, it was pretty regular. Only for a brief amount of time during the first year or so of the white book did we have an interruption of the overtime, and management quickly found out much to their dismay that this place couldn't function properly without it. The EWR area is guaranteed to be on mandatory 6 day workweeks for at least another decade, maybe more if the checkout rates stay at their historical levels. It's very likely that place stays like this long after I pass away. It is what it is. Good luck to the new generation of N90 controllers. I did my turn, and now my watch is over!

You must have a wicked high 3 for retirement

Being a center wash out at D2 and working as a CPC at 2 small towers I will say this. No 7 or below tower is harder then D sides at a center. Worse case its even and some towers are actually easier. There are cake towers. There are no cake centers.

No disrespect, but the ignorance of this sentiment is off the charts. Within centers, some areas ARE indeed cake. Many areas do not own down to the ground, thus making D-side work necessarily easier. There are many level 7 facilities whose culture is to work combined almost 100% of the time, and in the morning/afternoon push times (et al) , they're every bit as complex as complex center sectors. It really is divisive and not good to diminish so many controllers so flippantly. We are all entitled to our opinions, I just very strongly disagree.

P.S. many level 8s and 9s were downgraded to 6s and 7s.... whereas no ARTCC was touched. That in and of itself is very important to note. Unless you think all this enroute traffic just appeared up high spontaneously, or there has been a major rise in international traffic such to keep an artcc at its level, despite the majority of non ARTCC 's downgrading. We should be honest about these things. The NAS is interconnected, and it is dishonest to say every up/down is downgradable... but not the ARTCCS they feed and vice versa. Cmon man

Last edited by a moderator:
No disrespect, but the ignorance of this sentiment is off the charts. Within centers, some areas ARE indeed cake. Many areas do not own down to the ground, thus making D-side work necessarily easier. There are many level 7 facilities whose culture is to work combined almost 100% of the time, and in the morning/afternoon push times (et al) , they're every bit as complex as complex center sectors. It really is divisive and not good to diminish so many controllers so flippantly. We are all entitled to our opinions, I just very strongly disagree.

P.S. many level 8s and 9s were downgraded to 6s and 7s.... whereas no ARTCC was touched. That in and of itself is very important to note. Unless you think all this enroute traffic just appeared up high spontaneously, or there has been a major rise in international traffic such to keep an artcc at its level, despite the majority of non ARTCC 's downgrading. We should be honest about these things. The NAS is interconnected, and it is dishonest to say every up/down is downgradable... but not the ARTCCS they feed and vice versa. Cmon man

Have you ever worked at a center? We have a specialty at mine that doesn't own to the ground their D sides get worked pretty regularly. I've worked tower and ARTCC and for me, D sides can be equivalent to tower as far as complexity, but I'd agree that not all lvl 7 towers are the same. Especially seasonal towers. Cake in the winter, chaos in the summer. I've worked at a seasonal tower too and working that local was busier than any D side I've ever worked.

Have you ever worked at a center?

Yes. I think people who haven't often dont realize that even within Centers there are often massive disparities in complexity from area to area. Some areas have never vectored for an ILS, worked refueling, MOAs, non-radar, given IFR clearances through flight service, other things that may increase D side workload, etc. Which is why any blanket statement that all Centers are busier than _______, is demonstrably false. It is probably more accurate to say every Center has sectors as busy as every Level 7 and below, which is like saying the sky is blue and water is wet ! :rofl: and that doesnt mean that you will necessarily work those should you work there. Or anything about any given D-side.

Have you ever worked at a center? We have a specialty at mine that doesn't own to the ground their D sides get worked pretty regularly. I've worked tower and ARTCC and for me, D sides can be equivalent to tower as far as complexity, but I'd agree that not all lvl 7 towers are the same. Especially seasonal towers. Cake in the winter, chaos in the summer. I've worked at a seasonal tower too and working that local was busier than any D side I've ever worked.
Don’t screw with this guy Foggy, he certified at a high level center and a up down. But I see both sides man, having worked at both I would say a D side can be equivalent to a level 7 type position, but also a level 7 radar can be way harder then it is often given credit for.

I wasnt asking for your opinion either but here you are. I'm at a highly desirable facility so your point is moot. Life is fantastic here bud.
tumblr_mhs4geXjm61qzcxrno1_400.gif

Back
Top Bottom