Terminal Sims

Quick question: do you get to choose your sim partners or do the instructors choose for you? My academy class is trying to get a head start on phraseology, and we're actually meeting for table tops with ground control phraseology even though we're only in basics right now. This question came up. Thanks.

Quick question: do you get to choose your sim partners or do the instructors choose for you? My academy class is trying to get a head start on phraseology, and we're actually meeting for table tops with ground control phraseology even though we're only in basics right now. This question came up. Thanks.
It's not even the instructors choosing, it's just a spreadsheet that gets filled with names and they get assigned. You'll probably work with basically everyone in some mix.
If you're going to get started on phraseology early, you better make 100% sure you do it correctly.

To add to what Stinger says, make sure the phraseology comes from the .65 the AAC LOA or whatever the instructor is teaching. Dont trust or mimic your classmate, because " we said this at my CTI school" or "did this in the military".

To add to what Stinger says, make sure the phraseology comes from the .65 the AAC LOA or whatever the instructor is teaching. Dont trust or mimic your classmate, because " we said this at my CTI school" or "did this in the military".

Yes, we've pooled resources from previous (successful) academy graduates, so hopefully everything is still accurate in terms of phraseology. We're just trying to do what we can to be as prepared as possible. If you have any other advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Ground control will be the least of your problems. I can understand wanting to get ahead and what not but i doubt it will matter for GC. If you really want to work on something try to figure out what you are going to do when the fast movers call up because that will sink you.

Ground control will be the least of your problems. I can understand wanting to get ahead and what not but i doubt it will matter for GC. If you really want to work on something try to figure out what you are going to do when the fast movers call up because that will sink you.

Yeah, well the problem with that is the rest of the class is completely OTS with zero aviation experience. We have 4 CTI and 1 pilot. We found its utterly useless for 4 of us to work on local when most of the class didn't even know what ground control does. We'll get to local eventually, but with the stats being what they are (and consistently hearing about them here), we're trying a different approach. Phraseology first: first ground then local. Then techniques.

Rwy28R taxi via G B A h/s rwy16... it's still embedded...

But for real... I know you feel like you're just trying to plan ahead and be super duper extra prepared... But the academy gives you plenty of chances to fully grasp the expectations and become proficient at each control position. No one wants to hear it, but just play the game haha...

If you have a ton of OTS in your class your approach should be rules first, then phraseology. Download the .65 and read over chapter 2 and 3 in your spare time, familiarize yourself with the rules that pertain to GC so that when you get across the street, you actually know why your saying what you are saying. Dont worry about the phraseology now you guys will literally have a ton of instructors helping you across the street spoon feeding you exactly what to say and how to say it.

If you can read through the handbook and phraseology guide that's passed out, and it makes sense, you're in good shape. I wouldn't concern myself with much more than that, and probably reading over the aircraft callsigns that get used in the sims would be good too.

I second stingers opinion regarding the Aircraft callsigns. Knowing the aircraft characteristics well is also helpful and obviously the airport layout. Aside from that, I wouldn't get to worried about learning phraseology. It's actually pretty easy and most people, regardless of aviation background, seem to have a good grasp on it after just a few days. I know the pass rates are alarming, but the things that trip people up on PA's are more technical situations that you aren't going to be able to really prepare for until you're actually doing it. Not to mention if you think you're doing it right and are practicing without an instructor there to correct you, you may develop bad habits

I second stingers opinion regarding the Aircraft callsigns. Knowing the aircraft characteristics well is also helpful and obviously the airport layout. Aside from that, I wouldn't get to worried about learning phraseology. It's actually pretty easy and most people, regardless of aviation background, seem to have a good grasp on it after just a few days. I know the pass rates are alarming, but the things that trip people up on PA's are more technical situations that you aren't going to be able to really prepare for until you're actually doing it. Not to mention if you think you're doing it right and are practicing without an instructor there to correct you, you may develop bad habits

We did pull up the aircraft call signs and there are too many to actually memorize. I was going to study them as we hit each sim, and we were actually using them in our study groups for phraseology. Are you guys suggesting to memorize the list? Or mainly learn the type aircraft?

We did pull up the aircraft call signs and there are too many to actually memorize. I was going to study them as we hit each sim, and we were actually using them in our study groups for phraseology. Are you guys suggesting to memorize the list? Or mainly learn the type aircraft?
Make flashcards and memorize them, you'll be glad you did.
As far as your original question, I'm curious if someone who just went through can chime in. Back in the day you worked with the same people from problems 1-12 in the TSS, then your partners for the exam were assigned at random and you were given problem 13 in the TSS to prepare with them.

Graduated last month. It’s random every day, but you definitely work with some people more than others. In a class of 18, there were only 2-3 people I never worked with in sims. But there were 4-5 people I worked with every day/every other day.

The PA are by your last name, you can work out who you’re going to be matched with before hand. Anderson (1) matched with Baker (2). Wilson (17) matched with Young(18 ) It’s that way for the first PA after that you’ll have to figure it out.

Last edited:
You will eventually be able to identify the planes quickly and know their official designation as well as a short hand version that's easy to write. For example, the King Air the academy uses is always a King Air 200, so the identifier is BE20 (btw, don't forget to slash the zero). It's helpful to also have a shorthand abbreviation (like for instance KA) that you can use on unofficial documents like your scratch pad or vfr arrival strips that just get thrown out and aren't graded. Know that it is a T-Tail turboprop and the general size, etc. so that you can identify it quickly. Also know that it is a cat III for same runway separation and a small + for wake turbulence timers/advisories.

Memorizing the exact tail numbers of all the King Airs may sound like a daunting task, but you start hearing the same ones so often you almost memorize them without trying.

I used the King Air for this example, but you'll obviously have to know all the planes. My biggest advice for you and your class at this stage of the game is to make sure to do well in basics. Especially if your class is mostly OTS they will need to pay attention to what they're being taught now in order to even get across the street. There are occasions where people get so focused on trying to learn what comes next that they forget to pass basics. Don't be one of those people...

OTS and just finished up scenario 8 today in sims. Phraseology is important of course, but getting it down perfectly will happen in tabletop. Don't fret about it too much just pay attention to basics.

If any advice, study together and the only rock solid info is what the academy gives you. There is a large amount of completely stupid stuff you'll do at AAC that won't happen anywhere else. Same with the info. CTI may have taught you something else but what the academy says is right.

Also, get with classes ahead of you for more info, we all live in the same areas.

Not so much memorizing all the callsigns, but enough to know that N20WK is a King Air, N172PT is a Cessna 172, N8729B is a Baron, N63RG is a Bonanza, etc....
If you're talking to Baron 29B and call it a Bonanza, the last thing you want happening is to have the Bonanza that's also on frequency take that instruction. Causes all sorts of mayhem that will not be fixed by the RPO until you attempt to fix it yourself.

OTS and just finished up scenario 8 today in sims. Phraseology is important of course, but getting it down perfectly will happen in tabletop. Don't fret about it too much just pay attention to basics.

If any advice, study together and the only rock solid info is what the academy gives you. There is a large amount of completely stupid stuff you'll do at AAC that won't happen anywhere else. Same with the info. CTI may have taught you something else but what the academy says is right.

Also, get with classes ahead of you for more info, we all live in the same areas.

Hey man, in Basics... I’d love to speak with you about your expeirences across the street.

Back
Top Bottom