The woeful unpreparedness of Management

I think an equally important question in all this is where the hell is NATCA in all this? The dues they siphon off our paychecks is not for lame-ass “solidarity events” or to send reps to conferences, we pay to them to have a voice during times like these. Yet they’re literally doing nothing.
Don’t you get the emails? They’re working “tirelessly” and “aggressively” to address things

Ignorant questions. What happens when 'TRACON takes over', as it was phrased, when mentioning MDW closed. I know small Deltas that aren't 24/7 have regionals calling in on CTAF regularly, is it the same as that and someone phrased it funny? Or with a larger airport, are there more considerations. Seems like a silly VATSIM thing the way it was phrased...'oh TWR's offline, APP has got Midway local'

IFR - one in one out. Use CTAF. Use the local frequency (or whichever the tracon has available to them) to request an IFR clearance/release.

And please don't ever reference VATISM again.

IFR - one in one out. Use CTAF. Use the local frequency (or whichever the tracon has available to them) to request an IFR clearance/release.

And please don't ever reference VATISM again.
You can still shoot departures IFR with someone on approach using the 3 min rule and departure instructions.

Have you guys considered they are following the leadership from above. Like all the way above? Until the above tells all of his agencies they can let people go, they won’t.

I think an equally important question in all this is where the hell is NATCA in all this? The dues they siphon off our paychecks is not for lame-ass “solidarity events” or to send reps to conferences, we pay to them to have a voice during times like these. Yet they’re literally doing nothing.
I took the time to call into the Eastern region telcon yesterday (don’t know if other regions did this). NATCA is keeping the pressure on the Agency, but ultimately the Agency is fucking this whole thing up.

I took the time to call into the Eastern region telcon yesterday (don’t know if other regions did this). NATCA is keeping the pressure on the Agency, but ultimately the Agency is fucking this whole thing up.
What did agency have to say about devs and non essentials? Can anyone call into the telcon?

NATCA is actually being g surprisingly aggressive in fighting for the safety of the membership on this. I don't think people understand just how obstinate and out of touch the agency is l. The agency is fighting them tooth and nail on literally everything. They didnt even WANT to close MDW. Speaking of which... we have major facilities ATC zero with dozens (and exponentially increasing) of people.dying everyday (death toll 95 yesterday morning, now 116), but at the next facility over TRAIN! Let's bring all admin in, all trainees w no certifications. This is a new low we are living through.

"That's the guidance I am getting, it's not my choice".

"I was just following orders".

History repeats.

Last edited by a moderator:
NATCA is actually being g surprisingly aggressive in fighting for the safety of the membership on this. I don't think people understand just how obstinate and out of touch the agency is l. The agency is fighting them tooth and nail on literally everything. They didnt even WANT to close MDW. Speaking of which... we have major facilities ATC zero with dozens (and exponentially increasing) of people.dying everyday (death toll 95 yesterday morning, now 116), but at the next facility over TRAIN! Let's bring all admin in, all trainees w no certifications. This is a new low we are living through.

"That's the guidance I am getting, it's not my choice".

"I was just following orders".

History repeats.
So what are we supposed to do about it?

Have you guys considered they are following the leadership from above. Like all the way above? Until the above tells all of his agencies they can let people go, they won’t.
IDGAF who is saying it, common sense needs to prevail and they're not powerless peons. If they can't make a simple decision to send a Dev home then what are they good for? (Don't answer that question) It's hard to look someone in the face who is so blatantly willing to be a part of infecting (or increasing the risk of infection) their employees. The dynamic is interesting because you don't want to burn that bridge with your ATM, but like at what point does it become a legitimate conversation people need to be having with them on an individual basis? It's one thing to put an R&I out then scurry back to your closed door office and another to explain it to your face

Keep fighting. And make smart strategic decisions with how you use your leave or even LWOP. They will capitulate, but it's hard to imagine it wont be too late to be meaningful. That window may have already passed.

Remember after over a month of the shutdown it was determined that stress over not being able to pay rent or provide for your family was a valid reason for mental incapacitation to work live traffic. All health authorities have said it would be safer for maximum ppl to stay home. We have a situation where the powers that be are actually exacerbating the health jeopardy w their actions; by exposing a max amount of people to a communicable disease on purpose. There are worse things than A hit to the leave balance; and we are living it.

SL.png

Take care of yourself and family. If it means taking sick or annual leave then do it. I’d rather not have to burn all my vacation time for the year but when the options are that or sit 18 inches away from a management mandated D side or hanging around non essential folks that are just more vectors for transmission then that’s the choice that has to be made. I’m likely healthy enough to weather it, but that doesn’t mean my parents or grandparents or in-laws are.

Also, has anyone considered writing their congressmen or women?

NY Governor Cuomo live on CNN just announced an executive order "No more than 50% of the workforce of any business can leave home". IE, things should run at half staffing. He says it's all about science and data, not politics.

FAA reaponse: "fuck that! 110% staffing. There is a training initiative to meet!"

What did agency have to say about devs and non essentials? Can anyone call into the telcon?
Agency is, as of yesterday, saying nothing about it. And yes, I got an email from my RVP giving the number to call in while he gave an update. I feel like he said something like 120 were in on the call.

NY Governor Cuomo live on CNN just announced an executive order "No more than 50% of the workforce of any business can leave home". IE, things should run at half staffing. He says it's all about science and data, not politics.

FAA reaponse: "fuck that! 110% staffing. There is a training initiative to meet!"
Well, you have to consider we are a public safety type job and need to be exempt from that, imagine if they cut hospitals, police, military, farmers and things like that to 50% the chaos that would arise.

Well, you have to consider we are a public safety type job and need to be exempt from that, imagine if they cut hospitals, police, military, farmers and things like that to 50% the chaos that would arise.

strawman argument with no equivalency. Less people are flying as each day passes. If police were getting 20% of their normal calls for service they could obviously lower numbers. If no one was eating Farmers wouldn't hafta farm to avoid "the chaos that would arise". Cmon we have been accused of being "the same person" by zealots, you cant be having rogue opinions on me!!

strawman argument with no equivalency. Less people are flying as each day passes. If police were getting 20% of their normal calls for service they could obviously lower numbers. If no one was eating Farmers wouldn't hafta farm to avoid "the chaos that would arise". Cmon we have been accused of being "the same person" by zealots, you cant be having rogue opinions on me!!
I’m just saying if my Governor did the same thing I’m sure there would be exceptions, and since ATC was “essential” during all shut downs I bet we would carry on. With people banging in though I bet we would get down to 50% most days naturally.

Back
Top Bottom