The woeful unpreparedness of Management

I’m at a large Z. Normal ops is to keep a few sectors combined until around 0700 or later unless traffic dictates otherwise. Twice this week, and it didn’t go unnoticed, we were told to open every single sector by 0630. With no traffic in a few of them, with projected traffic not exceeding low single digits for over and hour. It seemed so weird that it had to be a deliberate choice. I asked the OM why with all the current CDC guidance, etc, are we doing this? “We’re here to provide a service. If we have the bodies we should have the sectors open.” I replied with “there is no one there to provide a service to. This is irresponsible and unnecessary.” The incompetence knows no bounds.

I’m at a large Z. Normal ops is to keep a few sectors combined until around 0700 or later unless traffic dictates otherwise. Twice this week, and it didn’t go unnoticed, we were told to open every single sector by 0630. With no traffic in a few of them, with projected traffic not exceeding low single digits for over and hour. It seemed so weird that it had to be a deliberate choice. I asked the OM why with all the current CDC guidance, etc, are we doing this? “We’re here to provide a service. If we have the bodies we should have the sectors open.” I replied with “there is no one there to provide a service to. This is irresponsible and unnecessary.” The incompetence knows no bounds.
That just boils my blood. Not only is it plain stupid, but do these idiots want to get sick? Do they think they're immune?

That just boils my blood. Not only is it plain stupid, but do these idiots want to get sick? Do they think they're immune?

PEople need to remember this before they go about lecturing how great of a job this is and how much we get away with and all of that inferiority complex bullshit. "I don't even have a college degree". "in my old job I shoveled shit and got no breaks!" "I cant make this at the factory!" Theyre literally disregarding a life threatening pandemic to flex their power and put everyones family at risk. SHAME. Do not forget this. Most people on this site weren't around for the white book. This site didn't exist then. Those that were haven't forgotten that one either. 2 separate hells. 1 devil.

A shining example of what should be a funny thought, but then you realize how patently true it is. My neck is starting to get sore from shaking it so much
I also forgot, they will refuse admin leave to those with weakened immune systems and a physician letter forcing them to use their own sick/annual/LWOP while they still get paid and accrue leave.

PEople need to remember this before they go about lecturing how great of a job this is and how much we get away with and all of that inferiority complex bullshit. "I don't even have a college degree". "in my old job I shoveled shit and got no breaks!" "I cant make this at the factory!" Theyre literally disregarding a life threatening pandemic to flex their power and put everyones family at risk. SHAME. Do not forget this. Most people on this site weren't around for the white book. This site didn't exist then. Those that were don't forget that one either. 2 separate hells. 1 devil.
I mean honestly, if everyone was saying "We shouldn't be here at all, screw the NAS, screw the economy" That would be one thing, but I don't think anyone (on here at least) is saying that. Its simply cut staffing fairly and send non-essentials home. How could anyone find that unreasonable? Training should be the least of anyone's concern right now. Delaying certification for a couple months is nothing in the grand scheme of things. If it's so bad, cancel ERRs for 6 months and staffing won't get any worse. We'll complain but at the end of the day I think most of us would prefer that to continually coming into work to placate some out of touch airheads

I mean honestly, if everyone was saying "We shouldn't be here at all, screw the NAS, screw the economy" That would be one thing, but I don't think anyone (on here at least) is saying that. Its simply cut staffing fairly and send non-essentials home. How could anyone find that unreasonable? Training should be the least of anyone's concern right now. Delaying certification for a couple months is nothing in the grand scheme of things. If it's so bad, cancel ERRs for 6 months and staffing won't get any worse. We'll complain but at the end of the day I think most of us would prefer that to continually coming into work to placate some out of touch airheads
How bout just do screening at the gate and not let sick people in?

Also, I haven't even been in the Agency for 2 years yet. I'm not some jaded old guy with 25 yr old grudges. These are new employees who are the future of the agency they're pissing off. This is a historical event that I certainly won't forget and this botching of the situation doesn't make me want to do anyone any favors in the future

Also, I haven't even been in the Agency for 2 years yet. I'm not some jaded old guy with 25 yr old grudges. These are new employees who are the future of the agency they're pissing off. This is a historical event that I certainly won't forget and this botching of the situation doesn't make me want to do anyone any favors in the future

Right there with you. Been in 4 years and what I’ve seen so far has been enough to make me consider resigning. And that was before the pandemic. Greatest job in the world it is not.

Right there with you. Been in 4 years and what I’ve seen so far has been enough to make me consider resigning. And that was before the pandemic. Greatest job in the world it is not.
The shame of it, is that it could be #OneOfTheBestJobsInTheWorld, but the FAA can't get out of its own way. Controlling traffic is enjoyable for the most of us and the pension (or premise of one) is incredible, but man they try really hard to make it as frustrating as possible. The best shifts at my old facility were the ones where the ATM and OS had the day off together... Everything ran so smoothly and everyone got along, it was blissful

THIS. If the NAS and the "mission" need me to be at work, even if that comes with a risk, I will be there. No one cares about 2 hours on position or petty shit like that in an emergency. I know lots of nurses and a few doctors and none of them are telling me they aren't going to go to work or want freebies or handouts. This is what they DO, and they will do it stoically and do their best. They need to be supported though and not purposely/maliciously/naively placed in EXTRA danger or otherwise disrespected and treated recklessly by petty overlords.

As a result of the declared national emergency associated with the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the Parties at the national level have agreed to suspend the goals associated with the National Training Initiative (NTI) until April 15, 2020. This is not a prohibition from conducting training, it is a suspension of the NTI goals, NTI reporting requirements, and associated weekly training reports. The leadership at the facility level should work together to determine if training can be conducted while maintaining employee safety as the highest priority.

We understand the anxiety and uncertainty that you are all experiencing during this crisis, and ask that we continue to work together to address as many concerns as possible.

Thank you for your continued professionalism.

In Solidarity,

The National Executive Board

Up to this point I’ve agreed with everything that has been said. I’m not saying what is going on in any way is acceptable. But Then resign and be on the unemployment line like the rest of the country is about to be in an unstable economic and political environment which we will not recover from and any job you find will Not be as safe as ours is. The question is how we get what is owed Morally, contractually etc in the most reasonable way possible. They are not just going to open a blank checkbook or stop all air traffic and allow us to
Not come to work. We can’t just complain about how it is because that how it is, how do we change that that’s the question in our little world? We expect to be safeguarded which we absolutey should be, but at the same time expect to go home on full pay or if we decide or are required to work then we expect hazard pay which we absolutely should be and the workforce is split on which they would prefer. the world is going to suffer but just because we have a unique job we are exempt? Let’s figure this shit out together. Also if you want to help make decisions get involved In the union or management.

That’s not even close to enough. The tiniest of steps in the right direction but now I’m worried that’ll be all they do for another two weeks and the reassess after 3 more facilities go ATC Zero

NTI suspended, sending the trainees to the boiler room to self study until this blows over.

Delta just announced 70% flight reductions, up from 40%. They lost 2 Billion dollars in March. Trainees should all be sent home and not be in the building. Why is literally EVERYTHING a knock down drag out 12 round fight w the agency, even for little baby steps. Wake up!

Up to this point I’ve agreed with everything that has been said. I’m not saying what is going on in any way is acceptable. But Then resign and be on the unemployment line like the rest of the country is about to be in an unstable economic and political environment which we will not recover from and any job you find will Not be as safe as ours is. The question is how we get what is owed Morally, contractually etc in the most reasonable way possible. They are not just going to open a blank checkbook or stop all air traffic and allow us to
Not come to work. We can’t just complain about how it is because that how it is, how do we change that that’s the question in our little world? We expect to be safeguarded which we absolutey should be, but at the same time expect to go home on full pay or if we decide or are required to work then we expect hazard pay which we absolutely should be and the workforce is split on which they would prefer. the world is going to suffer but just because we have a unique job we are exempt? Let’s figure this shit out together. Also if you want to help make decisions get involved In the union or management.

I’d love to get involved and help effectuate some change for the better. But you see what you’re up against and that can fade pretty quickly. The disfunction in the agency is deep and decades long, and this situation highlights that. Don’t get me wrong, I’m grateful for this job right now. It’s about to be a tough time for a lot of people. But when this is all over, that doesn’t take away from the fact that this job comes with significant upsides and downsides. Jumping ship for something with less pay but with much higher quality of life isn’t an outrageous idea.

Back
Top Bottom