Training hold

Status
Not open for further replies.
If schools can make vaccinations mandatory for kids, I’m pretty sure the Feds could make one for a pandemic mandatory for employees.

Also FLRA decision 3-RO-70004 (1987) certified that NATCA is the exclusive representative of center and terminal 2152 employees (and then other decisions certified NATCA as representing other bargaining units too). Doesn't explicitly say "this union has the right to exist" but it does say "this union that exists has the right to represent these people." The decision can be found copied in appendix D of the slate book. I would have thought it would be recorded online somewhere else, but it doesn't seem to be easily findable. May still be on paper at the national archives in St Louis or something.

The EO seems to be the source of authority for us to have a union, but I'll submit a correction: JFK's EO 10988 was "revoked" and replaced by Nixon's EO 11491. The meat and potatoes is in Section 1, Paragraph A:

The right to have a union is explicitly NOT afforded to employees of the FBI, CIA, Foreign Service/Dept of State, Tennessee Valley Authority (??), or any agency's security or audit bureau. I'm not sure what the national security concerns would be for letting security/audit/intelligence employees collectively bargain, given that strikes are illegal in any case.

I wasn't clear if he meant we'd be the third tier within the first tier of "first responders" or part of the general third tier.

It appears we're the 3rd general tier, since we support critical infrastructure and national safety. At least that's how I'm reading it.

I had to go back and check, but yeah, I worded it pretty terribly using "tier" twice.
When I heard last week, the first responders were supposed to be the first group to get it. Within that group, is different levels of priority, and ATC is supposed to be the third level.
So: group 1, level 3.

If schools can make vaccinations mandatory for kids, I’m pretty sure the Feds could make one for a pandemic mandatory for employees.
At least if they don’t make it mandatory let those that get it come back. Frankly they should let those that have had it (positive antibody test) come back now.

Not trying to add to the hysteria but with all this talk of RIF does anyone see the training success shadowing ZNY, N90, C90 etc? Controllers In those facilities will openly talk about not certifying trainees because they don’t want to lose their overtime. If RIF is implemented couldn’t you see controllers not checking out trainees for fear of losing their job to a lower seniority controller just so the government could save money. If they wash trainees out and keep staffing low it will be a sense of job security.

Sorry if this has already been covered. It’s hard to sift through the Biden vs Trump and Covid information this site has come to as if they are in competition with a reddit comment section.

Forget management. FS SHOULD take your medical if you report is

FTFY.
Again this is your FS, not applicable to every facility in the NAS. My management has literally called and negotiated with the FS every time something comes up. Contact tracing made the flight surgeon pull like 7 medicals. Management called and got that reversed and every one of those people were back at work the next day.

FTFY.
Again this is your FS, not applicable to every facility in the NAS. My management has literally called and negotiated with the FS every time something comes up. Contact tracing made the flight surgeon pull like 7 medicals. Management called and got that reversed and every one of those people were back at work the next day.
We’re the people simply exposed. Or did they meet the less than 6 feet for 30 minutes. That part is the guideline straight from the CDC.

FTFY.
There has to be more to this story. The FS has zero accountability to air traffic management and their word is (mostly)final with regards to our medical status.

There has to be more to this story. The FS has zero accountability to air traffic management and their word is (mostly)final with regards to our medical status.
It’s possible, I’m not privy to much lol.

Maybe I’m wrong but pretty sure it’s 50th Anniversary: Executive Order 10988 | FLRA

Also FLRA decision 3-RO-70004 (1987) certified that NATCA is the exclusive representative of center and terminal 2152 employees (and then other decisions certified NATCA as representing other bargaining units too). Doesn't explicitly say "this union has the right to exist" but it does say "this union that exists has the right to represent these people." The decision can be found copied in appendix D of the slate book. I would have thought it would be recorded online somewhere else, but it doesn't seem to be easily findable. May still be on paper at the national archives in St Louis or something.

The EO seems to be the source of authority for us to have a union, but I'll submit a correction: JFK's EO 10988 was "revoked" and replaced by Nixon's EO 11491. The meat and potatoes is in Section 1, Paragraph A:

The right to have a union is explicitly NOT afforded to employees of the FBI, CIA, Foreign Service/Dept of State, Tennessee Valley Authority (??), or any agency's security or audit bureau. I'm not sure what the national security concerns would be for letting security/audit/intelligence employees collectively bargain, given that strikes are illegal in any case.

I wasn't clear if he meant we'd be the third tier within the first tier of "first responders" or part of the general third tier.

My question should have been phrased differently. 5CFR ch71 is the legal authority, which is what I was going for, but I didn't ask it correctly. The FAA is exempt from 5CFR, with a few exceptions, and ch 71 isn't one of them. The FAA is in charge of it's own personnel management, outside of the excepted sections of 5CFR. FAA PMS section 3:
III. Labor Management Relations
Congress did not include Chapter 71 of Title 5, "Labor Management Relations," in the list of sections that will continue to apply to FAA's new personnel management system. The FAA has elected to continue the rights and benefits of union representation to our employees by providing for recognition of exclusive representatives, collective bargaining, and union representation in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 71. Accordingly, present and future changes and ongoing matters related to FAA's personnel management system under this directive shall not be implemented for bargaining unit members until after the completion of substantive and/or impact and implementation bargaining to the same extent as would be required by Chapter 71.

Section 4:
IV. Modification of this System
FAA reserves the right to modify, add to, or delete any portion of this personnel management system, either in whole or
in part, as deemed appropriate by the Administrator.

This is probably a little oversimplified, but the union is around because the FAA agreed to let it be around, and that can change at their pleasure. All this is to say Shikaka is 100% correct, and most people greatly overestimate the unions "authority".

My question should have been phrased differently. 5CFR ch71 is the legal authority, which is what I was going for, but I didn't ask it correctly. The FAA is exempt from 5CFR, with a few exceptions, and ch 71 isn't one of them. The FAA is in charge of it's own personnel management, outside of the excepted sections of 5CFR. FAA PMS section 3:

Section 4:

This is probably a little oversimplified, but the union is around because the FAA agreed to let it be around, and that can change at their pleasure. All this is to say Shikaka is 100% correct, and most people greatly overestimate the unions "authority".
Even tho we legally can’t strike. A work slow down or an illegal strike holds a large deal of power over the FAA. I don’t think firing all the ATCs would play very well in 2020 in the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom