Training hold

CaptainObvious

Forum Sage
what other approach is there? Let ATMs decide who is and isn't furlough worthy? Is that even allowed?
How about we train the ones that are close to cert instead of shutting them down. Or allow CPC-ITs to return to their previous facilities. Taking 30+ percent of the workforce and shoving them out the door unpaid for years is just flat out stupid

mnsalty

How about we train the ones that are close to cert instead of shutting them down. Or allow CPC-ITs to return to their previous facilities. Taking 30+ percent of the workforce and shoving them out the door unpaid for years is just flat out stupid
Yeah, well, the FAA does a lot of stupid shit. Returning CPC-ITs to old facilities wouldn't matter because they'd have to train at their old facility anyways unless they just showed up at their new facility and hadn't lost their currency.... but they all have because they've been at home for 2 months. Hell, what if someone transferred from a level 10 to a level 5? Going back to the 10 might take longer to train than just finishing at their level 5.

June this, June that. The only thing worth mentioning in June is 3 paychecks! #Holla
Oh true, I almost forgot about the raise that was robbed from every CPC-IT that should've been certified by now.
Also, isn't it the first FULL pay period in June?

CaptainObvious

Forum Sage
Yeah, well, the FAA does a lot of stupid shit. Returning CPC-ITs to old facilities wouldn't matter because they'd have to train at their old facility anyways unless they just showed up at their new facility and hadn't lost their currency.... but they all have because they've been at home for 2 months. Hell, what if someone transferred from a level 10 to a level 5? Going back to the 10 might take longer to train than just finishing at their level 5.
Might as well just fire them all then. So much less essential than you

mnsalty

You’re the one advocating that they should be furloughed for years. So you must think you are. Or you’re just another troll. Seems to be a common problem here lately
I'm not advocating for it. I'm saying it's inevitable, and everyone thinks I'm crazy for saying its inevitable. Big difference between advocating for it and seeing the writing on the walls.

CaptainObvious

Forum Sage
I'm not advocating for it. I'm saying it's inevitable, and everyone thinks I'm crazy for saying its inevitable. Big difference between advocating for it and seeing the writing on the walls.
So what about the devs that are “essential” furlough them too? Or force them to work and forgo any potential raises for years and affect their career earnings and retirement? Sorry sucks to be you, you deserve to earn less because you were hired a couple years, 6 months, however long after a CPC?

mnsalty

So what about the devs that are “essential” furlough them too?
no they'd probably stay since they're already on the gravy train at work... but it depends on what happens with the OJT training initiative.
Or force them to work and forgo any potential raises for years and affect their career earnings and retirement? Sorry sucks to be you, you deserve to earn less because you were hired a couple years, 6 months, however long after a CPC?
"just be glad you have a job" as the veterans would say...

32andBelow

Forum Sage
I'm not sure that's how furloughs in the work force would play out. Every trainee but one in my building is a CPC-IT. Some have seniority on current CPCs in the building and throughout the NAS.
I know I’m more senior than a lot of tower CPCs at this point.

BCHOOSIER

The contract doesn't say furloughs have to go by seniority. Sucks for those in CPCIT and DEV positions at home. see ya in a few years when we deem you all worthy to come back.
So what does the contract say about furloughing employees for "years"?

BCHOOSIER

no they'd probably stay since they're already on the gravy train at work... but it depends on what happens with the OJT training initiative.

"just be glad you have a job" as the veterans would say...
This make shit up game is fun! Do they get back pay like during a shutdown? Imagine after being gone for five years, no, ten years and being called back. That TRB would be interesting. How's retirement work? So many questions, please tell me what the contract says and how this all works.

mnsalty

Do they get back pay like during a shutdown?
No, that's why it's called a furlough.

Imagine after being gone for five years, no, ten years and being called back. That TRB would be interesting.
You start over from square 1, obviously. Redo classroom and all. Stop being dramatic, we are talking about 6-18 months probably, not 10 years.

How's retirement work?
Not sure. I assume your retirement stays in your funds (TSP, FERS) but since you're not contributing you just wouldn't have that contribution. Seems simple to me, but I have no idea.

Go read the contract yourself.

There won’t be furloughs, no need for that discussion. The day traffic picks up and regular schedules are needed there will be no social distancing to worry about and trainees will return
This is a joke, right? Traffic ain't coming back over night. Most are predicting it'll be years before we see pre-covid level again. Social distancing will be around for years. You don't even see the affects of stopping training for years down the road, and the same goes for starting it back up. There is absolutely no way the agency is going to pay people to sit at home for years until this is over.