Travel Days

theCROM777

I was talking to the wife about once you complete the academy and move to your facility i know the number of days to get to your facility is usually only two days but can be changed occasionally if you call your destination facility. My question is if you are moving straight to your facility how is housing aquired? I've never been able to rent a place or get anything lined up in two days especially if its a location i've never been to previously. Do they have temporary housing setup for you to stay until you can get a place or something?

I was talking to the wife about once you complete the academy and move to your facility i know the number of days to get to your facility is usually only two days but can be changed occasionally if you call your destination facility. My question is if you are moving straight to your facility how is housing aquired? I've never been able to rent a place or get anything lined up in two days especially if its a location i've never been to previously. Do they have temporary housing setup for you to stay until you can get a place or something?

Nope, its your responsibility to find your own housing. Hotpads, Zillow, Craigslist, Trulia are all good places to start looking for a rental. Failing that if you want to scope out an area before you commit to a year lease, get an extended stay for a few weeks.

@theCROM777 aww, the agency doesnt necessarily care about your housing arrangements. You do have I believe 2 weeks of COS leave and you can take annual as well depending on your ATM. From academy to my first facility it was a solid month for me, that included RDOs and Holidays. AirBnB it for a bit to find out where you want to live. Dont rush into it, expect to be there for a while and plan for it.

You get a set number of travel days depending on how from OKC your facility is. Those numbers are in the facility overview tabs on this site. On top of that you get up to 64 hours (8 days not including weekends) of Change of Station leave that is basically always approved with your manager. Those 64 hours can be used anytime within 2 years of being assigned a new facility.

Thanks for all the responses! Glad to hear you get a bit more time when moving to the new location. That'll help get the wife off my back about this career change.

@theCROM777 there is plenty of time, the controllers there might know some good places too. Also travel days depend on the distance from OKC. You can find it here on the facility overview, bottom left has the academy travel days. It's a lot more than you need, feel comfy in that.

Back
Top Bottom