Turnoff after landing

Bob44zw

Somewhere I got the idea that pilots are expected to turn off after landing at the first available taxiway turnoff. I cannot find that stated anywhere in the dash 65 or the AIM.

Did I just imagine seeig that? I have been glancing at the controller's handbook for guidance since it was 65 pages! Now it is as long as a law school textbook.

I think I will continue to ask for a long landing - I fly aircraft that can stop in 150 feet, but am not wild about wrong way taxi for a half mile. Does anybody here remember such a suggestion/expectation?

Solution
You are correct. You are expected to exit as soon as you are able onto a taxiway and stop past the hold line and await further clearance. Assuming ATC doesn’t tell you something different. It’s in the AIM, 4-3-20.

If you land and then proceed to taxi down the runway to your preferred location without permission you’d be doing it wrong. So you’re correct in asking for a long landing, and stating where you’d like to exit is ideal too so the controller can plan for that or tell you unable.
Somewhere I got the idea that pilots are expected to turn off after landing at the first available taxiway turnoff. I cannot find that stated anywhere in the dash 65 or the AIM.

Did I just imagine seeig that? I have been glancing at the controller's handbook for guidance since it was 65 pages! Now it is as long as a law school textbook.

I think I will continue to ask for a long landing - I fly aircraft that can stop in 150 feet, but am not wild about wrong way taxi for a half mile. Does anybody here remember such a suggestion/expectation?
Check the AIM?

Requesting a long landing is better than not saying anything and doing it. However, a long landing doesnt really mean anything in the actual rules, and according to pilot regs youre supposed to be touching down in the touchdown zone, so if an accident (runway excursion) did happen there's a non zero chance that your own words may be used against you to say that you didn't use the full available runway.

It's probably best to say your intended runway exit to the controller so they can accurately plan for your actions. Ex. "Request/intend to exit on Taxiway Charlie". And if that doesn't fit the rest of the traffic picture, then the controller can ask you to do something different.

AIM 4-3-20 said:
The following procedures must be followed after landing and reaching taxi speed.
a. Exit the runway without delay at the first available taxiway or on a taxiway as instructed by ATC. Pilots must not exit the landing runway onto another runway unless authorized by ATC. At airports with an operating control tower, pilots should not stop or reverse course on the runway without first obtaining ATC approval.

I'm fine with giving you a long landing (despite that phraseology not being written down anywhere), but make sure the controller is on the same page.

I have no trouble at my home airport. They just say "approved" or "can you make Charlie?" I do whatever they need.

My point was that I thought I was expected - AIM or some other guidance - to get off when able.

You are correct. You are expected to exit as soon as you are able onto a taxiway and stop past the hold line and await further clearance. Assuming ATC doesn’t tell you something different. It’s in the AIM, 4-3-20.

If you land and then proceed to taxi down the runway to your preferred location without permission you’d be doing it wrong. So you’re correct in asking for a long landing, and stating where you’d like to exit is ideal too so the controller can plan for that or tell you unable.

Solution
Thanks Tim. It is indeed there - I knew I had seen it before, but last week's search apparently skipped it.

What started me looking was two-fold:

One - I was prepping for a ground school class, with my nose in the .65 and the AIM.

But two - I was dealing with a Serco controller who quite obviously doesn't like me. I asked for "full length, off at Bravo" and he did not respond. I asked again - no way I was going to fly down the full length of that runway without a clearance - and got a curt response that the whole runway was mine and I could do what I want with it.

That, of course, will really foul things up on his longer runway - almost 8000 feet long.

For those of you who are federal employees - I want you to know that I get excellent service and respect from all of you. Serco needs a charm school for that ten percent - and maybe a review course on the AIM.

Thanks for your responses and help! Bob.

Thanks Tim. It is indeed there - I knew I had seen it before, but last week's search apparently skipped it.

What started me looking was two-fold:

One - I was prepping for a ground school class, with my nose in the .65 and the AIM.

But two - I was dealing with a Serco controller who quite obviously doesn't like me. I asked for "full length, off at Bravo" and he did not respond. I asked again - no way I was going to fly down the full length of that runway without a clearance - and got a curt response that the whole runway was mine and I could do what I want with it.

That, of course, will really foul things up on his longer runway - almost 8000 feet long.

For those of you who are federal employees - I want you to know that I get excellent service and respect from all of you. Serco needs a charm school for that ten percent - and maybe a review course on the AIM.

Thanks for your responses and help! Bob.

The contract guys can be overworked and underpaid with little to no breaks throughout the day. Most FAA controllers aren't working more than a couple of hours on local control a day. Not that it's an excuse, but I get if they're a bit more grouchy.

What you did - state your intentions and make it a request if you want to be ultra-polite or the controller sounds busy - is good.

Back
Top Bottom