Serious What are your career goals?

kombucha23

Forum Sage
Seems like this question gets some different answers all over. Some people want to be the best, some just want to survive. What are you honestly looking to do with your career?

Quality of life (QoL) is the end goal regardless of the position. I recently took a HQ job and a DoD job before that just to get out of my facility to increase that QoL. Weekends, birthdays, Christmas are more important to me as I get older and are irreplaceable more so since my parents are north of 70. The girl and I are talking of kids, this job will let me go to those games/school events/ and provide that NOVA education (still have to figure out the house situation). Sure it is not working planes, but these moments in life are more important than working 6 day work weeks.

Quality of life is most important to me. I'm still doing contract work (keep turning down the FAA) because I get 3 day weekends with f/s/s off, no quick turns, and no mids. Pay isn't great due to the area but it's still 6 figures, and wife has a salaried job and does better than me. We get free childcare through her job and have the same days off. Location has insane recreation minutes away. Perhaps most importantly, our kids are able to go to an amazing private school, and we will never pick a location where they'd have to be back in public.

Eventually I'm sure that I'll leave ATC to go back into self-employment. For now, it's easy money. I love my family and being able to see them every morning and every night.

Quality of life (QoL) is the end goal regardless of the position. I recently took a HQ job and a DoD job before that just to get out of my facility to increase that QoL. Weekends, birthdays, Christmas are more important to me as I get older and are irreplaceable more so since my parents are north of 70. The girl and I are talking of kids, this job will let me go to those games/school events/ and provide that NOVA education (still have to figure out the house situation). Sure it is not working planes, but these moments in life are more important than working 6 day work weeks.
You’re gonna need a 6 day work week to afford that “NOVA” education. 🫠 All of the good schools are in high COLA areas- Falls Church, and the other good parts of Arlington.

You’re gonna need a 6 day work week to afford that “NOVA” education. 🫠 All of the good schools are in high COLA areas- Falls Church, and the other good parts of Arlington.
Slated for that J band at the end of my year, then of course the next logical step is K band. Not too worried, with the girl we should pull in enough. I went to school in Annandale.

When I first got into the Agency my goal was to certify, gain some experience, and then get to the big leagues (Atlanta was the number one goal, with Dallas being number two, because Chicago and New York were too expensive). I was hoping to spend a few years as a CPC at a level 12, become an OS, and eventually work up to an OM (so I could be the one running the operation). Little did I know, but job titles are just that as those people don’t do a damn thing near what their title should have them do. I thought I could help change the Agency for the better. Now, I’m just trying to save as much money as possible so that I can retire the day I’m eligible with 25 years at age 48.

Quality of life is most important to me. I'm still doing contract work (keep turning down the FAA) because I get 3 day weekends with f/s/s off, no quick turns, and no mids. Pay isn't great due to the area but it's still 6 figures, and wife has a salaried job and does better than me. We get free childcare through her job and have the same days off. Location has insane recreation minutes away. Perhaps most importantly, our kids are able to go to an amazing private school, and we will never pick a location where they'd have to be back in public.

Eventually I'm sure that I'll leave ATC to go back into self-employment. For now, it's easy money. I love my family and being able to see them every morning and every night.
You at IDA? 👀

Actually probably not, the whole six figures thing doesn’t track 😂

Last edited:
QoL above all else which seems to be the loudest request being shouted and the one that falls on the deafest of ears. Balanced work week/home life. Been working 6 day weeks for like 6 years now. I love controlling and love busy traffic but I would love to branch out into more hands on/purposeful work in the field. I’ve applied for jobs with NORAD and some DoD jobs more heavily focused on fleet preparedness/readiness. Fighter jets still tickle my pickle and I enjoy the faster pace which is why I’ve applied to some standard DoD controlling gigs. Pay isn’t so much of a concern so long as I can be where I want, doing what I want, when I want to do it.

Honestly, just pass the academy (in en route basics rn). Want to get to a facility (ZDC preferred) and stay there for my career. Then retire at the ATCSCC. That's about it as long as I don't get burnt out from the work weeks.

QoL above all else which seems to be the loudest request being shouted and the one that falls on the deafest of ears. Balanced work week/home life. Been working 6 day weeks for like 6 years now. I love controlling and love busy traffic but I would love to branch out into more hands on/purposeful work in the field. I’ve applied for jobs with NORAD and some DoD jobs more heavily focused on fleet preparedness/readiness. Fighter jets still tickle my pickle and I enjoy the faster pace which is why I’ve applied to some standard DoD controlling gigs. Pay isn’t so much of a concern so long as I can be where I want, doing what I want, when I want to do it.
Dude I miss taking F15s over top one another 500’ for initial and one inbound on an ILS

Dude I miss taking F15s over top one another 500’ for initial and one inbound on an ILS
There’s something (everything) ridiculously mundane about air carriers lined up like ants marching on final doing 150kts and even worse little puddle jumpers doing 70 with a 20kt headwind. I want a flight of four doing the overhead at 500kts to get me going. Nothing like the rumble of the tower at 7:15am because of jets.

I just want to check out, work the traffic for a few years, secure a good high three, and then bounce around the DOD with overseas jobs

I'll be honest. I want to make as much money as I can while working the least complicated airspace I can find. As someone single with no kids getting weekends off isn't a priority for me. I want to be able to travel on my bid prime time leave so I can see the country/world. I'm at a great facility now with minimal overtime, available spot leave more than half the year, and the ability to let me work some temporary details. It will be hard to leave. If I was to try and transfer again I'd be looking for a facility with an optimal airport layout (can run simuls, widely spaced parallels, a good breakroom ie oven, ability to walk outside on breaks), not excessively chaotic satellite sectors, and what I consider decent weather (mid 80s in the summer, snow is OK, cold is okay). I'm nearly 15 years into my career and no intentions of staying past 50. There are a couple facilities I would like to tour to see the operation that I would consider trying to go to if I ever wanted to be a trainee again.

Been working an off the boards job for about 5 months now and and I was utterly shocked at how much my quality of life went up almost immediately. I sleep better. I feel healthier. I get to say goodnight to my kid every night. I see my wife for more than 30 mins every day. Weekends off to hang out with my friends, and the time to do so because I can knock out stuff around the house on weeknights. I make it to the gym 4 or 5 days a week instead of 2 or 3. My leave balance has gone up, not down while still being able to do weekend trips with the family or friends and do my hobbies, not to mention 4 day weekends at least once a month most months. Wife says I'm usually in a better mood these days.

Just a huge overall life improvement, especially when I see and talk to old coworkers and they say things are just as miserable as ever.

I had honestly been trying to get off the boards for a couple years before I did it and I'm kind of mad at myself that I waited as long as I did to do so.

I do miss clowns sometimes, but I'm glad to have left the circus.

That said now that I've made the change career goals wise.... I'm really not sure. I think thats gonna take some time to reevaluate, but I definitely feel there is more long term opportunities for me where I am at now than in ATC.

I just want to check out, work the traffic for a few years, secure a good high three, and then bounce around the DOD with overseas jobs
I still keep my ear to the ground for DOD Europe postings. I'd go back to atc for a few years to live in Europe for a bit.

There’s something (everything) ridiculously mundane about air carriers lined up like ants marching on final doing 150kts and even worse little puddle jumpers doing 70 with a 20kt headwind. I want a flight of four doing the overhead at 500kts to get me going. Nothing like the rumble of the tower at 7:15am because of jets.
My goal is to not ask a passing by F18 what he wants when he asks for a practice approach at my facility, but to immediately send him to 23R, and tell him pattern altitudes, turns, and to break approach end. This breaks the F18 over the rich, snobby folks’ neighborhood that complain about noise from an airport they decided to move next to. I smile every time.

Been working an off the boards job for about 5 months now and and I was utterly shocked at how much my quality of life went up almost immediately. I sleep better. I feel healthier. I get to say goodnight to my kid every night. I see my wife for more than 30 mins every day. Weekends off to hang out with my friends, and the time to do so because I can knock out stuff around the house on weeknights. I make it to the gym 4 or 5 days a week instead of 2 or 3. My leave balance has gone up, not down while still being able to do weekend trips with the family or friends and do my hobbies, not to mention 4 day weekends at least once a month most months. Wife says I'm usually in a better mood these days.

Just a huge overall life improvement, especially when I see and talk to old coworkers and they say things are just as miserable as ever.

I had honestly been trying to get off the boards for a couple years before I did it and I'm kind of mad at myself that I waited as long as I did to do so.

That said now that I've made the change career goals wise.... I'm really not sure. I think thats gonna take some time to reevaluate, but I definitely feel there is more long term opportunities for me where I am at now than in ATC.
What job do you do now, monsieur Gibbons?

My goal is to not ask a passing by F18 what he wants when he asks for a practice approach at my facility, but to immediately send him to 23R, and tell him pattern altitudes, turns, and to break approach end. This breaks the F18 over the rich, snobby folks’ neighborhood that complain about noise from an airport they decided to move next to. I smile every time.
My favorite was receiving noise complaints every morning at approx 730 from someone in the trailer park directly off the departure end of our main runway. Things ranging from “my mom is dying and she can’t die in peace” to “you’re knocking plates off the wall” and my favorite “they keep dumping fuel on my house.”

This is the trend I keep hearing. I just don’t want to be a paper pusher and I could definitely be ignorant to what some of these off beat control jobs actually do but here’s one for example. It piqued my interest as a job having a more direct impact on something as opposed to feeling like a grunt sitting in a tower somewhere doing what every other controller in the NAS is doing.

IMG_6740.jpeg

What job do you do now, monsieur Gibbons?
It's a 1361 series job (Aeronautical Information). still with the FAA. basically evaluating and designing procedures and routes.

This is the trend I keep hearing. I just don’t want to be a paper pusher and I could definitely be ignorant to what some of these off beat control jobs actually do but here’s one for example. It piqued my interest as a job having a more direct impact on something as opposed to feeling like a grunt sitting in a tower somewhere doing what every other controller in the NAS is doing.

View attachment 8797
I would dig that. I'd pm GulfCharlie sounds similar to his gig.

Lol I’ve got him on speed dial, we text semi regularly and I pick his brain for just about every half interesting job that comes across usajobs
I apologize for getting into a shitty debate back when about Key West. You've got a lot of good input here. Cheers mate.

Back
Top Bottom