Serious What are your career goals?

Maybe I’m a piece of shit, but I fire off applications for anything I find interesting and let them sort it out. I applied to this supe gig at Hickam AFB in Hawaii a while back. Brother I didn’t have a single qualification they were looking for 😂 but I’m a quick learner. That being said, I’ll be honest in saying I don’t know the difference between excepted and competitive. I always just apply under the guise of “veteran.” Nor do I know what an interchange agreement is. I like to always be a dog in the fight until they tell me otherwise.

View attachment 8805
I did also think to just apply but can’t find one of those options that would sound okay for a non vet lol. Maybe I should still throw in lol, you never know.

I did also think to just apply but can’t find one of those options that would sound okay for a non vet lol. Maybe I should still throw in lol, you never know.
Aye Mr. All Knowing GulfCharlie, at least for my knowledge, can you break down the difference between excepted and competitive service and why someone from the FAA wouldn’t be able apply for a DoD job that is competitive?

Competitive service​

Competitive service positions are positions subject to the civil service laws passed by Congress to ensure that applicants and employees receive fair and equal treatment in the hiring process.

In the competitive service, individuals must go through a competitive hiring process (i.e., competitive examining) before being appointed which is open to all applicants. This process may consist of a written test, an evaluation of the individual’s education and experience, and/or an evaluation of other attributes necessary for successful performance in the position to be filled.

Excepted service​

Excepted service positions are any federal or civil service positions which are not in the competitive service or the Senior Executive service. Excepted service agencies set their own qualification requirements and are not subject to the appointment, pay, and classification rules in title 5, United States Code. However, they are subject to veterans’ preference.

There are a number of ways to be appointed into the excepted service such as appointed under an authority defined by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) as excepted (e.g., Veterans Recruitment Appointment) or being appointed to a position defined by OPM as excepted (e.g., Attorneys). More information can be found about excepted service in 5 U.S.C. 2103 and parts 213 and 302 of title 5 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

At a 12 Z now, but would like to spend some time at a mid level up down to get a taste of it. What route should I take after a stint there so I maximize high 3?

I chose DoD over FAA back in 2019, turned down 3 FOL's with the FAA since. Quality of Life for sure was the main reason, but turned out you can make really good money with the DoD too. started as an 11, got a 12 automations job, moved to Germany in 2022 full paid PCS and now get to travel with my family every weekend. return rights to my GS12 for 5 years. It's September and my year to date on my last LES is 122k so can't complain. definitely want to work some real traffic again and gets a little boring but with two kids under 3 I'll trade boring work for family time.

They’re hiring an instructor slot in FAY if anyone is interested. I applied the day after my kid was born but turned it down cuz he ended up having some complications (he’s fine and fat and happy now). It was around $32/hr, health care, and not sure about employer contribution matching. But it’s easy work and you’d get picked up immediately. I hit submit on the application and had a phone call within an hour.

Are those 1361 jobs only available in OKC?
There's a MD office and there's positions at regional offices as well, all within the faa, other agencies have them as well. I believe the NRO recently had one up for example. There may be positions at bigger atc facilities too but on that I'm not positive.

Start as a GS-12, 13 once you finish OJT (which has been pretty cake so far), 14 positions available which I believe are all internal supervisory type positions. They've been doing office renovations so I've been work from home since I started, though typically it's 2 office days a pp. PASS is really doing a number on the faa when it comes to return to work so still waiting to see what comes down the pipe on that.

There's a MD office and there's positions at regional offices as well, all within the faa, other agencies have them as well. I believe the NRO recently had one up for example. There may be positions at bigger atc facilities too but on that I'm not positive.

Start as a GS-12, 13 once you finish OJT (which has been pretty cake so far), 14 positions available which I believe are all internal supervisory type positions. They've been doing office renovations so I've been work from home since I started, though typically it's 2 office days a pp. PASS is really doing a number on the faa when it comes to return to work so still waiting to see what comes down the pipe on that.
NGA has them as well, I had forgotten. I had seriously considered this but as Master Gibbons is aware, that OKC life XD.

Awesome, thanks for the info. May be losing my medical soon, looking into all the possible options.

NGA has them as well, I had forgotten. I had seriously considered this but as Master Gibbons is aware, that OKC life XD.
Ya that's what I meant not NRO my bad.

Honestly as I've been saying for a few years now OKC is great if you don't want to live in a big city (with big city cost of living), but you want amenities. Seems like every month we have some new restaurant being nationally recognized/awarded, a new park popping up, a hip bar opening in a revitalized neighborhood or some cool old building being repurposed for njghtlife etc. Airport recently finished a big expansion project, thunder and the mayor working out a new deal to keep us a big league city thru 2050 at least, we are on track to host some Olympic paddling/rowing events for the LA olympics at our white water facility and the Oklahoma River (which already is an Olympic training facility for rowing if I'm not mistaken), I could go on. This place has come up a lot in the last decade or so.

The schools could be better, some terrain features would be nice (closer to the city at least), it's way too fucking hot in the summer, and I detest the state government here, but all in all there's a lot to like and people dogging on it because they spent thier Academy days going to club rodeo and jojos is shortsighted IMHO.

Honestly as I've been saying for a few years now OKC is great if you don't want to live in a big city (with big city cost of living), but you want amenities. Seems like every month we have some new restaurant being nationally recognized/awarded, a new park popping up, a hip bar opening in a revitalized neighborhood or some cool old building being repurposed for njghtlife etc. Airport recently finished a big expansion project, thunder and the mayor working out a new deal to keep us a big league city thru 2050 at least, we are on track to host some Olympic paddling/rowing events for the LA olympics at our white water facility and the Oklahoma River (which already is an Olympic training facility for rowing if I'm not mistaken), I could go on. This place has come up a lot in the last decade or so.

The schools could be better, some terrain features would be nice (closer to the city at least), it's way too fucking hot in the summer, and I detest the state government here, but all in all there's a lot to like and people dogging on it because they spent thier Academy days going to club rodeo and jojos is shortsighted IMHO.

I really looked at houses in Rivendell (for obvious reasons :) )

I am not, but IDA is close to some good skiing and fishing country, so it wouldn't be too bad I reckon.
Honestly it was a perfect location. Short easy drive through the pass to Jackson but rent was only $900 a month with utilities. I loved it… if I weren’t single and 25 lol

Not sure how it all works but it looks like being an excepted FAA employee I’m not eligible. That would have been a fun one to apply for.
I personally know a few FAA controllers who went DOD and have read about people who have done it on this website. Does that mean they applied to excepted service bids? I'm also excepted service but applied to the Iwakuni and a few other overseas gigs anyway (fingers crossed).

I'll be honest. I want to make as much money as I can while working the least complicated airspace I can find. As someone single with no kids getting weekends off isn't a priority for me. I want to be able to travel on my bid prime time leave so I can see the country/world. I'm at a great facility now with minimal overtime, available spot leave more than half the year, and the ability to let me work some temporary details. It will be hard to leave. If I was to try and transfer again I'd be looking for a facility with an optimal airport layout (can run simuls, widely spaced parallels, a good breakroom ie oven, ability to walk outside on breaks), not excessively chaotic satellite sectors, and what I consider decent weather (mid 80s in the summer, snow is OK, cold is okay). I'm nearly 15 years into my career and no intentions of staying past 50. There are a couple facilities I would like to tour to see the operation that I would consider trying to go to if I ever wanted to be a trainee again.
As someone in this situation at the FCT level, I would love to find a FAA spot that’s similar. What facility is this? CHS?

I just wasn't a fan of the damn tornados. I was one street over from that huge one that it May of 2013. I was driving towards Moore from TIK to get my wife and 5 month old. Everyone else was headed east bound on 240, and I was one of very few driving towards the storm. Can't say I was a fan of that 😂

Back
Top Bottom