What to do with current SSRI situation

Nableaux

Lurker
Hi, I've been a lurker on here for a while and if this has been discussed in depth before I'm sorry but I just wanted to try and ask. I was planning on applying in the next hiring bid but I'm starting to get worried about the medical clearance part. I know no one can tell for certain but I was hoping maybe someone might have some thoughts/guidance. I'm currently on Wellbutrin and Venlafaxine and have been for probably about 4 or so years. It started during a really dark time in my life with a really bad relationship but I've been out of it for almost 2 years now and have just stayed on the same meds. I'm in a %10000 better place both physically and mentally and I truly think I would be fine off of them I just haven't done anything different with them out of habit I guess. If I get off of them, would that put me in any better position for the medical clearance portion of the hiring process? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or help anyone has.

There is a guide on what medications are generally acceptable vs unacceptable to take on a continuing basis (ie you can take them and still work that day). Final determination comes from your Regional Flight Surgeon though. There has been recent movement on allowing the use of some SSRIs; the FAA has a how-to on the process as an ATCS. From the medication guide:

Some selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) such as nefazodone (Sertone), paroxetine (Paxil), and the related drug venalafaxine [sic] (Effexor) are not acceptable for use by ATCSs. The following SSRIs may be considered escitalopram (Lexapro), citalopram (Celexa), sertraline (Zoloft) and fluoxetine (Prozac), as well as bupropion Extended Release (Wellbutrin) SR/12 hour and ER or XL/24 hour formulations.

I say you should apply to the next bid, worst they can say is no. I would NOT recommend putting this job before your own mental health. You could start the conversation with your PCP/psychologist/etc about seeing if you can come off the venlafaxine and maybe the Wellbutrin too but if they think it's best for you to keep taking them... keep taking them.

For the wellbutrin you meet the 6-month stable dose requirement but if you stop taking the venlafaxine that probably resets the timer. Luckily you have time to play with it because the next bid opens next month and six months after that would be the absolute earliest you could expect to be starting the medical clearance process—and that would be super fast.

Back
Top Bottom