What's one thing you wish you knew?

Is life on L.I really that depressing? I live in Queens.

If you’re from here then you’re probably used to all the stuff that I find depressing. The taxes, the crowds, the traffic, the tolls, the shitty weather. The worst part is not being able to get off LI. I grew up in northwest Jersey on a horse farm and although my old town is only 72 miles away it takes 3-4 hours to get there.

If you’re from here then you’re probably used to all the stuff that I find depressing. The taxes, the crowds, the traffic, the tolls, the shitty weather. The worst part is not being able to get off LI. I grew up in northwest Jersey on a horse farm and although my old town is only 72 miles away it takes 3-4 hours to get there.
Get your pilot license and buy/rent an airplane.

I wish someone would've told me to also consider staffing when I chose my facility out of the academy.
A few (maybe only 1 or 2) of the instructors and evaluators do mention that. If there's nothing on your facility list that you're drawn to, look to go to a tower-only facility that has a shortish training time.
For example, this last tower class had GCN and MAF. Most of the instructors will say, "go to MAF, get that radar ticket so you've got a shot at going somewhere." I'll say, "unless you want to be in Midland, take GCN and get certified quick to put yourself in the best possible position for transfer."
It is true that MAF should produce a better overall controller than GCN. But it's important to think, "what will get me to my second facility quickest?"

I don't think any of the contract instructors are knowledgeable enough to know about how NCEPT truly works. Some of the FAA instructors may know a little about it, but still not very well.

A few (maybe only 1 or 2) of the instructors and evaluators do mention that. If there's nothing on your facility list that you're drawn to, look to go to a tower-only facility that has a shortish training time.
For example, this last tower class had GCN and MAF. Most of the instructors will say, "go to MAF, get that radar ticket so you've got a shot at going somewhere." I'll say, "unless you want to be in Midland, take GCN and get certified quick to put yourself in the best possible position for transfer."
It is true that MAF should produce a better overall controller than GCN. But it's important to think, "what will get me to my second facility quickest?"

I don't think any of the contract instructors are knowledgeable enough to know about how NCEPT truly works. Some of the FAA instructors may know a little about it, but still not very well.

Agree 100%. I doubt of any instructors at the academy even know what NCEPT is. The advice they give you is mostly based on the FAA when they where working.

1) picking a facility based off of Up/Down over a Tower only is nonsense just to get a radar ticket. Pick whatever facility is best staffed and fastest checkout time. Move on and up from there.

2) Max out that TSP as soon as you can afford it.

3) Get involved ASAP in NATCA and/or the legislative side of it. Attend CFS, NATCA Academy Classes, the conventions, NIW, etc. It's by far the best way to network and meet people in this small agency. Make connections, especially at places you want to go. It will help you advance your career much more than a strong resume will in this day of NCEPT. Remember, a lot of the time its who you know, not what you know.

Last edited:
1) picking a facility based off of Up/Down or Tower only is nonsense just to get a radar ticket. Pick whatever facility is best staffed and fastest checkout time. Move on and up from there.

2) Max out that TSP as soon as you can afford it.

The importance of a “radar ticket” has always been a joke, can’t believe some dinosaurs still push that but at least 90% of people know better now. Just like the RPI ranking in college basketball. It still exists, and it took a long time, but people finally learned to completly ignore it.

I wish someone would've told me to also consider staffing when I chose my facility out of the academy.
I wish I had known that the previously “adequately” staffed facility I selected out of the academy would change their CPC total, making it extremely understaffed today. So now I’m stuck here. ?

Yeah I doubt many of the instructors would've known much about the staffing/NCEPT. But the advice was definitely get to an up down and get a radar ticket then move onto a higher facility vs now it's move to an well staffed tower only and put in for wherever.

I guess it would have been nice to know how subpar the training is, how horrible the culture is towards trainees. Not cool being in a facility with a 50% realistic training success rate.
This, if you have no experience training in an ATC facility its a huge wake up call when you make it to your first facility and have to learn to play the game of being a trainee as well as actually learning the job.

I guess in this regard I really lucked out. the attitude toward trainees here (ZSU) is actually pretty positive. I am only an A-side right now, and D school won't be for a while, but as I work my position, some of the D-sides will take the time to explain some of what they are doing so I can understand the operation a little better. It's really encouraging as the new guy to have people who take the time to treat us like people and more importantly, future controllers.

@wrench978 yeah as my understanding goes it's a different creature between tower and center, most centers are really good at training since that's their pipeline I would assume.

Tower is just a bunch of assholes who want to work traffic.

Back
Top Bottom