Where to start?

Amber Ford

Lurker
Hello everyone, I'm fresh and very interested in becoming an ATC. I'm wondering can anyone give me pointers on the first steps to take.
So far I have registered with USAJobs as well as this forum.
I'm assuming I have to wait until the bid this year in order to "Apply". In the mean time, I want to study for the AT-SA.
I have visited ATCPrep.com but I am unable to purchase the software; is this the correct site for the material.

Thank you

Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep your eyes on the forums and USA jobs for when the next bid is out. It will be no secret when it's out, hard to miss.

As for the ATSA, I used ATCPrep.com and it was almost identical to the exact test. Your test may be a little different next year but it's definitely the best place to start.

Personally, I wouldn’t buy any sort of training material for the AT-SA. It’s an aptitude test for a reason, ether you pass well enough to be selected or not. Obviously if you practice you’ll do better than you would without practicing but is that really the point?

Personally, I wouldn’t buy any sort of training material for the AT-SA. It’s an aptitude test for a reason, ether you pass well enough to be selected or not. Obviously if you practice you’ll do better than you would without practicing but is that really the point?

I guess I'd disagree with this. I can't see any possible reason not to practice it beforehand if you are able.

But hey, guess we both were in Band 1, so to each his/her own

I have no prior aviation experience, I've been told since I have a bachelors degree study for the test, no school is required.

I guess I'd disagree with this. I can't see any possible reason not to practice it beforehand if you are able.

But hey, guess we both were in Band 1, so to each his/her own

Very true, everyone is different. I wanted to test based on my skill alone, I knew roughly what would be on the ATSA based on what I’d seen online but no idea how to do the actual test. I wouldn’t say the test is hard but it’s very fast paced and if you’re not mentally used to working that fast paced it can be overwhelming or difficult for some.

C_Ro you were on a previous bid, right? Or are you a 7/7 TOL’er?

Very true, everyone is different. I wanted to test based on my skill alone, I knew roughly what would be on the ATSA based on what I’d seen online but no idea how to do the actual test. I wouldn’t say the test is hard but it’s very fast paced and if you’re not mentally used to working that fast paced it can be overwhelming or difficult for some.

C_Ro you were on a previous bid, right? Or are you a 7/7 TOL’er?

Ya I agree with this, it's the fast paced portion that probably catches most people off guard.

No this was my first bid, I was flight operations in the Army, but then found another career and gave up the ATC dream. Got sick of my current career, beyond sick I'd say, so waited for the 7/7 bid to come around and think I applied on actual 7/7 the first day it opened lol.

I turned 31 a week after the bid closed too. Whew, snuck right in.

using the simulator from ATCprep.com gives you a huge leg up. It's nearly identical to multiple portions of the actual test. I feel like i had a huge advantage going in having practiced for multiple hours at home first.

Hello everyone, I'm fresh and very interested in becoming an ATC. I'm wondering can anyone give me pointers on the first steps to take.
So far I have registered with USAJobs as well as this forum.
I'm assuming I have to wait until the bid this year in order to "Apply". In the mean time, I want to study for the AT-SA.
I have visited ATCPrep.com but I am unable to purchase the software; is this the correct site for the material.

Thank you
If your fresh from from High School, then I suggest joining the Air Force as ATC. Do your 4 years get paid to gain your experience and when your in your 3rd to 4th year begin watching for Experience Bids.. I say this because the washout rates are very high from the Academy whether you have experience or college. With ATC experience (min52 weeks) you bypass the Academy and go straight to a facility.

If your fresh from from High School, then I suggest joining the Air Force as ATC. Do your 4 years get paid to gain your experience and when your in your 3rd to 4th year begin watching for Experience Bids.. I say this because the washout rates are very high from the Academy whether you have experience or college. With ATC experience (min52 weeks) you bypass the Academy and go straight to a facility.

Air Force has a 6 year service requirement for Air Traffic.

That’s quite the commitment, unless you really want to join the Air Force.

I say just wait and take the test. No commitment and no loss. If it doesn’t go well, make other plans. The Air Force will still be there.

If you get picked up off the test, yes, you still have a ways to go in terms of making it as a controller, and there are no guarantees. However you also be ahead of where you would be in terms of salary and seniority if you joined the Air Force and then got into the FAA.

Back
Top Bottom