Terminal 11/30/21 Terminal basics

also, any of you CTI grads or truly OTS? I'm a music school dropout currently selling insurance. So happy to be done with that.
Just curious what yall's background is.

Just a heads up from someone who went through the program recently, they really will teach you everything you need to know for the academy, at the academy. I wouldn’t worry about studying too much to prepare, it really isn’t all that helpful until you actually understand what you’re studying is in reference to. You will learn and study plenty once you’re there.

Just a heads up from someone who went through the program recently, they really will teach you everything you need to know for the academy, at the academy. I wouldn’t worry about studying too much to prepare, it really isn’t all that helpful until you actually understand what you’re studying is in reference to. You will learn and study plenty once you’re there.
I graduated back in August. It wasn't easy, but I think the hardest part of everything was getting over the nerves. They give you the tools to be successful. You'll have good days and bad days. Everyone had a scenario that put them down in the dumps thinking they weren't going to make it, myself included. If I could do it over again the only thing I would change would be getting a form of pad/strip management down sooner. 7/8 people in my class used a pad for IFR arrivals and strips for everything else. Not saying it's the best way, but I wouldn't mess around with a ton of different styles while you're in tabletop. Figure out what you like within 2-3 scenarios and then hammer it. REALLY FOCUS on keeping tack of your strips because a lot of errors start when people lose track of the touch n go's. Don't take fireballs too seriously when you get to the sims. Sometimes it's computer error and sometimes it's your fault. Our class made a tally on the whiteboard and it was pretty funny when someone had to go up there and mark 1 down. Don't get me wrong, they are bad and you should avoid them but they were a good reminder that hey this is tough and you aren't the only one struggling. You'd know that if they let you monitor, but that's a whole rant and a half. Try to stay focused when you're doing group practice sessions or they're a waste of time. Hold each other accountable for bad phraseology. It's tough to make the practice at home realistic. We mainly used it to make sure everyone had the phraseology down. When PA's come, fight for every point. We had someone pass with a 70.8 strictly because he TR'd a few "errors" and they reversed them in his favor. Most of the evaluators seemed fair. Good luck!

I graduated back in August. It wasn't easy, but I think the hardest part of everything was getting over the nerves. They give you the tools to be successful. You'll have good days and bad days. Everyone had a scenario that put them down in the dumps thinking they weren't going to make it, myself included. If I could do it over again the only thing I would change would be getting a form of pad/strip management down sooner. 7/8 people in my class used a pad for IFR arrivals and strips for everything else. Not saying it's the best way, but I wouldn't mess around with a ton of different styles while you're in tabletop. Figure out what you like within 2-3 scenarios and then hammer it. REALLY FOCUS on keeping tack of your strips because a lot of errors start when people lose track of the touch n go's. Don't take fireballs too seriously when you get to the sims. Sometimes it's computer error and sometimes it's your fault. Our class made a tally on the whiteboard and it was pretty funny when someone had to go up there and mark 1 down. Don't get me wrong, they are bad and you should avoid them but they were a good reminder that hey this is tough and you aren't the only one struggling. You'd know that if they let you monitor, but that's a whole rant and a half. Try to stay focused when you're doing group practice sessions or they're a waste of time. Hold each other accountable for bad phraseology. It's tough to make the practice at home realistic. We mainly used it to make sure everyone had the phraseology down. When PA's come, fight for every point. We had someone pass with a 70.8 strictly because he TR'd a few "errors" and they reversed them in his favor. Most of the evaluators seemed fair. Good luck!
Is a "fireball" a collision? what's a TR?

A fireball is a collision. The sim is sophisticated enough to show you the aircraft colliding and falling to the ground on fire. A TR is a technical review (ie. an appeal filed after a PA run to get points back only if an error occurred based on technical error or if rules/procedures were incorrectly taught and then implemented.)

Yea when two aircraft collide/get too close there's a nice little explosion. TR stands for technical review I think. Basically the evaluators' manger reviews the error with a board and they decide if it was an error/if the correct points were taken. You have to be careful though. They can also deem that you should have actually lost more points than you originally did. That's the way they keep people from TR'ing everything, the fear of losing more points.

You also cannot TR anything in the sim that was simply just observed by the evaluator. So if you thought 4500 and airborne and the evaluator says you had 4499 and airborne, you lose your points. Fail to pass a strip “in time”, you lose your points.

Hey I got this class date to. Coming from southern Utah (Bryce canyon area). Excited to meet you all. It'll be me and my wife and we've been looking into Kim's place for housing or potentially anatole. affordable but housing perdiem wont cover all of it because itll be the both of us. From what I can see at least. Thank you for the info on studying. I've heard it doesnt do much to study before but also heard that at least trying to understand a little bit about how to report weather, reading meters, different categories of planes, airport layout. Any truth to this?

Hey I got this class date to. Coming from southern Utah (Bryce canyon area). Excited to meet you all. It'll be me and my wife and we've been looking into Kim's place for housing or potentially anatole. affordable but housing perdiem wont cover all of it because itll be the both of us. From what I can see at least. Thank you for the info on studying. I've heard it doesnt do much to study before but also heard that at least trying to understand a little bit about how to report weather, reading meters, different categories of planes, airport layout. Any truth to this?
Yes. Anything you can memorize without learning the wrong concepts is helpful but you'll have time in Basics to learn it. So airplane types/Cats, airport layout helps. Basics teaches you all about METARs and I would wait for that one.

Just popping in to introduce myself and give a quick congratulations to everyone! I'm really excited to meet you all and get started.

I wanted to ask too, does anyone have some information on the places available to us for in-person? I'm way out of the loop on that stuff and need to put together a to-do list.

Yes. Anything you can memorize without learning the wrong concepts is helpful but you'll have time in Basics to learn it. So airplane types/Cats, airport layout helps. Basics teaches you all about METARs and I would wait for that one.
So could I find most of that stuff in the study guide off of .65 here? just want to make sure im finding the best material to study.

No we had to sit in our breakout room when we weren't running..... Wtf
? yikes. I’m pretty sure we’re a lot closer to each other in the radar lab than y’all are in the tower sim too…and there are 4-5 people looking at one radar scope when we’re monitoring so we’re all really close to each other

Just popping in to introduce myself and give a quick congratulations to everyone! I'm really excited to meet you all and get started.

I wanted to ask too, does anyone have some information on the places available to us for in-person? I'm way out of the loop on that stuff and need to put together a to-do list.
There's a list of housing providers in the FAQ and on the FAA website. You don't HAVE to use anyone on the list though. I'm personally planning to go to Kim's place. Seems like the most convenient option for my situation.

There's a list of housing providers in the FAQ and on the FAA website. You don't HAVE to use anyone on the list though. I'm personally planning to go to Kim's place. Seems like the most convenient option for my situation.
I won’t have a car, so I’m also looking into places on the shuttle route

Back
Top Bottom