2024 Pay Calendar and Pay Tables

But locality has nothing to do with the cost of living. There’s a huge difference in the two.
Correct. For years I (like many others) thought the same until I started researching how they assign locality, create new areas, and add other areas into existing ones.

From a recent OPM document for current locality changes:
Many commenters expressed the belief that various indicators of living costs are or should be considered in defining locality pay areas or in setting locality pay rates. Under 5 U.S.C. 5304, locality pay rates are based on comparisons of GS pay and non-Federal pay at the same work levels in a locality pay area rather than on any consideration of local living costs. Relative living costs may indirectly affect non-Federal pay levels, but living costs are just one of many factors that affect the supply of and demand for labor, and therefore labor costs, in a locality pay area. A comparison of living costs between geographic areas is not permitted under the locality pay law, but even if it were, it would not be a reliable indicator of local labor costs.

But local pay will be set based on local cost of living so it’s kinda a reach around anyways.
Negative. There are places where rich people have properties but don’t necessarily live there which make prices go up. I’m sure people in aspen or Nantucket would appreciate it.

Local pay is the industry pay. You could say that the local business will set the local pay due to the cost of living or else they wouldn’t be able to hire anyone
Have you ever hired anyone? You could say anything. Local business will set local pay at the local market rate. Which is not determined by local cost of living.

Fuck the RUS bro. A $350k house in Green Bay WI, Boise ID, Syracuse NY, that same house costs well over $1M in NYC, Los Angeles, Boston, SF, Seattle, and every other major city. The latter should have gotten 10% bumps.
Boise was probably a poor choose for your comparison, they are having a pretty big issue with houses skyrocketing the last 10 years. It’s more expensive than major cities like DFW, Houston, Atlanta, Minneapolis.

Something was posted on r/atc last night with someone saying they heard from their facrep that 5 centers are getting a raise that only applies to them. I dont remember all 5 but ZAB and ZHU were one of the 5
Essentially the 5 centers that should have already been upgraded pending ABACUS verification.

Back
Top Bottom