Abolish NCEPT

While in theory this works, when 50k people apply to open bids that specifically states “willing to work anywhere” there is no need or motivation.

Also, when someone from Sarasota wants to go to salt lake because their grandma is there, how does that work? They would be outside of that pipeline
They’ve never had a shortage of people applying to bids. The current go anywhere system is based off zero logic

No transfer idea or hiring placements matter if only 700 new trainees are making it to their facilities every year. Double (at least) the amount of trainees going to the academy and to facilities and staffing will improve. Until then the dribble of new trainees coming to each facility barely matches attrition.

No transfer idea or hiring placements matter if only 700 new trainees are making it to their facilities every year. Double (at least) the amount of trainees going to the academy and to facilities and staffing will improve. Until then the dribble of new trainees coming to each facility barely matches attrition.
They should just train en route guys in the centers. Reassign all the OKC instructors to the field

Why not just advertise every facility vacancy on USAJobs like the DoD does, or like they do with FLM announcements? People would apply where they actually want to go work, fill the rest with a lot more prior experience hires direct to the facilities, and give incentives for hard to staff facilities. Morale would be higher and people wouldn’t try to work the system as much (hardships/reinstatements). Have OTS vacancies choose states or at least regions before going to the academy so they’re not trying to find other ways to move as soon as they get to their first facility. Just my opinion. It means nothing to the agency/union, but career path is a choice to the individual, not the NCEPT lottery.
What you are describing is pretty much the system prior to ncept….and it didn’t work….what happens when you’re in a building that is understaff and you get selected on one of the bids someplace else?

Without adding a midshift at the Academy increasing new trainees to the field is pretty much impossible.

Turn ACY into a second Academy or expand the current one.

I think they should have an east coast academy. Or like you said, build more on the current academy. If there are constantly people going through the training pipe then might as well increase the flow a bit. I do know they run RTF classes till midnight sometimes because my class got switched to that with no notice. The instructors were doing double shifts which I thought was insane.

I think they should have an east coast academy. Or like you said, build more on the current academy. If there are constantly people going through the training pipe then might as well increase the flow a bit. I do know they run RTF classes till midnight sometimes because my class got switched to that with no notice. The instructors were doing double shifts which I thought was insane.
Yeah the evening shift goes until midnight

Labs all over the NAS sit empty from 4pm-7am

Truth bomb!

lol the lazy entitled contractors need their 1 hour + breaks in between runs, just as they got when they were Union men working the floor! And its not as if management is going to make them do any different. in solidarity

Season 1 Tea GIF by SHOWTIME

Truth bomb!

lol the lazy entitled contractors need their 1 hour + breaks in between runs, just as they got when they were Union men working the floor! And its not as if management is going to make them do any different. in solidarity

Season 1 Tea GIF by SHOWTIME
We run dysim classes of 3 students each and they run 3 problems a day (1 45 minute problem each). Hour break in between, home 2 hours early every day. We tried to add a 4th trainee to the class and run 4 a day, but NATCA would only agree to it if the students and instructors could get +2 OT every day to run the 4th problem. Like there's not plenty of fucking time already. Management wouldn't give the OT, so NATCA wouldn't let the 4th in the class. It's those kind of things that make you wonder if NATCA is really fighting for better working conditions or for OT.

We run dysim classes of 3 students each and they run 3 problems a day (1 45 minute problem each). Hour break in between, home 2 hours early every day. We tried to add a 4th trainee to the class and run 4 a day, but NATCA would only agree to it if the students and instructors could get +2 OT every day to run the 4th problem. Like there's not plenty of fucking time already. Management wouldn't give the OT, so NATCA wouldn't let the 4th in the class. It's those kind of things that make you wonder if NATCA is really fighting for better working conditions or for OT.
I did this unicorn r side class during Covid where we ran like 6 problems a day. I was done in 9 days. The feet dragging is the biggest problem in the FAA

I did this unicorn r side class during Covid where we ran like 6 problems a day. I was done in 9 days. The feet dragging is the biggest problem in the FAA
Did you really expect the government to be efficient? Lolol. I work with a lot of people who have the mindset that they're getting paid the same whether they do a good job or not and you know what? They're right. Wish I could adopt such a mindset but it's not in my DNA unfortunately.

Turn ACY into a second Academy or expand the current one.
Or open up the MARC school again. All the equipment is still there. This is why some random CTI at a community college in Minnesota had the best center lab of any CTI bar none. The MARC school (Midwest Aviation Regional Consortium) was a center-only alternative to OKC and was in operation until it didn’t make the budget one year back in (I think) the early 2000s. It was what so many people have suggested here: a second OKC. Unfortunately it was shut down and the equipment sat until the CTI program started and it got bought by a community college.

It’s pretty funny/sad to sift through the “hiring bid” comments on Reddit. In the most recent one some guy wants to end up at N90/ZNY and someone tells him that it is impossible to get either out of the academy. My takeaway from Reddit is the profession is now viral and the transfer situation will get much worse because it’s clear to see how many of them are going to immediately try to move after cert. The irony is there are a lot from hard to staff areas who will be locked out of those areas by the 30% trainee ratio rule.

It’s pretty funny/sad to sift through the “hiring bid” comments on Reddit. In the most recent one some guy wants to end up at N90/ZNY and someone tells him that it is impossible to get either out of the academy. My takeaway from Reddit is the profession is now viral and the transfer situation will get much worse because it’s clear to see how many of them are going to immediately try to move after cert. The irony is there are a lot from hard to staff areas who will be locked out of those areas by the 30% trainee ratio rule.
They're sending OTS hires to N90 now if you have a Long Island zip code

They're sending OTS hires to N90 now if you have a Long Island zip code
That’s great news and we should do that for every facility. Increasing the number of trainees that are where they want to go is the only way to better staffing otherwise we will continue to break records in hardships and supe promotions. Supe promotions are up 100% if I’m not mistaken

Back
Top Bottom