Academy Post-COVID

I wonder what they're going to do with the people who opted out then..my HR rep says there aren't any plans for us and won't allow me to enroll in virtual basics either.
Why wouldnt you take virtual basics? Virtual versus in person basics is the difference between a 95 and 92. And with it being a pass fail if you are even close to failing (70s) you are going to have a terrible time across the street.

Virtual basics requires you to accept $12/hr for an indefinite amount of time. Not livable for everyone, but it’s a good trade off if you can take it. Virtual folks are also getting a few months head start on the real academy material.

Why wouldnt you take virtual basics? Virtual versus in person basics is the difference between a 95 and 92. And with it being a pass fail if you are even close to failing (70s) you are going to have a terrible time across the street.
I don’t think it can be called across the street anymore. It’s just called. Going to the academy

Virtual basics requires you to accept $12/hr for an indefinite amount of time. Not livable for everyone, but it’s a good trade off if you can take it. Virtual folks are also getting a few months head start on the real academy material.
Right. This, plus when COVID first started, HR was communicating that students who opted out would have first dibs going back. Now, they're saying there aren't any plans yet, and once you opt out, you can't opt back in..

Right. This, plus when COVID first started, HR was communicating that students who opted out would have first dibs going back. Now, they're saying there aren't any plans yet, and once you opt out, you can't opt back in..
I don't think it's that you can't opt in, I think it's that there literally aren't any classes for us right now. They're bottlenecked, by the sound of it

Obviously everyone made a decision based on their personal situation and the information they received, but I was never given that impression. When I got the call to do virtual basics I asked how long the wait would be if I opted out and if they would even do in person basics anymore. The lady answered "We don't know" and "Probably not."

I think I was told on a Friday to report on the following Wednesday. Total shitshow
What day was that?

Right now I have a tentative academy date for December. I know things change all the time, but I don't see why they would tell me to report less than a week before

I don't think it's that you can't opt in, I think it's that there literally aren't any classes for us right now. They're bottlenecked, by the sound of it
They were saying that people who opted out would get first priority over people who chose virtual basics to go to the academy when it opened back up. Over the past couple months people who completed virtual basics have been given dates to go to the academy even as recent as this week. So it looks like the opt out people do not have first priority. I think its going to turn out to be a big mistake opting out. Unless you are comfortable with your current job and make a lot more money of course.

They were saying that people who opted out would get first priority over people who chose virtual basics to go to the academy when it opened back up. Over the past couple months people who completed virtual basics have been given dates to go to the academy even as recent as this week. So it looks like the opt out people do not have first priority. I think its going to turn out to be a big mistake opting out. Unless you are comfortable with your current job and make a lot more money of course.
Based off the tidbits of information that has been shared by instructors during these zoom classes, the top priority rn is to get the people stuck in the zoom cycle to academy. There have been rumors that they will up the amount of classes soon to get all the zoom students in asap.

Based off the tidbits of information that has been shared by instructors during these zoom classes, the top priority rn is to get the people stuck in the zoom cycle to academy. There have been rumors that they will up the amount of classes soon to get all the zoom students in asap.
Yeah that’s what I’ve seen. I’m in basics right now and my last day is 10/20. We’ve been told that March is estimated to be our academy date but they really didn’t have much of a clue either with how uncertain the future is. I believe Mr. Miner’s basics just finished up and they all got December and January dates so I’m going to be optimistic and hope for a late January early February academy date.

Yeah that’s what I’ve seen. I’m in basics right now and my last day is 10/20. We’ve been told that March is estimated to be our academy date but they really didn’t have much of a clue either with how uncertain the future is. I believe Mr. Miner’s basics just finished up and they all got December and January dates so I’m going to be optimistic and hope for a late January early February academy date.
Are you terminal or enroute? Enroute dates are coming out in January, but Terminal seems to be a couple of months behind that.

I think we got a good chance for a gov shutdown if Trump loses. Unless congress nuts up and overrides him
Is this the thread you meant to be in?

I’m terminal and Mr Miner is Enroute so that would make sense then. Dammit!! Lol
Yep, there are alot more en route classes than terminal at the academy currently, so you could be looking at a late March/April class date by the time you finish basics if they don't increase class numbers soon. Buuut who even knows at this point

Right...and now not only do we not have first priority, there doesn't seem to be a plan for us. Plus it sounds like there won't be basics at the Academy anymore.

Also, my HR rep said this, "As of right now, once virtual onboarding is declined, you will not me offered another class date until the academy opens back up."

Right...and now not only do we not have first priority, there doesn't seem to be a plan for us. Plus it sounds like there won't be basics at the Academy anymore.

Also, my HR rep said this, "As of right now, once virtual onboarding is declined, you will not me offered another class date until the academy opens back up."
The Academy is open though. One person declined his first offer and was given a September onboarding date, see CatEatingBroccoli

Back
Top Bottom