Academy Post-COVID

Are you sure they dont charge for parking? Thats what i was referring to and yea weather can be an issue with outdoor parking as well.
Oh man, a recurring cost would definitely be killer. But yes, they told me it's free parking for guests... but I'll be sure to double-check, for sure! Thanks so much!

Oh man, a recurring cost would definitely be killer. But yes, they told me it's free parking for guests... but I'll be sure to double-check, for sure! Thanks so much!
If its free then i see nothing wrong with it other than not being with your classmates which is a huge advantage to passing. Just make sure you leave early enough because you will get in trouble for being late. Not sure if its still fireable but it was, thats why its safer to take the mmac shuttle. Also, the roads suck in okc. I would look into anatole apartments, they are closest to the academy.

you should check google maps in the AM and PM over several weekdays and see what the real commute time is. bricktown is 2x the distance from the airport hotels, and is probably more than 2x the time

I've traded a shorter commute for a nice area before and the commute was soulcrushing after awhile

you should check google maps in the AM and PM over several weekdays and see what the real commute time is. bricktown is 2x the distance from the airport hotels, and is probably more than 2x the time

I've traded a shorter commute for a nice area before and the commute was soulcrushing after awhile
Ah, that's good advice. Thank you very much! I'll make a little log for these next couple of days to see what the commute's like at different times.

Keep in mind for study groups too. If you’re that far out from everybody else, it’ll definitely be rougher on you.

Also, make sure that the hotel you’re looking at actually works with the government otherwise it’s 100% out of your pocket. The housing per diem goes straight to the provider now so you never see it.

Keep in mind for study groups too. If you’re that far out from everybody else, it’ll definitely be rougher on you.

Also, make sure that the hotel you’re looking at actually works with the government otherwise it’s 100% out of your pocket. The housing per diem goes straight to the provider now so you never see it.
? That's a good point. I'll ask around to see where my classmates are thinking of going. Thank you for your input!

I know it depends on the class, but how frequently would you have study sessions? I'm wondering if overnight cram sessions a common occurrence at Academy...

? That's a good point. I'll ask around to see where my classmates are thinking of going. Thank you for your input!

I know it depends on the class, but how frequently would you have study sessions? I'm wondering if overnight cram sessions a common occurrence at Academy...

During non radar it was a huge help, radar was less so for me personally but I know a lot of my class mates still studied pretty consistently.

If you're someone who needs to study a fair amount at the academy(which I'd wager is around 70 to 80 percent of people) study sessions should be happening basically every day.

Cramming doesn't really work for the important parts because it's all about repetition and building good habits which doesn't really happen if you wait till the last minute to study.

Don’t. It’s too far away
Aaahhh, thank you for your input! I'm definitely thinking hard & reconsidering after these forum responses.

If you're someone who needs to study a fair amount at the academy(which I'd wager is around 70 to 80 percent of people) study sessions should be happening basically every day.

Cramming doesn't really work for the important parts because it's all about repetition and building good habits which doesn't really happen if you wait till the last minute to study.
Yessir! I understand that I should be studying every day! I just wasn't sure how often people tend to get together at each other's homes to do it.

Aaahhh, thank you for your input! I'm definitely thinking hard & reconsidering after these forum responses.

Yessir! I understand that I should be studying every day! I just wasn't sure how often people tend to get together at each other's homes to do it.

I stayed at a small room in a rental house back when you could bank the rest of the per diem.

I was close to Kim’s place where a bunch of my classmates were staying so that made it super easy to meet up.

I’d say we had study group 2x a week, particularly during labs. Almost everyone attended, and everyone in the class passed. I think you‘d be wise to make it your mission for three months to do nothing that won’t help you in passing the academy. You’ll have plenty of time to hit the bars once you get where you’re going.

I stayed at a small room in a rental house back when you could bank the rest of the per diem.

I was close to Kim’s place where a bunch of my classmates were staying so that made it super easy to meet up.

I’d say we had study group 2x a week, particularly during labs. Almost everyone attended, and everyone in the class passed. I think you‘d be wise to make it your mission for three months to do nothing that won’t help you in passing the academy. You’ll have plenty of time to hit the bars once you get where you’re going.
Thank you for sharing your study experience! That's extremely helpful. I'll try to take that advice to heart, going forward.

Thank you for sharing your study experience! That's extremely helpful. I'll try to take that advice to heart, going forward.
which hotel in bricktown said they'd be able to match the gov rate? i was thinking of staying at the embassy suites near the airport cause its definitely gonna get me to hilton diamond tier and it would be closer to class and groups but I think staying at the skirvin would be nice too lol, especially if I could negotiate free food in the evenings or get a room upgrade on the spot to a dope suite because I'm gold tier already

plus if me and my class were going out on the weekends to get fucked up it would be nice to have a pad nearby to crash at tbh

which hotel in bricktown said they'd be able to match the gov rate? i was thinking of staying at the embassy suites near the airport cause its definitely gonna get me to hilton diamond tier and it would be closer to class and groups but I think staying at the skirvin would be nice too lol, especially if I could negotiate free food in the evenings or get a room upgrade on the spot to a dope suite because I'm gold tier already

plus if me and my class were going out on the weekends to get fucked up it would be nice to have a pad nearby to crash at tbh
Lol nice. Unfortunately, I don't think I saw the Skirvin on the FAA list, but I've just been going down one by one and doing research: Federal Aviation Administration - Housing List

There's a handful of listed hotels in the Bricktown area! EDIT: doesn't look like there are any Hilton's there though.

Last edited:
Lol nice. Unfortunately, I don't think I saw the Skirvin on the FAA list, but I've just been going down one by one and doing research: Federal Aviation Administration - Housing List

There's a handful of listed hotels in the Bricktown area!
oooo i like residence inns but marriott lost me as a customer cause they said my nights this year aren't gonna roll over to next year so I said fuck em

I think I'm just gonna do the embassy suites tbh for the location and they have free breakfast and I guess something to eat for dinner at least, study sun-th, uber to downtown and party on Friday, recover Saturday and then repeat

oooo i like residence inns but marriott lost me as a customer cause they said my nights this year aren't gonna roll over to next year so I said fuck em

I think I'm just gonna do the embassy suites tbh for the location and they have free breakfast and I guess something to eat for dinner at least, study sun-th, uber to downtown and party on Friday, recover Saturday and then repeat
Don’t forget the embassy suites “two adult beverages” every night. Not sure if they are still doing that during covid or not.

Back
Top Bottom