Aeromedical is Broken

mr.k99

Don't you just love how the job the public thinks is "the most stressful job in the world" is the same one where you can be penalized for seeing a counsellor?

I think we all see the issues in our facilities. People should not fear retaliation for disclosing medical issues. And then, of course, all we hear from on high is how everything is just fine and you're the problem. Along with a lot of meaningless platitudes.

A survey last year of over 3700 pilots revealed that 56% showed "healthcare avoidance behaviors" due to fear of medical certificate action. The same team is now repeating the study with air traffic controllers and flight attendants (link at bottom if you want to participate; it's through Columbia University and is all anonymous).

What's your opinion, and what do you see happening in your facility? I'm curious to hear some of the stories from other facilities.

Link to Columbia study:

I see both sides to this, it sucks we can't get some treatments other people do, but it is a special job and not all standards are the same for every job out there. I liken it to military men having to pass the PT test. Unless things changed, they will work with you if you have an issue and can't for awhile, but eventually its a firm job requirement. I don't trust EAP either. If you talk to a counselor there about a divorce or how your Tinder date stood you up or how you lost $12,000 on crypto that is fine, but they do have a duty to report if they think you are potentially the slightest threat to yourself or others. And if you speak to a idiot there, they can twist anything you saw and interoperate it how they choose.

I see both sides to this, it sucks we can't get some treatments other people do, but it is a special job and not all standards are the same for every job out there. I liken it to military men having to pass the PT test. Unless things changed, they will work with you if you have an issue and can't for awhile, but eventually its a firm job requirement. I don't trust EAP either. If you talk to a counselor there about a divorce or how your Tinder date stood you up or how you lost $12,000 on crypto that is fine, but they do have a duty to report if they think you are potentially the slightest threat to yourself or others. And if you speak to a idiot there, they can twist anything you saw and interoperate it how they choose.
Duty to report is only a threat to self, a threat to others or child/elder abuse. Nothing else is to be reported to anyone but the therapist you speak with.

And if you don't like your therapist call back and ask for a new one. It's contracted out. It's not through the FAA, they don't see your session notes or anything like that. All the FAA does is pay the bill. And this goes for anyone living in your household... if your spouse or children need help, get it for them.

Back
Top Bottom