After graduating and being assigned to a facility, am I required to go to the facility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lahardee

My question is essentially if I get assigned somewhere (aka Nebraska just as an example) that I can’t see myself surviving (Florida guy here lol) am I required to go or can I just simply walk away from the job?
I know it’s a big investment of time to walk away but it’s a question I’ve wondered for a while. Thanks!

You can refuse placement. You'll be fired(you might technically be quitting) and be ineligible to be rehired.

...And everyone will hate you for taking a spot from someone who wanted to be there no matter where they ended up.

Good luck!

My question is essentially if I get assigned somewhere (aka Nebraska just as an example) that I can’t see myself surviving (Florida guy here lol) am I required to go or can I just simply walk away from the job?
I know it’s a big investment of time to walk away but it’s a question I’ve wondered for a while. Thanks!
No dude, once you commit to OKC it’s a 6 year commitment, just like ATC in the Air Force. If you refuse to report to your facility you still are legally committed to give the FAA 6 years, and if you turn down your assignment they can then place you in whatever position in whatever location they wish.

Does something prevent you from being assigned to certain places like family commitments or is it just not wanting to somewhere you think won't be a good time?

You can refuse placement. You'll be fired(you might technically be quitting) and be ineligible to be rehired.

...And everyone will hate you for taking a spot from someone who wanted to be there no matter where they ended up.

Good luck!

Nailed it.

I do think it’s quitting because in the very beginning of the application, that you first signed and sent in, it said you’d be willing to work anywhere in the USA or it’s territories. By passing and refusing placement you’re in breach of the agreement.

Does something prevent you from being assigned to certain places like family commitments or is it just not wanting to somewhere you think won't be a good time?
Family, aging grandparents

W
No dude, once you commit to OKC it’s a 6 year commitment, just like ATC in the Air Force. If you refuse to report to your facility you still are legally committed to give the FAA 6 years, and if you turn down your assignment they can then place you in whatever position in whatever location they wish.
Well this is conflicting information lol

Reactions: TW
We had a few take one for the team and picked places knowing nobody wanted and then quit after so that some people wouldn't have to go there.
So who’s right then. Some saying it’s a 6 year minimum others are saying you can quit and walk away lol

My plan is to go where ever they send me. If I don't like it try to work it out till I have the required experience to move over to a private contract tower in a better location if I can't transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom