Air National Guard

Honestly I think going guard while I’m FAA will more or less just break up the monotony of working at the same place.
I want to go Guard too, but I put it off until I get my list and find out where I’m going. I wouldn’t wanna start up somewhere for the Guard then get an FAA location in a diff state and then bounce on them after just a few months.

True that man. The craziest part of it all is we had tsp in the military but they didn't match shit.

Then you got FAA, make more money and they match 5 percent! That's wild!
Military matches now too, not when I came in 09 but as of two years ago they got with the times.

I want to go Guard too, but I put it off until I get my list and find out where I’m going. I wouldn’t wanna start up somewhere for the Guard then get an FAA location in a diff state and then bounce on them after just a few months.

It’s ways around that if that’s truly what you wanted to do. Actually you have at least 2 options

It’s ways around that if that’s truly what you wanted to do. Actually you have at least 2 options
I know it’s doable and I’ve known someone that is Guard in one state and FAA in another that makes it work. I just wouldn’t want to ditch them for the FAA and possibly burn that bridge.

What are the options?

Military matches now too, not when I came in 09 but as of two years ago they got with the times.

That's awesome! I was 03-08 and when I went faa and was informed about matching I was blown away that they couldn't throw us lower enlisted a bone... Oh well

I know it’s doable and I’ve known someone that is Guard in one state and FAA in another that makes it work. I just wouldn’t want to ditch them for the FAA and possibly burn that bridge.

What are the options?
You aren't burning any bridges unless you are in an active guard status, if you are just a regular weekend warrior, you can always split train the months you can't come to your scheduled unit drills. Most M-day guys are usually either out of state or have demanding jobs.

What are the options?
You could transfer to a unit closer to you or see if the unit you’re interested in would work with you. For example, I was in the guard in Mississippi with a guy who was a controller at Tampa. What our unit did was allow him to come to drill once a quarter. He’d come every 3 months and basically due drill dates for a week. It allowed him to fulfill his duty to the military and minimized his travel

You could transfer to a unit closer to you or see if the unit you’re interested in would work with you. For example, I was in the guard in Mississippi with a guy who was a controller at Tampa. What our unit did was allow him to come to drill once a quarter. He’d come every 3 months and basically due drill dates for a week. It allowed him to fulfill his duty to the military and minimized his travel
That’s what the unit that I’m looking at going to will do

yeah, I see the options. The Guard guys at my first facility said the chief would let them choose their schedule and they had it all worked out so they weren’t fighting each other for pro-time by coming in the same days.

Someone mentioned the guard giving out bonuses like candy... if I join as ATC would I get a bonus? Does it matter that I was prior-service ATC already?

yeah, I see the options. The Guard guys at my first facility said the chief would let them choose their schedule and they had it all worked out so they weren’t fighting each other for pro-time by coming in the same days.

Someone mentioned the guard giving out bonuses like candy... if I join as ATC would I get a bonus? Does it matter that I was prior-service ATC already?
i think it's only if you palace front. don't quote me though. are you still in?

i think it's only if you palace front. don't quote me though. are you still in?
No, I’ve been out since December. I’m planning on talking with a recruiter once I get settled, wherever that is.

I’m assuming I won’t have to go to basic again and I’ll be the same rank as I was when I got out? #E-4MAFIA

No, I’ve been out since December. I’m planning on talking with a recruiter once I get settled, wherever that is.

I’m assuming I won’t have to go to basic again and I’ll be the same rank as I was when I got out? #E-4MAFIA
Lol yeah you have to go to basic again.

#E4mafia

thats pretty much every guard unit. People act like the guard is out to fuck you, when in reality, if you help them out, theyll help you out. Crazy thought process, i know.
After being active duty and seeing a lot of friends get fucked and getting screwed yourself it makes you hesitant. But all the guard guys have nothing but nice things to say and I’ve seen it. So I’m probably going to do it.

Long story short: I’m guard ATC and I just got picked up after 5 years of applying... OTS bid too, not like I could apply for the prior exp bids anyway.

Here is my long story explanation:

The guard is great for school money, serving your country/state, and getting a shot at “trying it before you buy it” with air traffic. If you want to do it, be honest with yourself about the military aspect of it. You will still be expected to perform all military service like all the men and women you serve with.

Now that we established that you’re 100% good with military service for 4-6 years and you really want to do it... here is some good knowledge I wish someone told me: You’ll spend 1-1.5yrs in basic training, tech school, and OJT. It’s good training, you’ll make some good friends and it’ll change your life. That being said, you cannot put military training on hold if you get hired by the FAA... Military comes first. So you’re gonna delay entry to the agency by at least that timeframe.

Note that the prior experience bids call for 52 weeks POST- Certification FULL TIME experience. That means AFTER you get rated at your base, you’ll need to pick up a full time slot (AGR, DOD Technician, etc.) for a continuous 52+ weeks. Personally, I did 2 years of AGR and Technician. However, mine was broken into 6-8months at a time. So while it was “consecutive” the FAA did not deem that as 52weeks.

The guard will allow you to put down on the application that you have CTOs, RAPCON, etc. whatever facility ratings you manage to get in the mean time. You’ll also earn the ability to skip AT basics (I recently opted to not skip as it’s been 5 years since I did school. Figure a few weeks of classroom won’t hurt).

Lastly, if you get picked up and are doing the pre-screening for the agency: do not be disappointed when your country tells you to deploy. It’s the life you signed up for and the FAA will hold your spot, you’re just gonna wait a little longer.

I’m not trying to discourage you or sway your opinion, I’m just giving you all the information that I have learned on my own. I wouldn’t trade my guard experience for anything, it has given me a great foundation in ATC that I can build off of. Just be smart in your decision and realize that you’re making a commitment to something bigger than your ambitions and dreams.

**Much love from the Middle East**

-PW

(Message me if y’all have any questions or anything)

Last edited:
After being active duty and seeing a lot of friends get fucked and getting screwed yourself it makes you hesitant. But all the guard guys have nothing but nice things to say and I’ve seen it. So I’m probably going to do it.
I haven’t heard one bad thing about it.

It’s kind of a pet peeve of mine when I see posts asking about ATC in the guard and if it’s easier to get hired that way.

Long story short: I’m guard ATC and I just got picked up after 5 years of applying... OTS bid too, not like I could apply for the prior exp bids anyway.

Here is my long story explanation:

The guard is great for school money, serving your country/state, and getting a shot at “trying it before you buy it” with air traffic. If you want to do it, be honest with yourself about the military aspect of it. You will still be expected to perform all military service like all the men and women you serve with.

Now that we established that you’re 100% good with military service for 4-6 years and you really want to do it... here is some good knowledge I wish someone told me: You’ll spend 1-1.5yrs in basic training, tech school, and OJT. It’s good training, you’ll make some good friends and it’ll change your life. That being said, you cannot put military training on hold if you get hired by the FAA... Military comes first. So you’re gonna delay entry to the agency by at least that timeframe.

Note that the prior experience bids call for 52 weeks POST- Certification FULL TIME experience. That means AFTER you get rated at your base, you’ll need to pick up a full time slot (AGR, DOD Technician, etc.) for a continuous 52+ weeks. Personally, I did 2 years of AGR and Technician. However, mine was broken into 6-8months at a time. So while it was “consecutive” the FAA did not deem that as 52weeks.

The guard will allow you to put down on the application that you have CTOs, RAPCON, etc. whatever facility ratings you manage to get in the mean time. You’ll also earn the ability to skip AT basics (I recently opted to not skip as it’s been 5 years since I did school. Figure a few weeks of classroom won’t hurt).

Lastly, if you get picked up and are doing the pre-screening for the agency: do not be disappointed when your country tells you to deploy. It’s the life you signed up for and the FAA will hold your spot, you’re just gonna wait a little longer.

I’m not trying to discourage you or sway your opinion, I’m just giving you all the information that I have learned on my own. I wouldn’t trade my guard experience for anything, it has given me a great foundation in ATC that I can build off of. Just be smart in your decision and realize that you’re making a commitment to something bigger than your ambitions and dreams.

**Much love from the Middle East**

-PW

(Message me if y’all have any questions or anything)
Lawlz who is this to?

Back
Top Bottom