Medical Allowed allergy medicine?

twn

Forum Sage
I'm an a-side at a center and my allergies are absolutely wrecking my life right now. Is there any medicine that I can take and still be allowed to work ?

I know you can take Claritin---I had my CIL stuff completed in July 2017 and was taking Zyrtec at the time. The FAA doctor that did my ekg, etc. advised I couldn't take Zyrtec because it makes you drowsy for up to 48 hours after taking a single dose. Claritin/D non-drowsy is on the FAA approved list according to the info I received. However, claritin didn't do much for me, personally. I ended up receiving allergy acupuncture treatments (5 sessions) and haven't had to take any allergy medication since end of November.

I always tell them I’ve taken the medicine before and had no issues. They’ve been known to ignore the holdover crap.

Allergy shots allowed as well, but have to get approval and there's some rules... like not controlling within 4 hours of shot or something.

Call the flight surgeon… don’t risk taking something you were told was okay on a forum. Flight surgeon has always been able to get me an answer within an hour or 2.

I'm an a-side at a center and my allergies are absolutely wrecking my life right now. Is there any medicine that I can take and still be allowed to work ?
Both Claritin and Allegra NON D-strength are approved medications to take regularly. I was told that personally by a central region flight surgeon. Call and ask them yourself to be safe, as bad as HR is I’d hate to see more FAA interpretation wreak more havoc on the controller workforce.

Back
Top Bottom