ALO consolidation

hayashi310

Hi, all!

Just read this article:

I was surprised to read that the FAA would ever just let go of the professional, trained staff at a TRACON.

Would any of you have insight as to how things would work for these controllers thereafter? Would it be easy for them to transfer to an equal tier facility? Does the system provide any support and priority to them to help achieve this?

It just doesn't seem to make sense as to why the FAA would continue training dozens of new hires every year only to let go of experienced pros.

Would appreciate any insight! Thanks, guys.

Hi, all!

Just read this article:

I was surprised to read that the FAA would ever just let go of the professional, trained staff at a TRACON.

Would any of you have insight as to how things would work for these controllers thereafter? Would it be easy for them to transfer to an equal tier facility? Does the system provide any support and priority to them to help achieve this?

It just doesn't seem to make sense as to why the FAA would continue training dozens of new hires every year only to let go of experienced pros.

Would appreciate any insight! Thanks, guys.
Those 6 people aren't getting fired. They are getting to move to a (probably) higher paying facility.

I would be thrilled if they consolidated my facility.

Those 6 people aren't getting fired. They are getting to move to a (probably) higher paying facility.

I would be thrilled if they consolidated my facility.

Oh, that'd be great if that were the case!

If that's so, why was the facility so very against the merge? The article stated that they've been lobbying against this for a long time now...

EDIT: I suppose it's mainly just the city that's protesting the loss of their center? I'm so relieved to know that the controllers will be fine.

I don't know where you got they were getting fired from. Everything in it references them being moved someplace else, which is what will happen.

Thank you for the clarification!

I guess I was just confused because they quoted the director as saying "Unfortunately, we’re losing six high-paying, federal wage rate professional air traffic controllers," which sounded terrible.

I now understand that I was supposed to interpret this in the context of that facility only.

Thanks for setting me right, y'all! ?

I guess I was just confused because they quoted the director as saying "Unfortunately, we’re losing six high-paying, federal wage rate professional air traffic controllers," which sounded terrible.

I now understand that I was supposed to interpret this in the context of that facility only.

These consolidations are happening all over now and they are a great thing. Largely eradicating the ultra slow level 5 up/downs which offer no valuable training in the radar or tower. If your nuts enough to stay, you can do it. If you want to leave you can go to the facility the the radar is going to, or if you are smart you can manipulate NCEPT to go almost anywhere.

if you are smart you can manipulate NCEPT to go almost anywhere.

...even DFW!?

giphy.gif

They're going to get a fat list of facilities of which to choose from.
This is not how it works.

These consolidations are happening all over now and they are a great thing. Largely eradicating the ultra slow level 5 up/downs which offer no valuable training in the radar or tower. If your nuts enough to stay, you can do it. If you want to leave you can go to the facility the the radar is going to, or if you are smart you can manipulate NCEPT to go almost anywhere.
Its not as easy as if you want to leave you can. When we got consolidated they initially offered our facility three slots at the new facility, we had 18 or so controllers. Yes, several people got out in NCEPT, but several people got stuck. Only now instead of being stuck at a Level 5 up/down they are stuck at a soon to be Level 4 tower. With the new NCEPT changes they are having a hard time getting out. They currently have 15 controllers, new staffing number is 9, ZERO got picked up last NCEPT round. So while consolidation is a game changer for some, for others it's making a bad situation worst with no end in sight.

Its not as easy as if you want to leave you can. When we got consolidated they initially offered our facility three slots at the new facility, we had 18 or so controllers. Yes, several people got out in NCEPT, but several people got stuck. Only now instead of being stuck at a Level 5 up/down they are stuck at a soon to be Level 4 tower. With the new NCEPT changes they are having a hard time getting out. They currently have 15 controllers, new staffing number is 9, ZERO got picked up last NCEPT round. So while consolidation is a game changer for some, for others it's making a bad situation worst with no end in sight.
How many cpc's got out in the past 3 or 4 ncept panels?

Did everyone put in for their 1 dream facility that couldn't select anyone or what? You guys have 13 CPC's and 6 releases. How hard could it really be to get picked up somewhere?
A few only put in for a facility or two but others put in for several facilities. With the new changes, less facilities are picking up and the slots at those facilities are more competitive. My current facility was able to pick up last panel but the number of ERR packets increased exponentially because of it. When most of the facilities that can pick up are 9 and above and 30-50 people are competing for a few spots, a lvl 4 tower next to your name typically ensures your name goes to the bottom of the list. Yes, some people have "connection", but at the end of the day you can visit all day long it's hard to be competitive on the ATM"s list.

Last edited:

I read that as the local economy is losing almost a million dollars annually in salaries.

Back
Top Bottom