Any possible routes out of AK FSS

Sloppycobb13

Are there any options or routes out of AK FSS. Either working on routes into facilities or DC? Management? Anything at all.

I'm not in AK. I have not accepted a TOL there..

I don't really want to do ATC again, but can't picture myself living in Alaska for more than 5-10 years.

If natca ever does their job there will be. AKFSS is supposed to be part of NCEPT but they never agree on how that would
work. But you can absolutely go into management and then move around the agency like anyone else to any job you qualify for.

It's perpetually in the works, and I do think it will happen one day. That being said once we're part of NCEPT we'll have the exact same staffing issues everyone else has. At least for a little while anyway.

The management route works if you want to go to the ROC or NOTAM Office, but tower and center supe bids are worded to require experience in that kind of facility.

Also, don't write off Alaska completely if you're even slightly interested. It's a cool place to live provided you aren't in like Dillingham or Kotzebue. FSS is easy and the pay is pretty comfortable.

As others said, only way out is to advance high up in management then maybe get to DC. Or maybe you would qualify to be the manager of the 2154 Air Traffic Assistants at a center.

FAA/NATCA are not doing anyone favors by offering center wash outs FSS, they use it as a way to staff their hard to staff FSS locations while selling people the delusion they can get back into ATC one day.

As others said, only way out is to advance high up in management then maybe get to DC. Or maybe you would qualify to be the manager of the 2154 Air Traffic Assistants at a center.

FAA/NATCA are not doing anyone favors by offering center wash outs FSS, they use it as a way to staff their hard to staff FSS locations while selling people the delusion they can get back into ATC one day.
It makes no sense really. Letting a certified fss employee go to a tower seems as reasonable as any other hiring they do.

I thought FSS was already apart of NCEPT, but the proposed rules were so terrible they wouldn’t be able to move anyways. They wouldn’t be grouped by individual facilities but by the entirety of Alaska. Which means they’re about 100 people short or something ridiculous like that of releasing 1 person.
Also, the remote locations such as DLG, and OTZ are 7 on 7 off, per diem, paid flights there, and plenty of ot if you want it. Not a bad gig at all.

I thought FSS was already apart of NCEPT, but the proposed rules were so terrible they wouldn’t be able to move anyways. They wouldn’t be grouped by individual facilities but by the entirety of Alaska. Which means they’re about 100 people short or something ridiculous like that of releasing 1 person.
Also, the remote locations such as DLG, and OTZ are 7 on 7 off, per diem, paid flights there, and plenty of ot if you want it. Not a bad gig at all.
Might have been like that at one time, but for now FSS is not in the NCEPT. AK FSS is like the wild west. Until recently, the head of AK FSS has been able to say, "JNU FSS numbers are 17 CPCs" and 2 months later saying, "JK, your numbers are now 13, because I think we need 4 of our new hires to go to XXX" If FSS were in the NCEPT, the faa has to make a firm decision on what everyone's staffing numbers are, and stick with it.

Back
Top Bottom