I just got warned of a "pattern" in my sick leave from taking the last few Fridays off for fatigue leave. How will this affect me, if at all?

I'm the "asshole" that always takes the OT because the other assholes can't stay away from heroin and meth, and we have the staffing if I call out on the day I want to that we won't need to call in OT for my call off so idek why it matters if it's a pattern if there is staffing. The other guys don't even want the OT. I was trying to help out, but I've always been told not to be loyal to companies because they don't give a shit about the employee and it shows.
Every controller has a target on their back. Some have targets so small it would take a highly experienced sniper to hit it. Others have targets so big that a blind quadriplegic could hit it with a boomerang. You can shrink the size of your target by being a good employee, being a good controller, and not bringing attention to yourself. It is up to you how big of a target you have.

Every controller has a target on their back. Some have targets so small it would take a highly experienced sniper to hit it. Others have targets so big that a blind quadriplegic could hit it with a boomerang. You can shrink the size of your target by being a good employee, being a good controller, and not bringing attention to yourself. It is up to you how big of a target you have.
I get that. I DO work hard. I study even as a CPC. I train all the time. I CIC constantly so supes don't have to. I do complete checklists while others say, "I don't need to do that." I make necessary phone calls for outages and checks where others say "that's not my problem". I do my ELMs without needing to be reminded where some wait until it's too late so they can get credit time to do it. I clock in when I'm supposed to on time, where others come in late and fudge the clock in to show they were here and management knows and doesn't care.

I swear I've tried to do the most I can minus this sick leave recently and I feel targeted. I guess I'll just keep trying and hope it changes.

I get that. I DO work hard. I study even as a CPC. I train all the time. I CIC constantly so supes don't have to. I do complete checklists while others say, "I don't need to do that." I make necessary phone calls for outages and checks where others say "that's not my problem". I do my ELMs without needing to be reminded where some wait until it's too late so they can get credit time to do it. I clock in when I'm supposed to on time, where others come in late and fudge the clock in to show they were here and management knows and doesn't care.

I swear I've tried to do the most I can minus this sick leave recently and I feel targeted. I guess I'll just keep trying and hope it changes.
Thanks for being a great employee. I’m sure you’ll get this worked out and go on to be a leader among your peers, using this as an example of your maturity growth.

Anyone in your immediate family have a health condition you need to assist with? Get yourself an FMLA letter from the family doc and then they can't say shit. You can use whatever leave you want to help care for your family member and rest at the same time and they'll be in checkmate. Note: must be done correctly and valid.

Anyone in your immediate family have a health condition you need to assist with? Get yourself an FMLA letter from the family doc and then they can't say shit. You can use whatever leave you want to help care for your family member and they'll be in checkmate.
Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the country from family because I've been trapped at my first facility like most, so idk if that's possible for me to go that route. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Regardless if you think it’s fair or not, it’s just the way she goes. You can’t call in sick on the same day even every other week for an extended period. Some people call in for every OT and don’t get in trouble. Depends on facility management. But when you’re actually using sick leave it’s a different story. Yes, people at high level facilities are getting SL abuse letters for calling off too many Thursdays within a x-month period, or regularly calling in on days that line up with their weekend. It’s something management can and will do especially when staffing is tight. Your argument seems like you want to keep the OT pay and still have a 2 day weekend because a 2 day weekend is our right.

This is great advice

"no pattern is a pattern" - supes at my facility

Taking Fridays off is a rookie mistake. Switch it up every now & then. For next year, try to bid your leave so that you have 3 day weekends often to give yourself a break. You aren't alone in this and the FAA is ran by a bunch of idiots.

We had SL letters going out last year for people who called out more than 3 times within a 3 month period. That was their justified "pattern". THEN they started going after people who called out of their OT regularly.

I think we should all not show up to our OT anymore but there's too many suckers to not do it

We had SL letters going out last year for people who called out more than 3 times within a 3 month period. That was their justified "pattern". THEN they started going after people who called out of their OT regularly.
I’ve seen this done as well. The basic justification was if you’re using all or more SL than you earn over a few pay periods, it’s a pattern of abuse. Total BS but that’s how the agency rolls.

The salary and benefits this job offers just aren't worth putting up with crap like this anymore. Do what you gotta do OP. If you really ruffle their feathers enough you might end up with some time off work without pay which can be fantastic if you're financially stable.

The biggest issue I see here is where tf is your rep. If they try to give you any discipline at all immediately ask for a rep.

A sick letter is just a warning, at worst if you keep calling out of your OT then they can require you to have a doctor note for each time you call out for up to 6 months. If you bring a note each time, the agency can't do much per Article 25 of the CBA unless I'm mistaken.

The salary and benefits this job offers just aren't worth putting up with crap like this anymore. Do what you gotta do OP. If you really ruffle their feathers enough you might end up with some time off work without pay which can be fantastic if you're financially stable.
Suspensions can be spread out by management so as to not impact the operation. Also, suspension time doesn't count towards your retirement so your eligibility will get delayed.

Just be happy you are lucky enough to be at a facility where you can get all the OT you want. Especially if it’s a level 4-6, how else are you going to make good money?

Just take some Nyquil. Let the flight doc know you took it for a minor cold, or wait to call them until you come in on OT. Or if you don't want to come in, call the flight doc before your shift, you'll get DQ'd for however long they say (48 hrs I think). Let management know before or when you come in on your shift, and you'll likely will get sent home or not have to come in at all.

Yup last controller that targeted and harassed me relentlessly became a supe. Her initials were also KP
It’s terrible when you gotta watch yourself around the controllers you’re working next to. As if we don’t have a family to feed and controllers going after other controllers livelihood

Back
Top Bottom