Any word on when OKC classes will resume?

jenkins156

For both en route & terminal-
Whether it be the basics or the final portion after basics (what do you call those classes btw)?

I know they’re doing online basics currently, but has anyone been scheduled further out and given, for example, a September basics class that’s actually in OKC?

Also, for the people who have graduated online basics already - any word on when you’ll go to OKC to finish your final classes? And are you getting paid currently during the down time from when you graduated basics to when you have to

Also, for the people who have graduated online basics already - any word on when you’ll go to OKC to finish your final classes? And are you getting paid currently during the down time from when you graduated basics to when you have to

We were the test group for online basics before the pandemic was even a thought. As of right now we are doing Terminal Overview online, practicing rules for Academy Tower and phraseology. Three hours of classes and five hours of self-study. To answer the big question, yes we are getting paid.

Our instructor has told us that if we aren't at the academy after finishing the online classes we will just start from the beginning of the overview.

For both en route & terminal-
Whether it be the basics or the final portion after basics (what do you call those classes btw)?

I know they’re doing online basics currently, but has anyone been scheduled further out and given, for example, a September basics class that’s actually in OKC?

When they called me to ask if I wanted to do online or wait, she mentioned that they have no clue when it would resume back in OKC. She repeated that a few times because she said I could be waiting for a while. For sure though, July classes will be online.

Yeah I they have no idea. They told me it could be a year for all they know. I opted to wait because she told me that those who wait will be given priority over those who choose online classes.

Yeah I they have no idea. They told me it could be a year for all they know. I opted to wait because she told me that those who wait will be given priority over those who choose online classes.
Those who decline online classes and instead choose to wait end up getting priority? Priority for what exactly?

And that’s not seniority though, right? People who choose to take the online classes will get seniority over those who choose to wait right?

IMO, I’d reach back out and not wait... don’t trust what HR says, they don’t know when in class will resume. They may magically lose all your paper work and you’ll never hear from them again...

Those who decline online classes and instead choose to wait end up getting priority? Priority for what exactly?

And that’s not seniority though, right? People who choose to take the online classes will get seniority over those who choose to wait right?
They who wait will go to the academy before those who signed up for online classes.
IMO, I’d reach back out and not wait... don’t trust what HR says, they don’t know when in class will resume. They may magically lose all your paper work and you’ll never hear from them again...
Maybe I shouldnt trust HR but my pay will almost be cut in half if I wait. If this shutdown drags out for a year that much of a pay cut will hurt.

They who wait will go to the academy before those who signed up for online classes.

Maybe I shouldnt trust HR but my pay will almost be cut in half if I wait. If this shutdown drags out for a year that much of a pay cut will hurt.

That makes zero sense to me. I suffered through online basics, and currently suffering through an inconsequential overview course (instructors' opinion, we'll be doing it over in OKC) while we wait for the class to re-open. All the while taking home $280/week and not being allowed to work on the side other than weekends. Damned if people who are sitting at home and being allowed to work are going to get to go through this faster. I wasn't even given a choice.

That makes zero sense to me. I suffered through online basics, and currently suffering through an inconsequential overview course (instructors' opinion, we'll be doing it over in OKC) while we wait for the class to re-open. All the while taking home $280/week and not being allowed to work on the side other than weekends. Damned if people who are sitting at home and being allowed to work are going to get to go through this faster. I wasn't even given a choice.
How are they with taking time off during the period between basics graduation and academy?

Because let’s say I graduate online basics Today and don’t get to go to academy until like July 2021, do they expect you to go that full year (or more) without any days off

What time zone are you in? Might be worth getting a part time job. And what are you diverting your money to? I get like 700 a paycheck??
How are they with taking time off during the period between basics graduation and academy?

Because let’s say I graduate online basics Today and don’t get to go to academy until like July 2021, do they expect you to go that full year (or more) without any days off
I think there's a point where they'll just stop online enroute/terminal because there's only so many times you can go over the material...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my advice, but if the Academy gives you a chance to start now online or wait for an in-person class, I would absolutely take the online option. I get the pay sucks and some people don’t like the idea of online learning, but if you opt out, you could be waiting months for an in-person class that may or may not actually ever happen. There’s a chance the FAA May just force those waiting for an in-person class to take it online later down the road anyways.

Plus, nobody will admit to anything yet, but there’s some serious fear of potential budget comes come this fall. If you’ve already been on boarded as an employee, you probably have a lot better chance of sticking around than if you’re just someone waiting on a class.

And again yes the pay is shit, but the health insurance and retirement benefits are great, both of which you start receiving once you’re on boarded. Not to mention your seniority clock starts early and down the road, those extra couple of months can make a difference.

NATCA seniority doesn't start until you reach your first facility, after you graduate the academy. So no.

Entry-on-duty date (the day you're sworn in) doesn't count for NATCA seniority directly but I think it's the first or second tiebreaker if you show up to your first facility on the same day as someone else. It also starts the clock for your one-year probationary period and your three-year agency automatic (1%) TSP vesting period, as well as your years of service for your FERS pension. I'm not sure whether time spent sitting around (in class or not) counts as "good time" in terms of the special ATC retirement.

What time zone are you in? Might be worth getting a part time job. And what are you diverting your money to? I get like 700 a paycheck??

I think there's a point where they'll just stop online enroute/terminal because there's only so many times you can go over the material...
TSP and Insurance did a number on me. If this stretches on and on, and this rumor where those who wait will go first...I guess I'll cancel savings and insurance to get by.

Just my advice, but if the Academy gives you a chance to start now online or wait for an in-person class, I would absolutely take the online option. I get the pay sucks and some people don’t like the idea of online learning, but if you opt out, you could be waiting months for an in-person class that may or may not actually ever happen. There’s a chance the FAA May just force those waiting for an in-person class to take it online later down the road anyways.

Plus, nobody will admit to anything yet, but there’s some serious fear of potential budget comes come this fall. If you’ve already been on boarded as an employee, you probably have a lot better chance of sticking around than if you’re just someone waiting on a class.

And again yes the pay is shit, but the health insurance and retirement benefits are great, both of which you start receiving once you’re on boarded. Not to mention your seniority clock starts early and down the road, those extra couple of months can make a difference.
I mean the rumor that I'm contesting is that those who do NOT take online basics will go to the academy first...so even if we took basics online, they'll get to their facility before the online guys do. I wish I could see that on paper, it makes no sense to me whatsoever.

NATCA seniority doesn't start until you reach your first facility, after you graduate the academy. So no.

Entry-on-duty date (the day you're sworn in) doesn't count for NATCA seniority directly but I think it's the first or second tiebreaker if you show up to your first facility on the same day as someone else. It also starts the clock for your one-year probationary period and your three-year agency automatic (1%) TSP vesting period, as well as your years of service for your FERS pension. I'm not sure whether time spent sitting around (in class or not) counts as "good time" in terms of the special ATC retirement.
What's the difference between ATC retirement and the FERS pension?

What's the difference between ATC retirement and the FERS pension?

ATC retirement is the FERS pension for anyone hired today. What I'm saying is I'm not sure if time at the academy counts as good time.

Back
Top Bottom