April (Q2) 2019

There's also instances where a facility selects less than their allotment on NCEPT because the remaining slot(s) got filled internally from TMU or other staffing back to the floor.

I talked to Tim Arel, the deputy COO, recently....he said one of the problems is that there's 4 placement avenues (err/hardship/nest/prior-exp) from different groups all using the same numbers. Able to receive 1 person, and each group sends 1 person there...ends up have 3 too many. They were looking at making it a more dynamic list that each group updates to prevent sending too many people to a single facility. This may have been the start of the new process, but we'll have to wait for the Meeting Minutes to come out, or any RVPs send out an email to their people for clarification.

Makes sense, they’re trying to prevent another VGT example like I went over a few posts ago. Just would have had been nice to have disseminated documentation on this BEFORE this mess.

What Stinger said. Just got an email forwarded from Facrep saying this ncept was different and they looked at every pick dynamically weighing
1. The number of people in training vs the number of CPCs.
2. What stage of training every member in training was at (AG,D1,D2,D3).
3. Total training time.
4. Health of losing facility vs the gaining facility.
5. The number of selections already made for a specific facility in this panel.
6. Management ranking(insufficient experience, negative reference check)
7. Article 4, Section 4 and Article 60.

While we understand how the panel was done in the past, with our agreement to look at the system as a whole on this specific panel, we changed the dynamic of round two. To remind you, round two is where level nine and below facilities get a chance to staff their buildings to 100%. There aren’t many candidates by this round, as many losing facilities came off the board in round one. For the most part, almost every facility that came up in round two posed a scenario where we would be putting an employee from a lower staffed building into a higher staffed building. Generally speaking, we supported not acting on these requests, in keeping with the pre-NCEPT agreement. There were only three normal selections in round two, and one A4,S4 selection in round two.

Last edited:
Careful brother, the “transparency” of NCEPT is one of the main selling points the Agency and NATCA try to pass it off as. Everything is done based on numbers and formulas for the good of the NAS, and everyone gets to see every part of that.

It’s a simple way to justify how a 6 week experience CPC who wants to go to the 47th ranked facility will always get to leave in front of the 10 year CPC who trained him who applied for the 48th ranked facility.

Couldn't agree more. I've had ERR paperwork for SCT for almost 8 years now and am continuously passed over for candidates from much lower facilities. I have 2 - 12 Tracon tickets, level 8 up/down, and 4 years of military atc exp. Current facility has been a Cat 2 or better since I got here and yes, my err paperwork is up to date and accurate. It truly feels like a lottery or a matter of who you know. And hey, congrats to all my fellow controllers who got selected for their facilities. I hope to know that feeling one of these days. ?‍♂️

I have always defended NCEPT in the past. I feel I can no longer do that with a straight face. Seems pretty clear they have jumped the shark and people who were hoping and dreaming on being selected this round under a certain set of rules; were misled, and something totally different happened at this panel. Sad! :confused:

I have always defended NCEPT in the past. I feel I can no longer do that with a straight face. Seems pretty clear they have jumped the shark and people who were hoping and dreaming on being selected this round under a certain set of rules; were misled, and something totally different happened at this panel. Sad! :confused:

View attachment 2348
Looks like you were nothing but another one of the sheeple after all.....JK lol

It just had to be this NCEPT panel.. facility could release, wanted facility could select. Think I got hosed by #4 (4. Health of losing facility vs the gaining facility. )

That's just great.

Referencing Post 308, now it seems the only “guaranteed” (if they can be considered that) numbers are the Round 1 numbers. The Round 2 slots mean nothing. Also seeing how this process is continually changing, this potentially sets a “dangerous” precedent to start weighing the round 1 numbers, which in the end [as mentioned above] seems to defeat the point of the numbers based selection process.

But even round 1 isn't guaranteed now, as LAS and ORD showed. The person I know that had in for LAS and didn't get selected was at a cat 1 facility with a single trainee, and no one else was selected from that facility. They solely denied their transfer based on their belief that LAS was getting too many people. It completely goes against the idea of the NCEPT.

What Stinger said. Just got an email forwarded from Facrep saying this ncept was different and they looked at every pick dynamically weighing

You all think this was a trial and error as this is a special panel due to the government shutdown or it is going to be here to stay? So in addition to your facility having enough staffing and the facility you want has openings, your facility has to be more healthy than the facility you want’s staffing (at least for round 2, who knows about round 1)

Last edited:
So the whole “staff level 9’s and below to 100% projected” is basically out the window now is how I interpreted that email posted above.

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom