"baby leave"

axman

Trusted Contributor
looking for some clarification for maternity/paternity leave. Referencing article 26 section 5, and article 30. I have read over this multiple times. The question posed to me was" where does it start the FMLA must be taken in one "1" lump sum. What I have read, it doesn't say that. Technically could a parent to a newborn take 6 weeks, come back to work and then take another 6 weeks of FMLA under the same article 26 section 5 within that 12 month period?

looking for some clarification for maternity/paternity leave. Referencing article 26 section 5, and article 30. I have read over this multiple times. The question posed to me was" where does it start the FMLA must be taken in one "1" lump sum. What I have read, it doesn't say that. Technically could a parent to a newborn take 6 weeks, come back to work and then take another 6 weeks of FMLA under the same article 26 section 5 within that 12 month period?

Article 30 specifies uninterrupted. The FMLA leave though I'm not sure, it reads to me like they could break it up that way.

True in reference to the article 30. I see that as one ‘uninterrupted’ and then fmla ‘article26’ as possibly could be 12 weeks of ‘interrupted’ leave within 12 months.

For simplicity sake, break up Article 26 and Article 30. Article 30 is an additional benefit beyond FMLA leave...

Section 3. The leave afforded employees in this Article is in addition to
the leave entitlements contained in Article 26, Section 5.
The provisions of this Article shall not run concurrently with FMLA. The
employee shall determine in what order he/she will utilize the provisions
contained within this Article and Article 26, Section 5.

In theory you could take 3 months of FMLA, then 6 months of Article 30, then request an additional 3 months of Article 30.

In terms of your original question, you can use FMLA leave in any way you'd like for infant care in the first year. If you want to take 6 weeks, come back and realize it's too soon or your spouse needs extra help, you can take another 6 weeks off.

Heck, you could work 2 day work weeks, 3 day work weeks, etc to utilize your 12 weeks.

I've broken it up with each of my kids, no issue at all.

When we had our first child I took 3 weeks off then came back to work 3 days a week MWF for 6 weeks after week 2 of this management told me I couldn’t work part time and had to be uninterrupted leave, my local agreed with them so I had to grieve it myself, long story short I won, work 3 day work weeks longer than I had orgianaly planned.

FLMA has nothing to do with the CBA it’s the same for everyone in the nation and it allows you to take the leave uninterrupted or 1 day a week if you want.

For simplicity sake, break up Article 26 and Article 30. Article 30 is an additional benefit beyond FMLA leave...

Section 3. The leave afforded employees in this Article is in addition to
the leave entitlements contained in Article 26, Section 5.
The provisions of this Article shall not run concurrently with FMLA. The
employee shall determine in what order he/she will utilize the provisions
contained within this Article and Article 26, Section 5.

In theory you could take 3 months of FMLA, then 6 months of Article 30, then request an additional 3 months of Article 30.

In terms of your original question, you can use FMLA leave in any way you'd like for infant care in the first year. If you want to take 6 weeks, come back and realize it's too soon or your spouse needs extra help, you can take another 6 weeks off.

Heck, you could work 2 day work weeks, 3 day work weeks, etc to utilize your 12 weeks.

I've broken it up with each of my kids, no issue at all.

This actually would be a good thing to have stickied, if I had a dollar for each time I am asked.

This actually would be a good thing to have stickied, if I had a dollar for each time I am asked.
I think what gets most people(me included with my 6 month old) is an ATM insisting that it MUST be uninterrupted. I didn’t have the energy at the time to fight it so I took 6 weeks off with 64 paid and 16 lwop per pay period.

How does the paternity leave work for new employees? My wife is due Aug 13 and i've done my survey for facility placement monday and waiting for FOL. If i start work end of July or early Aug will I be allowed to take paternity leave if I just started, I wont have any leave saved or is there a probation period for when we can take leave? And is the paternity leave considered leave without pay?

Wait...I didn't think we got paternity leave, just regular leave we could take if we want. If we do that sucks, cause my last baby was in the NICU for 2 weeks and I only took 2 days off when she came because I didn't have a lot of leave to use. No one told me any different. But that was 7 years ago, so maybe that's changed.
It’s not true paternity leave. It’s just any other type of leave (sick, annual, LWOP) that can’t be denied.

Ok I probably wont take leave then starting off. I have mouths to feed lol. Maybe a day or two until we out the hospital. I can take paternity leave later though right?
My advice to you... If you need to work and start getting a paycheck as soon as possible, as a prior experience new hire you will get 64 hours (8 days) of change of station leave when you report to your facility. Don't use any when you arrive and use all 8 days for the birth. Given that your leave balance will be 0, your local facility can advance you up to 240 hours of sick leave to care for an infant via Article 30 of the slate book...

Section 4. During the period of leave under this Article, the employee may
choose how and in what order such absence will be recorded: sick leave,
annual leave, and/or LWOP, to the extent that annual and/or sick leave is
available. Advance sick leave may not exceed thirty (30) days.

Between the change of station leave and the advanced sick leave, you could take up to 7 weeks and 3 days off of paid leave (38 days).

Wait...I didn't think we got paternity leave, just regular leave we could take if we want. If we do that sucks, cause my last baby was in the NICU for 2 weeks and I only took 2 days off when she came because I didn't have a lot of leave to use. No one told me any different. But that was 7 years ago, so maybe that's changed.
Shame your FacRep wasn't looking out for you. The verbiage in Article 30 in the red book was identical and could've provided you up to 30 days of advanced sick leave.

Section 3. During the period of leave under this Article, the employee may choose how and in what order such absence will be recorded: sick leave, annual leave, and/or LWOP, to the extent that annual and/or sick leave is available. Advance sick leave may not exceed thirty (30) days.

In addition to this, you can also be placed on the leave donation list, which can be sent nationwide seeking donations. I commend you for coming to work, but can't imagine working traffic with that going on.

If anyone has someone at work in a similar situation, please educate them to what they have available and help.them.out. You won't miss the few days of leave you can donate. No one should have to be at work while their child is in the NICU.

How does the paternity leave work for new employees? My wife is due Aug 13 and i've done my survey for facility placement monday and waiting for FOL. If i start work end of July or early Aug will I be allowed to take paternity leave if I just started, I wont have any leave saved or is there a probation period for when we can take leave? And is the paternity leave considered leave without pay?

Get started with the job first, after getting checked out in a position, then worry about leave

My last post was deleted because I was not PC enough. So I say, ensure you have the job first, yes you need to spend time with the family, but having a great job will ensure the family succeeds. Try the big picture.

My last post was deleted because I was not PC enough. So I say, ensure you have the job first, yes you need to spend time with the family, but having a great job will ensure the family succeeds. Try the big picture.
It was deleted because it was disgraceful advice and to save you from the onslaught that was to follow. I can't even fathom getting upset at someone for taking leave for THE BIRTH OF THEIR CHILD. Maybe he should leave his wife in the hospital the next day so he can come in and finish up some CBI's...

The added benefit of taking time off while your wife gives birth is you'll find out real quick who the few people like @XRadar are at your facility and you can make sure to never train with them.

When you get the “big picture”, you will realize that family comes first and foremost in most peoples lives. Secondly, all facilities have people with that mindset. You know what, as you mature and go further in your career you will realize it is a shit mindset.

Lastly, if you taking leave for the birth of a child or care of a family member is what holds you back from success, then it wasn’t meant to be.

Yeah taking future leave from a future job is great! Tell me again how I am stupid? You can count on the baby being born, you have a T Capital Tee for not for sure not really happening O L. Sure, leave for a precious baby is important, but what does a fast food joint offer for FMLA? Take your future leave if you can, if you have the job... to the other dumbass posters, my baby is 26 and doing well, my retirement is closer than yours.

Idiocracy....Great movie! Here wigo!

My favorite part of that movie was how everyone took leave to spend more time with their newborns! I think we should lobby Congress to get rid of FMLA, it would really help MAGA.

Unfortunately some people prioritize things differently. Some people prioritize family, others prioritize belittling trainees. Different strokes for different folks.

Back
Top Bottom