BCBS Standard vs. BCBS Basic

I've been looking into which insurance option I'm going to take for my family, and standard looks like the way I'm heading. I just had a quick question.

For standard, there aren't regular co-pays for things (emergency care) and they instead have a percentage of the allowance as payment. Do these allowance payments tend to be cheaper than the co-pays on the basic, or do they come out as more? I can only find that allowances vary per institution, but no numbers anywhere as to how much they cost. So if anyone has standard and could let me know around how much those cost, that'd be great.

Solution
I had standard for a year. Then basic for a year. I had the same exact visits, as it’s routine what I need. Basic not only costed less, but all the out of pocket/copay added up together was less. From the little I know, standard is better if you tend to visit doctors that are out of network. If you’re going to be in network anyways, I can’t see how standard is better. Again, is this from the absolute bare minimum knowledge I have on insurance.

I had a MRI that cost me $100 with the basic plan. For the standard plan, it would cost 15% with a preferred location. If the MRI cost $675 with standard, then you would pay almost $100. But if it costs more, which it can go up to the thousands, then you’re gonna end up paying more.
Why not get the BCBS dental?
I’ve tried a couple of the other dental insurances and they all suck. I can pay for cleanings and X-rays with my FSA and save money vs having dental insurance premiums and fees associated with that.

Do you use BCBS dental? I’ve used Delta and GEHA for dental before.

I’ve tried a couple of the other dental insurances and they all suck. I can pay for cleanings and X-rays with my FSA and save money vs having dental insurance premiums and fees associated with that.

Do you use BCBS dental? I’ve used Delta and GEHA for dental before.
I have BCBS dental and I get 3 free cleanings and they paid for most of my fillings. Seemed like a good deal. It’s only a couple bucks a month

I need to get this, on a side note, anyone know how BCBS basic is in terms of lasik?
I have Blue Cross Blue Shield standard right now (104), and unless I misread the brochure I don’t even get a free eye exam. I enrolled in blue Cross blue shield standard vision for next year in 2021 because I was told by the FAA Medical examiner I have something in both of my eyes. Didn’t say It was a cataract and my vision hadn’t been impacted to my knowledge yet. I’ll find out in a few months I guess. At $3 a pay period I think it’ll be worth it

For those looking for prescription sunglasses UHC standard gives you up to $200 towards frames. I was able to get a pair of Justin Ray-bans, mirrored lens for $90 last year through my DR. They don't cover Costa or Oakley.

BCBS is $140 towards frames, $200 if you get the high coverage.

Zenni is also a good spot for glasses online.

For those looking for prescription sunglasses UHC standard gives you up to $200 towards frames. I was able to get a pair of Justin Ray-bans, mirrored lens for $90 last year through my DR. They don't cover Costa or Oakley.

BCBS is $140 towards frames, $200 if you get the high coverage.

Zenni is also a good spot for glasses online.
If your eyes are good can you get a basically nothing script?

My guess would be no. I did ask if I could pay out of pocket for contacts and get regular sunglasses and the lady said she couldn't get it to work. She didn't say it wasn't allowed just that she couldn't get it to go through.
I’ve had my eye dr run through “frame only” for non Rx sunglasses when I wanted some for running with my contacts. The receipt was auto processed and reimbursed by FSA.

Anyone interested in Rx or even standard Oakleys, look into Oakley SI. I know they advertise towards military and LE, but prices are excellent. I don’t remember how I got eligibility, but I think it was just through verifying my FAA email and you’re eligible.

Thanks for the info, I need to find a plan for lasik
I have VSP high because my husband any I both get a new pair of glasses every year and it’s about $420/yr for us both, usually pay nothing out of pocket to get both pairs with a $200 frame allowance.

VSP high also has a LASIK benefit where providers will do LASIK for a flat pre-negotiated rate. You’d have to cross shop that with the radio ad LASIK and see if it makes sense to subscribe to a plan.

I’ve had my eye dr run through “frame only” for non Rx sunglasses when I wanted some for running with my contacts. The receipt was auto processed and reimbursed by FSA.

Anyone interested in Rx or even standard Oakleys, look into Oakley SI. I know they advertise towards military and LE, but prices are excellent. I don’t remember how I got eligibility, but I think it was just through verifying my FAA email and you’re eligible.

I have VSP high because my husband any I both get a new pair of glasses every year and it’s about $420/yr for us both, usually pay nothing out of pocket to get both pairs with a $200 frame allowance.

VSP high also has a LASIK benefit where providers will do LASIK for a flat pre-negotiated rate. You’d have to cross shop that with the radio ad LASIK and see if it makes sense to subscribe to a plan.
My Oakley SI ran out and now they use a new system and I couldn’t get approved.

Back
Top Bottom