Car registration

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoak

I plan on bringing my car to the academy. For those who have brought their car from out of state. Did you have to register your car with Oklahoma plates?

Heck naw. In fact your pay stub says you work in Washington DC so you have literally no resident claim to Oklahoma.

Somewhat related question. My tags expire while I'm at the academy. I will be driving my car while I'm there. Should I go ahead and get them renewed or risk it until after I get back?

I lived in OKC for 2 years before starting the academy as a student. I speak from experience when I say OKC cops do NOT play and it seems that out of state tags are a target for them and theyd love to see you there with expired tags.. If it were me, id just renew before i get to OKC

Somewhat related question. My tags expire while I'm at the academy. I will be driving my car while I'm there. Should I go ahead and get them renewed or risk it until after I get back?
I'd renew them before you get here if i were you.

This is a different but related question. When you get to your assigned facility do you have to register in that state or can you keep you registration in your home state? I have someone in my home state who could get my tag for me every year and mail it to me.

If you live in a state for a particular time period, you are expected to register your vehicles and license in that state. These laws are state enforced and differ by each state.

This is a different but related question. When you get to your assigned facility do you have to register in that state or can you keep you registration in your home state? I have someone in my home state who could get my tag for me every year and mail it to me.
Be aware that states usually have requirements about when you become a resident and should have that process done by. In the states that I’ve lived in, typically you’re required to become a resident after 90 days.

An example of other weird laws that could be applicable: In VA, even if your vehicle is registered out of state, but you ‘garage’ it in the state for more than 30 days, you are still required to notify your county/city and pay personal property tax on it.

You don't have to register your car in OKC if you are not permanently moving there but per Oklahoma law if you stay there more than 2 weeks you have to pay a temporary resident driver tax. The tax rate depends on how long you are staying there and the value of the vehicle. The longer you stay and higher the value the more you pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom