Academy Rental Cars

bananag

So I guess the academy has been doing rental cars instead of shuttles, but they’re going back to shuttles? I hardshipped out of a center and am now in a tower and attending the tower class next month. I had a reservation all set up with a flight and rental car. But its now rescinded? I guess there’s a very specific situation cited in the CBA that allows for a rental car but I don’t fall into that. Just looking for some additional info and hoping its not true!

So I guess the academy has been doing rental cars instead of shuttles, but they’re going back to shuttles? I hardshipped out of a center and am now in a tower and attending the tower class next month. I had a reservation all set up with a flight and rental car. But its now rescinded? I guess there’s a very specific situation cited in the CBA that allows for a rental car but I don’t fall into that. Just looking for some additional info and hoping its not true!
I fell into the same issue, we may even be in the same tower class. I am now making the drive with the cost comparison of common air carrier. We dove pretty deep into the CBA and FAATP and unless you have a disability or undo burden that the shuttle prevents you from using, then there is no other option.

I fell into the same issue, we may even be in the same tower class. I am now making the drive with the cost comparison of common air carrier. We dove pretty deep into the CBA and FAATP and unless you have a disability or undo burden that the shuttle prevents you from using, then there is no other option.
I might also be in the same class. Did you guys get a 9/7 start date for terminal transfers?

There is a hotel that offers a car through enterprise for $10 a day. I used this when I went to OKC in Feb 2020 for AT-COACH training. I can dig for the hotel name. $300 a month out of your own pocket might be worth it for someone.

Does anyone know if driving your personal vehicle to OKC is an option? I live in Maine currently and my concern is that I would be placed in a facility far away from Maine (like most of them are) and not have enough time to travel back home and then move to the new location. Especially where some facilities appear to give you 2 days to get there post-Academy. side note: I am only in the beginning stages of the hiring process but I am a "planner" when it comes to life so I'm just trying to get some questions answered.

Does anyone know if driving your personal vehicle to OKC is an option? I live in Maine currently and my concern is that I would be placed in a facility far away from Maine (like most of them are) and not have enough time to travel back home and then move to the new location. Especially where some facilities appear to give you 2 days to get there post-Academy. side note: I am only in the beginning stages of the hiring process but I am a "planner" when it comes to life so I'm just trying to get some questions answered.
The posts in this thread almost exclusively pertain to rental cars for BUE’s, not new hire classes.

You can bring your own car.

You can drive but they are only compensating you for the cost of flying you from your home to OKC.

Having your vehicle there in OKC is definitely nice. Fairly likely you’d get assigned a facility far enough from Maine that would not allow you enough time to drive home, and back to new facility. If you really want a car there, look at renting, otherwise just ride the shuttle.

Take your car. Life will be better with one. You get an additional 8 days of change of station leave. If you want more, you can take leave without pay. I took an additional 3 weeks with no pay to move my family.

Take your car. Life will be better with one. You get an additional 8 days of change of station leave. If you want more, you can take leave without pay. I took an additional 3 weeks with no pay to move my family.
You don’t get an additional 8 days of COS. You get 64 hours of COS leave to use within 2 years of change of duty station no matter what. There is not an additional benefit here.

edit for correction

Last edited:
You don’t get an additional 8 days of COS. You get 48 hours of COS leave to use within 2 years of change of duty station no matter what. There is not an additional benefit here.
We’ll that sucks. I got 64 hours 6 years ago and it had to be used within a year in addition to my 3 travel days.

Back
Top Bottom