Operational Info​

Facility Level History​

Old LevelNew LevelEffective Date
982/12/2023

External Links​

A/FD

Local Area​

External Links​

Anyone have any information on what its like working at this facility or how living in corpus is like?

Working the tower is slow almost all the time. Two different approach airspaces: Valley Approach and Corpus Approach. Valley works along the Mexico border from Brownsville to 20 west of McAllen. Corpus works the international and Navy airports in Corpus. Navy is the majority of traffic, probably 75%. Lots and lots of IFR practice approaches.
Traffic levels are on the rise again, just a few points short of the level 9 buffer. Open 24 hours.
If you like Mexican food or TexMex, you'll fit in. Minor league baseball and hockey games to go to.
Hot in the spring, summer, and fall. Windyish most of the time, which is good, otherwise the heat would be unbearable.

If I make it through the hiring process/academy, I would love to head there. Its my hometown. Has anyone straight out of academy been assigned there?

I wouldn't count on it. The FAA has moved to offering academy grads (terminal) level 4-7 only facilities. Crazier things have happened though.

Won't get corpus w/o prior exp. MAF ABI and ELP are all getting academy grads

Anyone still here, just wondering how the facility is for someone looking to ERR?
They get a solid mix of all experience levels, it's extremely diversified that way. Prior military, center, tower-only, up/down, all their boxes are checked. Probably expect two years of training unless you have radar experience. Required hours before certification on each position are fairly low, go in with the mentality that you need to pick things up quickly. Fairly complex with tons of required coordination on every position.

It's a good city to live in, nothing is really out of the way. 20 minutes to everywhere, 30 minutes if you're going to the beach on Mustang/Padre Island.

Is the tower in a weird spot? I would have thought it would have been between the runways.

Is the tower in a weird spot? I would have thought it would have been between the runways.
Used to be just a little east of the terminal. There was a terminal redesign that would have made blind spots on large portions of runway 13. Moved to the current location around 2001 to be out of the way of everything and not impact any future expansions.

Back
Top Bottom