Debating between two facilities...

dbqilm13

FAA
Facility
ATL Atlanta Tower
Thinking of between STL and FFZ in Phoenix. Does anyone of have a recommendation between the two facilities? I was at a 5, and washed out of a 12.

Depending on what type of traffic you want to work. FFZ is going to be more flight school and foreign pilots, definitely a ‘busy’ airport. STL is more structured and commercial style traffic with a bunch more procedures.

Were you in Juneau before? You may want to see if they can offer you a lower level tower to give you the best shot at getting checked out. I wouldn’t come to STL if Juneau is your only tower experience. Not trying to be a jerk but this place surprises a lot of people due to the complexity.

Were you in Juneau before? You may want to see if they can offer you a lower level tower to give you the best shot at getting checked out. I wouldn’t come to STL if Juneau is your only tower experience. Not trying to be a jerk but this place surprises a lot of people due to the complexity.
From looking at it, does look like it could be complex, and yes JNU was my previous facility. Thats why i was thinking of FFZ, probably have a better shot there

Uhh, FFZ does 50% more ops than STL with half as many runways... their success rate is 10% higher though. It's a toss-up, I'd definitely pick where you actually want to live.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if you’ve only certified at a level 5 and washed at a 12, they’re probably gonna only give you 5 or below unless your ATM recommends something different.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if you’ve only certified at a level 5 and washed at a 12, they’re probably gonna only give you 5 or below unless your ATM recommends something different.
Oh god I wish that were the case, nah he can absolutely be offered 7's and 8's though. Extremely desirable ones too.

Good luck with whatever you decide. If you come here we will get you checked out if you put in the work. If your picking based on where you want to live id pick Arizona, and I work at STL lol. This place aint no gem...

I don't know anything about the facility or operation at STL. Personally I'd rather live in Arizona than Missouri. But that subject will be different for everyone.
The ops stats do look pretty legit at FFZ.
However, the 3rd worst controller I've ever met pseudo washed out of a 6 up/down then legit washed out of a 7 up/down then certified at Falcon.

Im leaning towards living in AZ, so thinking FFZ will be the spot to pick, hopefully after sometime there i can ERR to Phoenix, but we will see what happens. ATM recommended me for level 9 and below and was told id have 8 and below tower only to pick from.

Im leaning towards living in AZ, so thinking FFZ will be the spot to pick, hopefully after sometime there i can ERR to Phoenix, but we will see what happens. ATM recommended me for level 9 and below and was told id have 8 and below tower only to pick from.
HOU or DAL would be my picks for an 8 tower only.

There is no ERRing into PHX. If/when they do become eligible under NCEPT they will be one of the most competitive facilities. I’d pick living in AZ over MO but I wouldn’t do it just because you think your chances of getting to PHX will be better.

Based on talking to people who used to work at FFZ you should certify quickly if you can work a busy pattern. The staffing still looks good so you shouldn’t have too much of a problem bidding elsewhere if you choose to do so.

There is no ERRing into PHX. If/when they do become eligible under NCEPT they will be one of the most competitive facilities. I’d pick living in AZ over MO but I wouldn’t do it just because you think your chances of getting to PHX will be better.

Based on talking to people who used to work at FFZ you should certify quickly if you can work a busy pattern. The staffing still looks good so you shouldn’t have too much of a problem bidding elsewhere if you choose to do so.
If PHX opened up that would be ideal, but thats not the reason im going there. I do like the lifestyle down there and would be happy living in the PHX area.

If they were below national average they would be on my list as well, but the only 8s that are below Nat Avg is ANC, and STL
Ahhh, you're right.... I had last month's PPT open, but I was looking at 2017 data and never switched to the current page.
MEM, MDW, and PDX are options too.

Ahhh, you're right.... I had last month's PPT open, but I was looking at 2017 data and never switched to the current page.
MEM, MDW, and PDX are options too.
Where are you seeing MEM. I see them at 91.2% which is above the average

Back
Top Bottom