Declining an FOL?

Hamburger

So I was just offered a TOL. At the same time, I am just starting a very good job that could be a career in a different field, and I'm conflicted on which I should take. I know the hiring process can be long so I was wondering: If I accept the TOL, and go through the pre-employment process and get a FOL, and decline it, would that kill my chances of getting in later?

Solution
So I was just offered a TOL. At the same time, I am just starting a very good job that could be a career in a different field, and I'm conflicted on which I should take. I know the hiring process can be long so I was wondering: If I accept the TOL, and go through the pre-employment process and get a FOL, and decline it, would that kill my chances of getting in later?
I had a classmate in OKC who declined an FOL, and then went through the entire process again and went to class the following year. It’s possible.
It may, but I wouldn't let that sway you if you are more interested in the other career field. This job isn't the end all be all.

I had a classmate in OKC who declined an FOL, and then went through the entire process again and went to class the following year. It’s possible.

Solution
Yes!!

Monetarily speaking… reaching those 120k figures in ATC can take a minute if you start off on the terminal side. Much easier if you’re enroute. There’s a lot of training delays in the agency at this time. If you have a family and need to provide this might be a factor for you. If you signed the TOL today and everything goes right and you certify it could be 2.5 years from today if you’re terminal and as long as 4-5 years if you’re enroute

People who are saying yes on this forum have no idea. I had 2 FOLs before I finally accepted my final one. The FAA needs controllers and people who qualify, and it's a chronic issue. They may deny you once because of it it so, but highly doubtfully you're "blackballed" from the FAA
Do you think everything going well in the pre-employment process gave you an upper hand with getting in the other times?

I declined my first FOL for terminal in 2016 and got hired on with an en route FOL the very next bid in 2017. It’s possible for sure, but on the other hand I know a lot of people who never got one opportunity before they aged out.

Back
Top Bottom