DOD Germany (Long Post)

I’m starting to wish I put in for it
As a whole, minus the pay, I do not regret going DOD at all. My last facility is down the shitter, close to 6 day work weeks, there is talking of increasing the staffing number, 5-7 years before people can leave.

Something I'm seeing elsewhere in military forums is the subject of German authorities pursuing taxes on American service members there. Of note was this "Things that will make you particularly vulnerable: Marrying a German citizen, buying instead of renting your home, purchasing any time share or vacation property, registering with your city, registering in the census, registering your pets, your spouse getting employment in Germany or remotely in the US but working from Germany, or anything else that could be construed as an intention to reside within Germany full time."`

Anyway given this is civilian work, and ze Germans apparently reinterpret the SoFA to do whatever they want against military members, I'm curious what they do to DoD civilians on open-ended work - it's not a fixed tour length like a military PCS is, right?

Something I'm seeing elsewhere in military forums is the subject of German authorities pursuing taxes on American service members there. Of note was this "Things that will make you particularly vulnerable: Marrying a German citizen, buying instead of renting your home, purchasing any time share or vacation property, registering with your city, registering in the census, registering your pets, your spouse getting employment in Germany or remotely in the US but working from Germany, or anything else that could be construed as an intention to reside within Germany full time."`

Anyway given this is civilian work, and ze Germans apparently reinterpret the SoFA to do whatever they want against military members, I'm curious what they do to DoD civilians on open-ended work - it's not a fixed tour length like a military PCS is, right?

This is a good read, thank you!

Do you have to be a CPC to be a DOD controller?
Not necessarily FAA/CPC, but you do need certifications. All DoD announcements list their specific requirements. If it’s a tower position, you’ll need a CTO, if it’s a RAPCON, you’ll need arrival/approach quals. If it’s an up/down, you’ll probably need both.

Back
Top Bottom