EV Chargers at facility

And this is a thread for people who aren't commercial users, but are instead wanting to use their daily drivers to drive, daily, to work. Not sure what your point is.
Good luck towing your boat to the cabin in a lightning, even ford admits towing seriously drains the battery, dramatically curtailing range

Good luck towing your boat to the cabin in a lightning, even ford admits towing seriously drains the battery, dramatically curtailing range
I think people that need to tow a boat is a smaller group than people mainly driving to work. But I’m not an expert.

You can also have a model 3 and an old f250 for way cheaper than a new f150

Most people I know that tow boats aren’t going to a cabin. They are going to a lake within an hour drive. Perfectly acceptable. Perfect for around town construction outfits. Can tow and haul plenty.

My Tesla costs me about $90 a month with some slow charging at work a few times a week. That’s 80 miles a day at a minimum six days a week with mandatory OT. My Tacoma was $65 every four days. The trade offs are well worth it for 90% of people. It’s just the ones who think they need to tow their boats 1,000 miles without stopping are the loudest complainers.

Bold of you to assume I can afford a lightning, boat, and a cabin on raises that don't keep pace with inflation.
In all these infrastructure bills I never understood why they don’t just make every gas station and big box store put in a fast charger
I think King Biden should just make a law mandating that every American install a super charger in their driveway that charges everyone's car for free. That way, no one will have an excuse to keep polluting with those dirty fossil fuels anymore.

Bold of you to assume I can afford a lightning, boat, and a cabin on raises that don't keep pace with inflation.

I think King Biden should just make a law mandating that every American install a super charger in their driveway that charges everyone's car for free. That way, no one will have an excuse to keep polluting with those dirty fossil fuels anymore.
Sorry some people want to see the world progress and not keep using horse and buggy. You are the what about the horse and buggy guy

I think King Biden should just make a law mandating that every American install a super charger in their driveway that charges everyone's car for free. That way, no one will have an excuse to keep polluting with those dirty fossil fuels ananymore
Shit I'd settle for any sort of reliable public transport I already pay a ton in taxes. If the government put panels and chargers up we could create jobs and improve infrastructure but hurr durr communism.

Remember we don't need high speed trains cuz of hyperloop. Still no hyperloop though, but twitters great?

Shit I'd settle for any sort of reliable public transport I already pay a ton in taxes. If the government put panels and chargers up we could create jobs and improve infrastructure but hurr durr communism.

Remember we don't need high speed trains cuz of hyperloop. Still no hyperloop though, but twitters great?
EVS aren’t the future hydrogen is. I think it’s funny that people complain about the what ifs in the probably less than 2 percent scenarios of needing an EV truck that can tow. Most of the time you’d be better off served by just renting the truck when you need it. 85 percent of trips are less than 15 miles but everyone says they need 400 mile batteries for the one time they actually drive that far. But I agree, just give me some good god damn busses and trains.

I4 m50 owner. You’d be surprised how well BMW does electric. Thought about a new M3 though. Owned a Tesla before too.
How are liking the 2 years of Electrify America charging that comes with it?

I’ve heard good things about the i4, but EA seems to be shit.

I have only charged outside of my home or work 3 times. One was a loaner with low battery and one was a bad planning stop and one was just a precaution. This is all in two years time. If you road trip or live next to chargers it would make sense but the time vs money saved isn’t enough to sit at a charger instead of just charging at home. I do have a movie theater nearby that has free charging which is fun once a month maybe.

You have to leave people a choice though, forcing someone to do something always has the opposite effect.
Exactly. I don't take exception with EVs. I take exception with 32andBelow first instinct being to use the government to force free citizens and businesses to conform to whatever his agenda aligns with because he believes he has taken a morally superior position and anyone who argues for the other side is wrong. But not to worry, he has assured me he is not a fascist.

For the record, I think EVs have a place in the market but the government shouldn't be taking my tax dollars and subsidizing people to buy them in order to make them economically viable. There are enough elon fanboys in existence that there would still be demand for them without the incentives but the government has distorted the free market by artificially increasing demand. Business men pursuing their own self interest can make the decision to install superchargers at their place of business if they want. If walmart wants to install a supercharger in hopes that you'll come shop while you're charging, they can do the cost benefit analysis to determine if it's worth their investment to build them and if you build it, they will come.

It's also disingenuous to pretend that EVS are environmentally friendly while discounting the environmental impacts of lithium and cobalt mining. Or ignoring that you're charging up on a grid supplied by a coal power plant. With all that said, I think my next vehicle will be electric but won't be until advancements are made. The idea getting more miles per dollar is appealing, especially since I see the price of oil only going up in the future. I also like the idea of less regular maintenance like oil changes and less moving parts that can break that can be found in a traditional powertrains.

Exactly. I don't take exception with EVs. I take exception with 32andBelow first instinct being to use the government to force free citizens and businesses to conform to whatever his agenda aligns with because he believes he has taken a morally superior position and anyone who argues for the other side is wrong. But not to worry, he has assured me he is not a fascist.

For the record, I think EVs have a place in the market but the government shouldn't be taking my tax dollars and subsidizing people to buy them in order to make them economically viable. There are enough elon fanboys in existence that there would still be demand for them without the incentives but the government has distorted the free market by artificially increasing demand. Business men pursuing their own self interest can make the decision to install superchargers at their place of business if they want. If walmart wants to install a supercharger in hopes that you'll come shop while you're charging, they can do the cost benefit analysis to determine if it's worth their investment to build them and if you build it, they will come.

It's also disingenuous to pretend that EVS are environmentally friendly while discounting the environmental impacts of lithium and cobalt mining. Or ignoring that you're charging up on a grid supplied by a coal power plant. With all that said, I think my next vehicle will be electric but won't be until advancements are made. The idea getting more miles per dollar is appealing, especially since I see the price of oil only going up in the future. I also like the idea of less regular maintenance like oil changes and less moving parts that can break that can be found in a traditional powertrains.

I did about a 2800 mile trip with my M3 back in the Spring (NAS Key West -> Fort Rucker -> NAS Pensacola -> Fort Benning -> Fort Bragg -> MCAS Cherry Point -> NAS Key West) and the charging was absolutely superb. The built in "stop here and charge" was absolutely accurate and solid (granted I was in ideal conditions) in comparison to using any other app. My only complaint was that I could not select an arrival state of charge (I like to arrive at a destination with 35%, no logical reason other than that is my comfort zone).

The one time I did have an issue with my M3 (I picked her up used with about 9k miles on her) was that the 12volt battery died shortly after purchase (4 hours to MIA with traffic from Key West) and they sent a tech down in a Model S Plaid to replace the battery within 5 hours under warranty. Chevy or Ford sure as hell would not have done that. To come full circle though, I also find it ironic that people demand to have a choice in something yet in others demand "big daddy" government step in and fix a perceived problem.

I originally was going to go with the i4 M50, but I just could not depend on Electrify America for charging. I'd still like to drive one at some point :)
And

The EA charging network is trash. They are just barely good enough. But for the area I take my long trips (500miles) there is a lot of other options so it’s not an issue. I try and use them since they are free, but in total maybe they saved me $100 on charging on road trips total.

I even can use the newer tesla super chargers (2 stations) on my usual road trip. I do miss that (original tesla) charging network, but what is there is ‘adequate’ for my needs. Wish they figured out a standard earlier!

But realistically, we also have a new shiny gas SUV so it’s easy to say I don’t want the hassle and extra time and dealing with charging so let’s take that.

On the other hand, not regularly going to a gas station is magical.

At my parent’s house where I end my road trip they pay .06 a kWh delivered due to municipal electricity. So literally when I am buzzing around there it costs me less then .02 a mile. Crazy cheap. Too bad the car is far from it.

Electric cars are great for certain of use cases, but not all. Any sensible person can cut through the posturing and BS and see that.

You are aware the federal government pays the oil industry at a tune of 15 billion a year in subsidies, plus state subsidies of around 6 billion right? You're ok with those I imagine.

You are aware the federal government pays the oil industry at a tune of 15 billion a year in subsidies, plus state subsidies of around 6 billion right? You're ok with those I imagine.
I'm not ok with any subsidies for any industries. Fuck the farmers. Fuck the microchip makers. Fuck the guy who lives on the mountain in the middle of remote Alaska that has a post office down the street where he can mail a letter anywhere for 63 cents. Fuck the airlines, especially the remote communities who need subsidized "essential air service" for regular commercial service so they don't have to drive 2 hours to a real airport. Fuck the banks. Fuck them all. Let the free market decide what to produce and what it costs.

I'm not ok with any subsidies for any industries. Fuck the farmers. Fuck the microchip makers. Fuck the guy who lives on the mountain in the middle of remote Alaska that has a post office down the street where he can mail a letter anywhere for 63 cents. Fuck the airlines, especially the remote communities who need subsidized "essential air service" for regular commercial service so they don't have to drive 2 hours to a real airport. Fuck the banks. Fuck them all. Let the free market decide what to produce and what it costs.
The free market is a fucking farce. Yah bro these high gas prices are driving so many new oil refineries into the market just like the econ text book says. I can’t think of any industry that is like expanding and not turning into a duopoly

Back
Top Bottom