Hiring Bid Experienced Bid: FAA-ATO-19-ATCEXP-60073

Per the CBA:
New Entrant: A new entrant will retain his/her current federal pay up to the maximum of the Developmental-3 pay band.

So basically your GS basic pay plus the facility’s locality up to the D3 max.
This is the killer for a lot of DOD controllers. GS-12 to a level 6 or 7 is a pretty big pay cut in the beginning but it’s all about what you want. Should certify in 4-12 months so it’s shouldnt kill a person

This is the killer for a lot of DOD controllers. GS-12 to a level 6 or 7 is a pretty big pay cut in the beginning but it’s all about what you want. Should certify in 4-12 months so it’s shouldnt kill a person
Also, you’re pulling E-5 with dependents BAH while training all the way to CPC...

Also, you’re pulling E-5 with dependents BAH while training all the way to CPC...
Not always true. Some have used it to finish a degree or gave it to their spouse. If I still had mine and re entered training I would only use it for the first 6 months because it drops 20% of the BAH rate every 6 months until you hit 40 %

It will definitely benefit pay wise. You will check out quicker and get CPC pay instead of going to a high level and taking awhile in the D band. If you go to a high level as a CPC then you get half the pay raise just walking in the door. So for the most part your base pay will be 105-115k just for transferring.

A lot are taking people’s comments the wrong way. I have been all 3. Air Force, DOD and FAA. Been at a 7 and been at a 12. FAA is different. Also everyone has their reasons for turning down lists. If you think your experience warrants going high TRACON levels then wait it out bid after bid. If you can’t accept some level 6 in Cali then don’t do it. Simple as that. Nobody is trying to shit on you and your exp or act like the FAA is superior to others, it’s just different. Take it how you want. Maybe when you sit down at a scope and everything is combined and no handoff and your asshole tightens up real nicely you will remember us saying it’s different

You been to Campbell?
I wish. Tried for 6 years. Humphreys, Hood, and a rotation to Latvia.

Great. Trying to figure out timing. Thank you.
I received the same dates.

Also in the email, it said: "If none of these dates work for you, please let me know a date that works and I’ll see if we can accommodate it." So if you had a valid enough reason it seems they may allow a little more time. Hope this helps!

I was curious if there is a site or tool I can use to try and figure out locality, is the percentage number a portion of your salary added on top? Or is it it’s own separate thing?

I was curious if there is a site or tool I can use to try and figure out locality, is the percentage number a portion of your salary added on top? Or is it it’s own separate thing?

So if I'm understanding the pay chart correctly we will all start at D1 and use whatever level facility we are selected for to determine the minimum pay and from there as we progress thru training we move to D2 and D3 until we are CPC qualified? Locality is the % off your base pay. That seem correct? I'm also expecting a significant pay cut so trying to gauge what housing we should be able to afford (11 year E-6 here)

So if I'm understanding the pay chart correctly we will all start at D1 and use whatever level facility we are selected for to determine the minimum pay and from there as we progress thru training we move to D2 and D3 until we are CPC qualified? Locality is the % off your base pay. That seem correct? I'm also expecting a significant pay cut so trying to gauge what housing we should be able to afford (11 year E-6 here)
What level facility you going to?

What level facility you going to?
Dont have a list yet. Got the all clear awaiting ATO assignment on the 6th from my HR rep so hoping to be on the next list drop. I'm just gonna go ahead and "budget" myself as a level 6 so I can get a good idea of a medium level expected pay.

Dont have a list yet. Got the all clear awaiting ATO assignment on the 6th from my HR rep so hoping to be on the next list drop. I'm just gonna go ahead and "budget" myself as a level 6 so I can get a good idea of a medium level expected pay.

What I did to calculate was gross up my BAH and BAS by multiplying by 1.22. Added that to my military base pay to get an idea of total compensation. You can Google IRS Publication 15 to determine your new federal tax withholding and use TurboTax's TaxCaster to get an idea of your final tax burden. Don't forget to factor in the cost of healthcare, which can be found on OPM's website and searching through their health plans. I did the math as an E-5 a few years ago in an area that had a BAH rate of $1500. I would have needed a level 6 to break even. Now as an E-6 in a higher cost of living area (BAH $2163), I'll need at least a level 7 to even come close.

What I did to calculate was gross up my BAH and BAS by multiplying by 1.22. Added that to my military base pay to get an idea of total compensation. You can Google IRS Publication 15 to determine your new federal tax withholding and use TurboTax's TaxCaster to get an idea of your final tax burden. Don't forget to factor in the cost of healthcare, which can be found on OPM's website and searching through their health plans. I did the math as an E-5 a few years ago in an area that had a BAH rate of $1500. I would have needed a level 6 to break even. Now as an E-6 in a higher cost of living area (BAH $2163), I'll need at least a level 7 to even come close.
My only big concern with the transition is obviously figuring healthcare costs with our "normal bills" to get an idea on what we could actually afford for living expenses. I have a buddy who was hired a few years back who is also married with 2 little ones so hes given me good info on a good affordable healthcare plan so we plan to use that as our baseline idea. We obviously plan on renting at our first facility so that's just where I've had confusion on figure the pay system. I will be using my GI Bill so that supplement will be nice but I do also know that drops a percentage after 6 months and continues to drop. We are renting now and I'm not looking at buying a house till we know we are somewhere we really enjoy and want to settle in.

My only big concern with the transition is obviously figuring healthcare costs with our "normal bills" to get an idea on what we could actually afford for living expenses. I have a buddy who was hired a few years back who is also married with 2 little ones so hes given me good info on a good affordable healthcare plan so we plan to use that as our baseline idea. We obviously plan on renting at our first facility so that's just where I've had confusion on figure the pay system. I will be using my GI Bill so that supplement will be nice but I do also know that drops a percentage after 6 months and continues to drop. We are renting now and I'm not looking at buying a house till we know we are somewhere we really enjoy and want to settle in.

Healthcare is a huge expense on the outside. I'm budgeting $6k per year for the Blue Cross plan and associated copays.

It’ll be D1 or lowest D band the facility has. Some facilities don’t have D1. Could be D2 or D3

Back
Top Bottom