Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

Just curious, do y'all being a couple mean anything to the FAA?

If you're both being hired OTS right now, no. Ideally you'll have kids already or soon, so you can get divorced and then one of you can hardship to the other's location "to be with the kids" (and then you can get remarried again), because there's no other way you'll go to the same place.

If your spouse is already an FAA controller, they will attempt to get you a slot at their facility, probably subject to level rules (i.e. if it's a terminal fac, only level 7 and below). I don't know much about that though.

If you're both being hired OTS right now, no. Ideally you'll have kids already or soon, so you can get divorced and then one of you can hardship to the other's location "to be with the kids" (and then you can get remarried again), because there's no other way you'll go to the same place.

If your spouse is already an FAA controller, they will attempt to get you a slot at their facility, probably subject to level rules (i.e. if it's a terminal fac, only level 7 and below). I don't know much about that though.

No, that's not right.

We have turned in paperwork to our POC which has been put in the system. They can't guarantee that we will go to the Academy at the same time, but if we happen to be in the same class, wherever top score picks, we both go. If we are in different classes, the first to graduate picks and the second automatically follows if they also graduate. As per our POC. But since we are doing all our stuff at the same time and they seem to be spreading people out quite a bit in the process, we should be at the Academy at our around the same time.

Last edited:
Bruh.. the FAA isn’t Baskin Robbins. They can’t find out what you don’t tell them if there’s no paper trail...
Well, I think I was more so referring to the people who post on public internet forums like this one asking “is my smoking weed going to be a problem?” and then other people give the ole “what they don’t know won’t hurt them” advice. If you post on the internet that you’ve done something, there certainly is a paper trail.

Sorry, but where does it say that in that page?

"What is TETRA?
An acronym for Ten-Eleven-Twelve Radar Assessment. This is an acadmey class for those going to 10-12 TRACONs (N90 specifically, so far in 2018). New hires have job jeporady, but failures may be retained."

I CTRL+F'd though the entire FAQ and that was the only thing regarding TRACONs I could find.

Tower and TRACON are a subset of Terminal. Centers are what Enroute classes train for.

No, that's not right.

We have turned in paperwork to our POC which has been put in the system. They can't guarantee that we will go to the Academy at the same time, but if we happen to be in the same class, wherever top score picks, we both go. If we are in different classes, the first to graduate picks and the second automatically follows if they also graduate. As per our POC. But since we are doing all our stuff at the same time and they seem to be spreading people out quite a bit in the process, we should be at the Academy at our around the same time.
Well that is new. I'd get that in writing with a signature from the ATO if I was you.

READ the FREAKING FAQ... and learn to do some research on your own. This is not a new question. Very few questions are new questions, especially regarding the hiring process. You're going to have to do a lot of self-studying if you get hired, may as well start now.

There are no standalone TRACONs that are level 7/8 or lower, so you won't be getting one unless you applied to the N90-specific bid (and god help you if so). If you get an up/down, you'll go back to the academy for RTF (the TRACON class) after you certify on local at your facility.

take a chill pill my dude, it was a question LOL and an explanation of TRACON isn't in the FAQ... this is a thread for those who just got hired, don't expect me to know everything :^)

You can get higher than 7s for spouse accommodation.

No, that's not right.

This is correct. I know a couple who were in the same class together (enroute) and they were both guaranteed to go to the same facility together, determined by the pick of whoever scored higher in the class.

take a chill pill my dude, it was a question LOL and an explanation of TRACON isn't in the FAQ... this is a thread for those who just got hired, don't expect me to know everything :^)

I don't know, I guess I'm the kind of person who wants to know as much as I can about a subject and will dig deep on it, and not everyone is that way.

But if you can get all the way through the application process, up to the point of getting a TOL, without either 1) googling what the options are in your possible career or 2) googling a specific term when someone mentions it... that strikes me as lazy. No one expects anyone to know everything, but you could at least bother to read the wikipedia article on ATC.

I don't know, I guess I'm the kind of person who wants to know as much as I can about a subject and will dig deep on it, and not everyone is that way.

But if you can get all the way through the application process, up to the point of getting a TOL, without either 1) googling what the options are in your possible career or 2) googling a specific term when someone mentions it... that strikes me as lazy. No one expects anyone to know everything, but you could at least bother to read the wikipedia article on ATC.

Wow this is my first time using Wikipedia, very cool site! Gonna spend a few minutes looking through this, thanks!! :^)

What if you have kids but were never married? Would that qualify for a hardship and does that change if spouse is non FAA employee?

When did people get their MedXPress email. I turned in my Pre-Employment Interview Worksheet last week and still haven't gotten the MedXPress email. Also, I'm approaching my 10 day deadline of still not receiving my background check information.

When did people get their MedXPress email. I turned in my Pre-Employment Interview Worksheet last week and still haven't gotten the MedXPress email. Also, I'm approaching my 10 day deadline of still not receiving my background check information.
I got mine 2 days after sending my worksheet. It did say that you could email if you don't receive your instructions by 3 days before your appt. Your CIL should have your security POC listed, you can contact them after the 10 business days.

Upon completing the e-qip, is anyone informing their current employer(s) that they may be contacted? Not really sure how to approach that situation or if anything needs to be said at all.

Upon completing the e-qip, is anyone informing their current employer(s) that they may be contacted? Not really sure how to approach that situation or if anything needs to be said at all.

I did when I went through the process. I told them straight up what was going on and the reason I hadn’t told them earlier was because I didn’t have enough actionable information until then. I think it helped smooth over the situation. I also made sure to stress I still didn’t have a sure timeline on when my last day might be. You gotta go with whatever works with your relationship with them.

Upon completing the e-qip, is anyone informing their current employer(s) that they may be contacted?

Like denver said, better to tell them before they get the letter in the mail. I was going to tell my employer the Monday after I submitted it, and they'd already received it.

Back
Top Bottom