Facility Downgrades / Upgrades

Controller87

So I was pretty excited to talk to my fac rep at my new facility until he mentioned that the facility was being downgraded from a 5 to a 4. I'm praying that I will make it there in time to be grandfathered in and save pay.

I'm just curious if anyone knows what a general time line looks like from the time a facility downgrade is announced to when it's actually implemented?

When I was given my NEST selections to rank, I automatically put the only level 4 at the bottom of my list. I love my job and am still grateful to have one. BUT do I have any recourse if I get screwed and put at level 4 pay? I would have never put that facility that high on my list if I would have known I would be losing a significant amount of pay. It feels like a had the rug pulled from under me.

Again, just hoping to be grandfathered in and hope this is s moot point

what fac? a bunch of upgrades and downgrades just went through. The facility cards here reflect the current levels.

AGC. I'm just going off what the fac rep said down there. Is it true that I'll have 2 years to certify and retain level 5 pay?

Not sure what the answer is, but here is what Article 108, Section 11 of the 2016 CBA says:

Facility Pay Level Decrease:

Bargaining unit employees whose ATC FPL decreases shall be granted ATC FPL and pay retention as follows:

a. ATC Facility Pay Level Retention: Employees assigned to the facility on the effective date and transfers whose selection has been approved at the service area level on or before the effective date of the level decrease shall retain the previous higher-level CPC pay band for two (2) years from the effective date of the decrease. Transfers whose selection was approved at the service area level after the effective date and new hires assigned to the facility after the effective date shall be paid in accordance with the newly applicable pay band.

b. Pay Retention: At the expiration of ATC FPL Retention, employees assigned to the facility shall be entitled to Pay Retention. If Basic Pay exceeds the newly applicable CPC band maximum, employees shall receive fifty percent (50%) of the annual increase, identified in Section 9(a) of this Article, as an adjustment to Basic Pay and fifty percent (50%) will be paid in lump sum.

I just double checked and unless the effective date was pre-2014 (i didnt go back further than that), it hasn't happened yet. Once you have the FOL you will have 2 years to certify and keep that FOL level pay from the effective date. However, I'm not sure how it works if they backdate the effective date (example: AUS just got upgraded to a 9, but the effective date was Jan 2015). That would be a question for HR.

I just double checked and unless the effective date was pre-2014 (i didnt go back further than that), it hasn't happened yet. Once you have the FOL you will have 2 years to certify and keep that FOL level pay from the effective date. However, I'm not sure how it works if they backdate the effective date (example: AUS just got upgraded to a 9, but the effective date was Jan 2015). That would be a question for HR.

Do you have a file that shows who was all upgraded and downgraded and when the effective dates are?
If so, post it?

A friend that works at DAY said it got downgraded to a 4 recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the list of recent ones:

Downgrades
BDL 6>5
CID 6>5
CLE 9>8
DAY 5>4
DWH 7>5
EVV 6>5
IAD 10>9
LCH 6>5
NMM 6>0
PHL 12>11
PNE 5>4
ROC 7>6
VNY 8>7

Upgrades
SJC 6>7

I think the long term goal is to downgrade everything to a 5 except N90 to get people to go there.

One of the SSS here is on the negotiation team for the union. If you guys have any questions, post them here and I'll see if I can get them answered.

One of the SSS here is on the negotiation team for the union. If you guys have any questions, post them here and I'll see if I can get them answered.
Negotiation team for what? validation, tci?

It's odd to see CLE downgraded since they are supposed to be absorbing the TRACONs of CAK and MFD. Wouldn't that call for an increase in their level?

It's odd to see CLE downgraded since they are supposed to be absorbing the TRACONs of CAK and MFD. Wouldn't that call for an increase in their level?
From what I heard, even with the consolidation, there won't be enough traffic at CLE to keep them at a 9.

Back
Top Bottom